Home General Freshwater Fishing

any frog lure fisherman around?

I moved down here from ohio about a year ago ive always did great with white frogs up there, tried umm dow here fished umm many times consistantly and nothing. finally got some bites on a watermelon zoom toad yesterday and today, but only 2 blows up in a hole year. im from the port richey area any advice on the a frog to use and or speed of fishing umm i always fished umm in ohio as slow as possible for it to stay a float, sped it up finally here and got a bite first cast then also got one om slow retrieve today. Also i noticed i dont see frogs around edges of ponds like i did up north. Are frogs a good lure down here? i have fished spro white frog and nothing at all have fished a bps black frog n nothing also.
:fishing

Replies

• SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    One of the differences between fishing in Ohio and fishing down here (while I am a bit further south than you) is that darker baits produce better. That shouldn't really matter on a reaction bait like a frog, but... you can't argue with results. I've had decent topwater luck with the darker green or brown frogs, and black buzzbaits. Retrieve is going to have a lot to do with conditions... different every day. I have more luck with weightless black or brown senkos, and then bottom fishing dark colored hula grubs and larger worm type baits.
  • mitch2106mitch2106 Posts: 105 Officer
    well thnx for the advice i use to kill with senkos too in ohio down here havnt caught nothing on senkos i just let umm sit on the bottom n just barely bounce my rod tip to give um little movent but they prob dont move much outta place. have both black with blue fleck and green pumpkin caugth nothing on umm but have had luck with junebug and green pumpkin ribbon tail worms 10" junebugs and 7.5 green pumpkins
    My best fish down here have come from what would call a "light" carolina type rig. Other than that, you can never go wrong with a black senko.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,427 Admiral
    I was gonna say the same thing I like the darker frogs ,stanley ribbit in Catalpa 3.5" , zoom horny toad in watermelon , junebug , or tree frog, rigged with a Owner TwistLock 5/0 3x strong.
    Hollow body frogs I like , koppers ,rivers2sea or spro.Tie them with a non-slip loop knot or canoeman loop knot and trim the legs about 1" shorter ,and thin them out a bit.Soft jerkbaits/flukes on a weighted hook is another sure bet , darker colors tied with a loop knot.. if your in tanic water, dark colors with flash.
    thanks alot guys appreciate all the advice, i have some spro frogs from ohio n i did the samething trimmed the legs they are all white tho worked great up there nothing down here ill have to try some different ones, also have been gettin some bites on zoom horney toad watermelon actually hooked a real nice bass that started pulling drag but then got off bites have just been few n far between
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    The Horny Toad is my goto bait in Florida and every where else too. In Florida I like the darker colors, especially the Junebug, Black and Watermelon. I work them along the edges of weed lines, in the lily pads and along the edges of canals or seawalls. In some places you can have pretty good luck dead sticking them to the bottom, just like you were describing your approach with the Senko.
    Sometimes I will rig up a big plastic craw (The bigger Yamamoto or a Wave Tiki craw) if I want some action on the deadfall into the weeds or between the pads. They have a better sinking action than the toads, I think. The Zoom speed craw is really good for this too.
  • Cobia CaptainCobia Captain Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I have had pretty good luck with frogs. The color to use depends on how overcast it is. If bright, use bright colored frogs, if overcast use dark. I have my best luck tossing the frog well back into the lily pads and fishing it out slowly. stopping for a couple of seconds when you cme off of a pad.
    :\Retired to go fishing!
    hmm interesting never thought about dead sticking the frog /toad ill have to try that ive heard of kvd swimming them under water, Thanks again guys always nice to learn something new
  • wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,022 Officer
    zoom frogs work well for me. I have been using the newer zoom swimmin super fluke and love it. more hits on these then the frogs.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

• cuckoocuckoo Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Ribbit... Watermelon Pearl...

100_1726.jpg
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • I get Froggy as much as possible! All my bass over 7#'s this year have come on recycled "JD'sCustomBaits" frogs. Battle tested and Bass approved! I like the natural greens and blacks, however I have a guide friend who fishes white with black perrper flake...and slays them. Good luck.
    Wilburz I've done ok on albino super flukes with just a 3/0 hook n weightless just giving it small twitches do you fish it any different then me? Captain Shane I seen your snake head video and i also believe i seen you doing another video in the past those frogs for bass I took a look at the site today and added it on facebook also , i was thinking about ordering some. Also have you ever seen those snake lure they are a gimmick but i think they would work except you have to buy like a big 100 dollar kit with a dvd to show you how to fish umm lol , if you have ne thing to do with jd custom baits i think you should try to make some plastics like those. http://www.naturalmotionlures.com/ , and thank you everyone for your tips
  • gotfishyfingers?gotfishyfingers? Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Welcome to Florida!!!! Frogs are very popular down here. It's one of my go to baits all year round. You can also try a spro popper frog or ant kind of popper or prop bait. They work great to but just like any bait, sometimes its on and sometimes its not. The best times to throw it is first thing in the morning or Late afternoon- dusk time? Good luck!
  • wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,022 Officer
    are they super fluke swimmers? the ones with the paddle on the tail? Those are the ones to use. I have not used the white ones either. I use the dark green or lighter green ones with a 4/0 or 5/0 hook and half the time with a 1/8 oz or 1/4 bullet weight and sometimes no wieght. I sling em down the banks and if I dont get a hit when its lands I just crank it back at a pretty good click.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

thanks fishfingers, wilburz no not those ones the ones with the fork tail i do good with them ill have to pick up some darker ones and maybe some paddle tail ones too and give them a try. if you try the fork tail ones just use umm weightless and give them a twitch, twitch,,, twitch very softly n they jolt all around from side to side.
    Well I found a new spot not sure if it holds any lunkers yet or not but i caught 10 this evening all on watermelon zoom frog. heres the biggest...
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,427 Admiral
    thats a nice one , I like to use bing maps to find new spots.try and get permission to fish those lakes that are surrounded by million dollar houses.lots of good lakes around odessa , lutz and land o' lakes.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    Now you're talking !!! Good work !!!
  • LilTucciLilTucci Posts: 189 Officer
    10 fish is a good start, never give up as you like to say. I'm sure the bite will start turning on more as the weather cools down a bit, I'm hoping so at least. Keep it up man
    Check out my youtube channel, many more fishing videos to come
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Liltuccii/videos

Log your trips and help the SGF with accurate stock assessments, great site
    http://angleraction.org
    snook bites about to turn on :D cant wait to get a hook up on one of those, may have to come over if you guys are still slaying um over there.