Wade Fishing Islamorada Area Tackle And Equipment Tips And Advice Please

I am considering a trip this winter or spring and want to do some wade fishing with spinning tackle.

I primarily like fishing with jig heads and soft plastics but am willing to use some live bait if necessary. From what I can tell, the water is extremely clear most of the time so I am assuming I would want to throw very natural and light colored plastics in smaller sizes.

In the Ft. Myers Beach/ Lovers Key area I have had good success with the Assassin, Gulp, and Usual Suspects plastics on 1/8 and 1/4 jig heads usually fished on #20 braid with #20 Fluorocarbon leader. I've used jig heads in white, red, pink, and chartreuse.

I am also considering some topwater lures, especially for early, late, or calmer water situations.

Are these lures viable in the Keys or am I off base and need to make some different choices? Are there any particular colors that seem to work better or colors that I should avoid?

Footwear: I have usually worn waders in cooler water and fished barefoot when possible but have read some posts suggesting NOT to wade barefoot in the Keys due to oysters, critters, etc.

I do not own any wading boots and am considering buying either a pair of Flats boots such as those sold by BPS "OR" but a pair of regular wading boots and socks that I can also use for freshwater stream wading.

These are my thoughts and any suggestions, tips, or tweaks are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Surface lures will catch barracuda and jacks from where you would probably be fishing. I get my cuda plugs at the $1 bargain bin at BPS. They get chewed up pretty quick. Look for chrome color.

Suggest you go with the flats boots at BPS. The coral/sand will make a mess of felt soled wading shoes. You could also just get a pair of socks and high top basketball sneakers, if you don't mind looking like a dork at the tiki bar, later on. But flats boots are cool....you could wear them with a tux or dinner jacket.....just ask me.

For places to wade in your area, there is a very comprehensive post in the KEYS FAQ Thread, at the top of this forum page. Good luck.
    .......Rick
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 513 Officer
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    Surface lures will catch barracuda and jacks from where you would probably be fishing. I get my cuda plugs at the $1 bargain bin at BPS. They get chewed up pretty quick. Look for chrome color.

Suggest you go with the flats boots at BPS. The coral/sand will make a mess of felt soled wading shoes. You could also just get a pair of socks and high top basketball sneakers, if you don't mind looking like a dork at the tiki bar, later on. But flats boots are cool....you could wear them with a tux or dinner jacket.....just ask me.

For places to wade in your area, there is a very comprehensive post in the KEYS FAQ Thread, at the top of this forum page. Good luck.

This is great info. Thanks so much.

Based on this info, I will "Out Dork" the Chucks! :) I have a pair of military style jungle boots with drain holes that I own just for beating up in and around water. Looks like they will be making a trip to the Keys. The tips are much appreciated.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Basstar wrote: »
    This is great info. Thanks so much.

Based on this info, I will "Out Dork" the Chucks! :) I have a pair of military style jungle boots with drain holes that I own just for beating up in and around water. Looks like they will be making a trip to the Keys. The tips are much appreciated.

I think I know what you're talking about and they will work fine, although a little heavy and tough to get in and out of, especially when wet. My bad for not including them in with the "classy" wading booties, as these are probably "higher classy," what with the American public finally beginning to give our military their just due. You show up at the tiki bar with those on, and some one will probably buy you a drink! :USA
    .......Rick
  • JoepilotJoepilot Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Cheap Cheap, pairs of Dive booties last me years. I leave them in the boat in the back of pick up trucks and I am amazed how well they work.
    If renting a canoe or kayak fits your budget you may want to consider it. If not there is plenty of wade and shore fishing in the keys. I am not to familiar with islamorada but I know of a few areas if you need some pointers. Just PM me.
  • Relentless39Relentless39 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I would highly recommend that you wade onto one of the local flats guides boats and fish from there. The bottom in this area is marl and you will sink to your elbows and feed the local sea lice. If you need some names, I would start with Capt Todd Monson at Out of the Blue charters. You will have way more fun and have a chance to catch some quality fish. PM me if you need the number.