Trolling with the Ruff Ones 10/29

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,701 Captain
And it was rough. Not the water but the catching. Ruff One (Tom) and his wife Gail ask if I wanted to tag along the one more day before they leave for hunting season. I said of course I will. We usually do good as Tom has this trolling method down to a science with us having excellent results when I go out with them.

Well...it "ain't" always excellent. :) We started off trolling for cobia with no one being home. Slipped out to the first stop and had a few short grouper and a number of hard hits that didn't hook up. Tom decided to go to another spot and the weeds kept us from trolling that area effectively. Plan C was to go back to where we started.

Gail hooks up first and it's all we can do to get the rod out of the holder. The fish gets hung on on some "structure" and it's finally broke the line. Next couple passes and another huge hit that last about a minute as the hook bent on the lure. It seemed to be the theme all day long. Big hits...then no fish. We still had a great time.

When we pulled up to Plan C there was bait activity and I saw some spanish close to the surface. Picking up the smallest rod that had a 3/8 ounce hair jig on it I started tossing to the breaking fish. No spanish but his big brother was there and off we go for a ride. I believe I was down to the spool on three different runs with Tom trying to idle the boat helping me get some line back. Nothing like a nice king on a redfish outfit.

Nice day with good friends on the water. Seas were calm most of the day making a nice ride out and back. Thanks Tom and Gail...see you when you get back.

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,865 Moderator
    That's a nice smoker ! I ended up putting a trace of wire on my plug but of course then they didn't eat.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,532 Captain
    Well done fighting that fish on that light outfit.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Nice one Bill! That sounded like a serious battle.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,945 Captain
    Yeah, he used my Penn 4500 and I am really glad there was a trace of wire on it. It was fun running down a big fish. It's been awhile since we've had that kind of fire drill on the boat!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Thats a nice one.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    That one will give you a run for your money...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Nice catch, bet that was a fun fight, save me a piece.
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 430 Deckhand
    Does this mean the kings are coming through? Seems I remember the top time in the fall is around Thanksgiving. Good going, Bill. Glad you had a savvy captain to help run down that bruiser.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Holy Sh Uncle Billy :hail:hail:hail:hail:hail:hail
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Captain
    That's a big one! Congrats! Sux to hear about those big grouper getting away, especially with the plug.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,240 Officer
    Awesome catch with light tackle! I'm sure Gail was coaching you to make it happen.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,701 Captain
    Awesome catch with light tackle! I'm sure Gail was coaching you to make it happen.

Gail was yelling at Tom, saying, "Billy has a big fish on." Tom says, "what?", while Gail yells again "we need to run it down." Always a fun time with them on the boat.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 417 Deckhand
    How is it possible for a grouper to hit one of those plugs and not get hooked? I can't even pass my hand close to one without it grabbing me.

Congrats on the king! That was a good time for sure.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,945 Captain
    Fishesman wrote: »
    How is it possible for a grouper to hit one of those plugs and not get hooked? I can't even pass my hand close to one without it grabbing me.

Congrats on the king! That was a good time for sure.

You would think that, but the problem this trip was the hooks were straightened out. These were suppose to be quality hooks. Just ordered some VMC 4x trebles. When I get back, I've got some replacing to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 417 Deckhand
    Quality control on the big plugs seems suspect at best. I've had hooks straightened out and even ripped right out of the plug. It doesn't just seem to be one brand that suffers from these issues either.
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 865 Officer
    Awesome fish
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,814 Captain
    Holly Macaroni Billy!! Guess it ain't good to be King when Yer out there fishin w/ The Ruff's!!! Sounds like it was an Epic Battle and a whole lot of fun catching that brute w/ an awesome Crew on board! Doubt you could have got her in w/ any "average crew", it takes a special ability to get a fish like that into the boat on such a light outfit! Well done Billy and well done Mr. & Mrs. Ruff!!! Have a Great hunting trip and we'll see you on the Flip Side!!! Billy> You and me are still gonna git it on one of these dayz> I need a fishin lesson!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!