Lane Snapper Report

With red grouper off the table I have change to lanes for something new to target. Tried to target gags but not much realy going on for me. I think the water temp need to come down 2-4*.

Sunday my wife and I went to a grouper number in 75' and drifted the edge with squid and had a solid hook up with a 14" lane. I marked the spot and anchored on it. Sent a chum block down to the bottom and brought it up anout 4'. At first we had small lanes, pins and squirl fish. After 20 min. I raised the chum up another 10'. The bite turned on and we had ten lanes 10-15" with some decent grunts thrown in. We set the size limit to 10", at least 5-6 were leagle but under 10" and released. The mistake I made was haveing only one chum block. Next trip we will have three blocks and I will make some sand balls to get things going.

Replies

• joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,254 Captain
    I'm assuming you were out far enough to be considered in "federal waters". Nice report. Thanks.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    I like to target other fish and snapper are so good on the table. Chum has always been the ticket for me. I save a lot of the trimmings from the cleaning table freeze in plastic containers mixed with other stuff. Saves a few dollars.
    Thanks for the report.
    larrywitt
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 628 Officer
    Some hard bottom areas in 65' off southern Venice have been SUPER hot with lanes and mangroves for me recently. Haven't tried bottom chumming yet though. Do you find that usually brings in the bigger lanes?
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    I think we need to wait until late november/early december before the gags really start to come in. Keep that number marked. I bet there are some good red grouper around it.
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Bigfinn, I have used chum ball / sand ball several times when I could see fish on the sounder or had found good results in the past and had lock jaw. One trip was for ARS and I was drifting the spot. There were fish holding 4-10' off the bottom, after three or four drifts and not even a touch I ran bach up the drift. We made golf ball size sand balls and sent them down about every ten foot along the drift line. Drifted back on the same line and it was game on, limit out in just two drifts

Finfasn, This was on the edge of one of my RG numbers and I have three other ones with in 4 miles of this location. I am trying to stay off the RG untill the season opens again.
    natecert wrote: »
    Bigfinn, I have used chum ball / sand ball several times when I could see fish on the sounder or had found good results in the past and had lock jaw. One trip was for ARS and I was drifting the spot. There were fish holding 4-10' off the bottom, after three or four drifts and not even a touch I ran bach up the drift. We made golf ball size sand balls and sent them down about every ten foot along the drift line. Drifted back on the same line and it was game on, limit out in just two drifts

Finfasn, This was on the edge of one of my RG numbers and I have three other ones with in 4 miles of this location. I am trying to stay off the RG untill the season opens again.

I don't blame you. I plan on doing the same thing if the weather ever permits....Hit a few shallow gag spots, though its still pretty hot so i doubt there is anything there, and if that doesn't work just go to some snapper/grunt/porgie spots and load up on good white meat fish. Problem is keeping the baits away from the red grouper.....watch the bite be crazy with nice size grouper while the season is closed...
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    What did you use for bait? If you find a spot with lanes, often times it will hold mangos and/or yellowtails also. They don't often bite on squid. Bring either live shrimp or greenbacks and dial down the terminal tackle. You will be pleasantly surprised.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    once the temp drops a few more degrees I'm sure people with start finding keeper red groups inside state waters, we caught what would have been an eassssy red group limit bottom fishing and trolling all inside 50ft last week. they are everrrrrrrywhere, and I'm sure they will disappear as soon as they lift the regs
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
    Baja280 wrote: »
    once the temp drops a few more degrees I'm sure people with start finding keeper red groups inside state waters, we caught what would have been an eassssy red group limit bottom fishing and trolling all inside 50ft last week. they are everrrrrrrywhere, and I'm sure they will disappear as soon as they lift the regs

Any gags?
    RMD wrote: »
    What did you use for bait? If you find a spot with lanes, often times it will hold mangos and/or yellowtails also. They don't often bite on squid. Bring either live shrimp or greenbacks and dial down the terminal tackle. You will be pleasantly surprised.

We used squid and chunks of ballyhoo. WE are planning a combo trip tomorrow. Plan to start out on the troll for kings at day break and run out for snapper afrewards. I will follow you lead and bring some shrimp and go to floro for leader.
    Sounds good. I like the 3/8 jig head sold at West Marine. They are gray and unpainted. Cheaper than the red ones. I rip the shrimp tail off and thread them on the hook as far as possible for better durability. If you can cast net some greenbacks they also work great. Good luck and post up some pics!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RND: Thank you for the advice on shrimp. Only got one mango but had ninteen Lane up to 16' and the shrimp puled out the largest. The bite was slow and the chum/sand balls did help. Full moon but the seas were great . Kings were a bust trolled from 25-40' nada. Red Gr crashed the party along with Trigers all are free and swiming now.

Will try to post pics tomorrow.
    Glad to hear you had a productive day, sorry you didn't get more mangos but lanes are great table fare too. I never do well on the full moon with snapper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]