My first two spiral wrapped rods

I'm finally posting the pictures from the two spiral wrapped rods I built. The first one I built as a tribute to my Grandfather. The second one I gave to a disabled teen to use in tournaments. The last picture is a test wrap for a rod I'm doing now. It will be a metallic silver and black optical chevron wrapped over gold abalone. I'm also going to try and overlay the roller eyes with gold abalone as well. Wish me luck boys, My hands are getting shaky as hell these days.

Replies

• tunamantunaman Posts: 3,731 Captain
    Beautiful, i keep thinking about learning to do that
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 808 Officer
    Beautiful rods!! Awesome effort for helping out the young man in your neighborhood, may your karma help your hands.
  • TheonethatgotawayTheonethatgotaway Posts: 93 Deckhand
    I'm trying to find someone that can anodize some roller guides I need for my new project. If any of you guys know someone that can help please let me know.
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    Is there a spacing formula for spiral wrapping? I have an old grouper rod I want refinish and want to try spiral wrapping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheonethatgotawayTheonethatgotaway Posts: 93 Deckhand
    GatoRella wrote: »
    Is there a spacing formula for spiral wrapping? I have an old grouper rod I want refinish and want to try spiral wrapping.

I was told to keep the spacing of the first four guides at 4in. It makes for a smooth transition and keeps friction to a minimum. Have fun with it. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • rustyatorustyato Posts: 171 Officer
    GatoRella wrote: »

If you are looking for a closed wrap you will need to account for the taper of the rod... (google search taper offset spacing) if it is just for a normal helix that you will create a diamond or chevron design with you can use a 1" spacing on top and bottom and then offset the sides by .5" and then go to 1"..... Hope that didn't confuse you further... There is a ton of information online.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."
  • rustyatorustyato Posts: 171 Officer
    Beautiful rods and for a great cause.... Keep up the good work.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."