Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trolling the Bay for Gags???

Many folks have posted about trolling stretch lures or other brands in the bay, with a few thing consistent in the posts I have read.

They say:

1) Troll with the tide. Yes or No?

2) Have the lure hit the bottom every once in a while or almost consistently...How do you tell if you are hitting the bottom (hold all jokes, remember the kids) as the pole already vibrates back and forth due to the natural action of the large lure (oh boy, that didn't sound PG either)?

3) Are you targeting 3-4 mph as a trolling speed or is that too fast or too slow?

Any thoughts from your experience would be great for a beginner.

Replies

• Secret SpotSecret Spot Posts: 104 Deckhand
    I troll plugs on planners with mono so use what you can here.

1. I troll both directions and have caught fish in both directions.

2. I like to run the lure as close to the bottom as possible, yes you will hit bottom and yes you will loss tackle. I mostly troll the channel and like to work a certain depth. I use a count in my head to get a start depth and work a sandy part first to get the depth set to where I want it for that height and direction of tide and plug planner combo then mark the line with a marker. Planners trip when the plug contacts the bottom. The mark will change some when you change directions with the tide depending on how fast the tide is running.

3. I troll 4-6 mph depending on the tide. I like to troll at a fast walk pace and use the bubbles/stuff in the water as a visual marker.
  • brinkleybrinkley Posts: 184 Officer
    Thanks for your insight. I don't think I was bouncing off the bottom in my past attempts and was trolling mainly 3.5-4 mph. Definitely not 5-6 mph. All I caught was Bonita (super fun fight) and a Black Tip Sharks (I think). Had other strikes that popped off after I started fighting them. It was fun.