Home General Freshwater Fishing

Spinnerbaits

It appears I am one of very few people that can't catch a fish on a spinnerbait. everyone I know in the area swears by them. What size/color and what water conditions and weather should they be fished in? I've got 2 of them, one is orange and green and the other is red and black. I have NEVER caught a fish on a spinnerbait and have no idea where to start with one.

Replies

• RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    Try a white one in smaller size, I've never caught bass on the standard size either
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    They work better in low light times, windy conditions, or murky water. It's not a blue bird mid day kind of lure. I would start with white, 1/8 oz spinnerbaits and fish them around shallow cover such as weeds or stumps. It is an angle lure, i.e you need to cast past the cover, slow roll it past the cover at the angle so that a fish can come from the cover and attack it.
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    In clear water try , white , white/chart and white/chart/blue. with willow leaf blades
    Dark water try those dark colors that you have with colorado or indiana blade
    A big key to fishing a spinnerbait is 1 make sure it is swimming properly and 2 make it hit something . Make it hit tree branches, dock pilings or stumps . If you are fishing only grass , snap your wrist to make the blades POP . A straight retrieve will catch bass , but if you want to trigger them to strike , you have to make the bait move erratic .

Or try a buzz bait . Same colors as above , work a buzz bait as slow as you can to where it just gurgles to top of the water. Most people work them way to fast IMO
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,636 Moderator
    :Agree All of the above ! Sometimes a change in retrieve speed/ cadence will spark them up. As mentioned , don't be afraid of cover when throwing it.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    All great advice would like to add ...buzz baits are good early an late
    try fishing them as the light starts to fade an fish for about a half hour
    after dark .that usually makes something happen !! Any top water can be fished
    in complete darkness thats the beauty of top water ! Not to mention they attract
    bigger fish imo..ALSO ... try adding a " stingerhook "this will increase your hook ups
    considerably !! At least it has for me !! Hope this helps .. good luck ..
    Knots , I like ya and your posts, but please don't add the stinger. When the chew that **** stinger ends up down the throat ! I didn't even use them on tournament day !!!!!
  • SullyKeysSullyKeys Posts: 92 Deckhand
    I have caught many bass on spinners but I do not swear by them. I hold my rod down at an angle to the left and this helps the blade spins like crazy! I use a chatter bait which has a little tube on the hook. Works great! Good luck to you!!
    I don't like to fish them , but I will swear by them. Cashed plenty of checks with 'em
    BD27 wrote: »
    Knots , I like ya and your posts, but please don't add the stinger. When the chew that **** stinger ends up down the throat ! I didn't even use them on tournament day !!!!!

BD 27 .. I use a single stinger hook ! Not a treble !!
    I hold it in place with a piece of rubber gas line . (From a
    chainsaw or something small ) Im not sure what your talkin
    about I have never gut hooked one bass with it !!!!!! Even the bigger boys !:huh
    I would also like to add !!!
    That I dont eat bass very often at all !!
    Every blue moon maybe ! ( grew up eatin it an sometimes
    Like to remember the taste ) !! 99 present of the bass I
    catch go back in the drink ... UNHARMED !!! An not to pat
    myself on the back !! But I catch a lot of bass !!! I think maybe
    you an I are talking about something different ?
    I have used a free swinging single hook as a stinger and have had several bass take that hook down .
    Maybe you are throwing the wrong color , and they don't really want to eat it ?:wink
    20140706_084427-1_zpsptrr6qdq.jpg

Yea !!! You might be on to something !!:wink

But as long as it gets em to the boat who the hell cares !!!:grin

Btw.. this pic was taken a couple weeks ago with my son .
    but it was on a spinner 3/8 oz white with a STINGER HOOK !!
    Nice Bream :fishing
    Nice Bream :fishing

:Spittingcoffee
    So when we goin' 2 shoot some flounder ?
    My buddie is redoing his old jon boat !! Putting a deck an lights
    everything for bow fishing an gigin ! When it done yull here from me !
    It will be fun that nice weather is coming !!! Probably a couple weeks
    bow hunt during the day !! Bow hunt at night !! Whats better !!
    catchin' a bass on a SB with only 1 hook ! 2-Shay
  • saltlife17saltlife17 Posts: 192 Deckhand
    Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll have to go pick up a couple new spinnerbaits and put it to work.
    saltlife17 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll have to go pick up a couple new spinnerbaits and put it to work.

Sorry about getting off topic . I will add that in my experience with spinner baits . I have not done real well with the titanium built ones like Terminator . They run true and look good , but I don't think that they send out the same or as much vibration as the old wire arm SB's . I like to throw War Eagle and Excalibur (if you can find them) Booyah & Strike Kings are good 2. As far as size goes my standard would be a 3/8 to start with , but if I notice a lot of small bait I will go all the way down to 1/8 . Slow rolling Deep Ledges , I'll go to a 1 oz. As with any Arti don't be afraid to mix it up on size and color. They excel when you can fish them on a wind blown point . The windy side not the calm side . Also anywhere that there is current . Cast up current and work bait down stream. Good Luck hope this helps
    I have used a free swinging single hook as a stinger and have had several bass take that hook down .

MIGHT JUST BE THE GUY SETTING THE HOOK !!!
    just a thought .....:wink
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,972 Captain
    If you aren't having any luck with them change to the smaller size and go black or green... change up the retrieve and don't be scare
    of throwing them into the thick stuff... a spinnerbait can be work thru the whole water column... its up to YOU to change it up...

Also the biggest factor in using ANY lure> YOU have to have faith in it... if you are just throwing it out there and know that's its going
    to fail... than it will... learn to have faith in it and "Work" the lure... keep your head in the game and YOU will catch fish with it...

Good luck
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    MIGHT JUST BE THE GUY SETTING THE HOOK !!!
    just a thought .....:wink

Are you telling me I'm not supposed to give a SB a 3 second count before crossing their eyes ?
    THANKS MAN , LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY :dance
    Jettypark wrote: »

Also the biggest factor in using ANY lure> YOU have to have faith in it... if you are just throwing it out there and know that's its going
    to fail... than it will... learn to have faith in it and "Work" the lure... keep your head in the game and YOU will catch fish with it...

Good luck

:Agree When I tournament fished . For prefishing I had all my baits in the boat at all times . Every make , color and size . On tournament day I would take a very small bag of my go to lures. (Now I wouldn't take the other baits out , as that would just be stupid)
    Very rarely would I dive into gear other than what I had in my go to bag.

I remember 1 time . I fished a team tournament by myself . Paid the $100 entry ( they thought they had a real sucker) extreme blue bird , windy cold front day . After trying some of the regular stuff , I switched to a little 3" zoom speed craw . Long story short I one the tournament. I had my limit of bass . No other team had a limit . I caught 13 keepers that day on that little bait . At the weight in , one of the other anglers asked me what I caught them on . I reached in the boat and threw him that bait . Some times you have to be versatile , change it up and down size . But most of all you have to have faith that what you are doing will work !
  • rhodestivarhodestiva Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Madbite spinner baits I tend to throw a lot. And have caught a few nice ones on them. 8b7ac94ddcd15be40ea8258ddc9ee207.jpg929881822679185ec68e9d08afabe5f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk