Sink Tip or Full Sinking Line?

2»

Replies

• Sage ManSage Man Posts: 195 Officer
    That's a wonderful fish.

I'm still learning so please forgive me. If that fish was at 35', did it literally take you 20 seconds to get that deep?

Aren't they rated by ips (inches per second). Did you use a heavily weighted fly?

Just axing...I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks for your response.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    No worries. It was probably closer to 30 seconds, but the water was clear and the fish were aggressive. I was using a #6 clouser, on an SL11-3h, medium lead eyes.
    No matter how you slice it, that's a wonderful fish. Worth counting to 30 seconds...that's for sure.

I'm still trying to get my mind around intermediate, sink tip, full sinking etc. :huh
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    Sage Man wrote: »
    No matter how you slice it, that's a wonderful fish. Worth counting to 30 seconds...that's for sure.

I'm still trying to get my mind around intermediate, sink tip, full sinking etc. :huh

Rio makes versi-tips, and Airflo has polyleaders, pretty handy of if you want to dabble with density compensated lines before jumping in with both feet. I'm primarily a beach and jetty guy, and my gear reflects that. You're going to have to do some experimenting of your own, but I promise you'll have a good time doing it. Keep us posted, and good luck!
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Sage Man wrote: »

Just remember that an "intermediate" is (a separate classification of) a FULL SINK ("S" denomination on the box) fly line. It was given its own denomination, I think, by the mfgrs. for the tarpon fishermen, which is probably the largest cadre of fly fishermen in warm salt water. This is why you have "Tarpon Taper," and "Tarpon Tamer," fly lines, in addition to all the other "S" offerings out there. What makes it really confusing, is that I think I have seen a fly line labeled, "WF-10, 11, 12-I" in the past. "I" = intermediate sink.

If ANY part of the fly line floats, it is given an "F/S" (Float/Sink) denomination on the box. Here it gets confusing, because you have so many choices in terms of the length of the sinking part and its relative density (how fast it sinks).

ODC's mention of the "Versi-tip," type fly line, is not a bad idea, if you only occasionally fish that deep water condition. I have the Sci. Angler's version of the same line, that I bought for emergency when traveling......AND I got a super good deal on it thru eBay. It is a small zippered pouch, about the size of 2 cigarette packs, placed side-by-side. It has 3 different sinking heads of varying densities and a floating running line. Mine is a 10 wt.....I don't know how small they come.
    .......Rick
    Thanks for that explanation Rick.

I'm now wondering if the versi-tip type line might not be the ticket. Since I have some experimenting to do, it would be nice to have all the options right there with me. Maybe ol St. Nick needs to get with the Elves and make that happen.

We're going back the week between Christmas and New Years. Watch it'll be 80 degrees and you'll need a floating line...who knows. Of course, that's the fun of it.

I want to wish you and all the guys on here a Happy Thanksgiving. We all have a lot to be thankful for. When your "problems" are what type of flyline you need, life's pretty good!

Take care!