Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Calusa cast nets

Well I just got home from work and it's finally here....got a 10' 1/2" mesh. I toss it tomarrow and let ya know. I hope it meets my expectations!
Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!

Replies

  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    well, didn't have that much time of practice w/ the new net! that's a big net when your a short guy. only took about 6-7 throws w/ it...well I certaintly need some practice, bannana throws don't catch bait. the net construction looks supurb though, very high quality for sure. Can't wait til I master the throw
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    I used to throw a 10 ft. net but it just wouldnt open for me and was really taxing as far as the energy it took for me to load and toss it and retrieve it. I went to an 8ft. net and have never looked back. It is much easier for me to open up and get back in and since I am getting up there in years it has been a better decision for me. I certainly repect anyone that can use that 10 ft. net though, it takes a bit more skill and strength. Good Luck with her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    I'm 57 , short, and determined...I WILL throw it! :banghead
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Tile-man, it's all about technique. 5'-7" or 6'-7" shouldn't make that much difference. There's lots of videos on the web. Just find a style of loading and throwing that suites you. My wife is 4'-10" and can throw an 8' net. It's all about technique.
  • Shaun31Shaun31 Posts: 150 Officer
    SCFD any good links you know of or just stuff on the web in general? I am looking to get baetter with a cast net. I would really like to try different ways of loading but only know of one where you hold the net in your teeth. Thanks in advance!
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Tile-man, it's all about technique. 5'-7" or 6'-7" shouldn't make that much difference. There's lots of videos on the web. Just find a style of loading and throwing that suites you. My wife is 4'-10" and can throw an 8' net. It's all about technique.

    absolutly! I will get it thanks for thevote of confidence
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    . I’ll show you how to throw that sucker get a crew and we can meet at Hooters Cape Coral right in front there is room to make some tosses let me know? Anybody else wants to trade technique? or is just thirsty. I am available all week. Let’s post some times a few can meet at Hooters in the Cape.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    Finfinder wrote: »
    . I’ll show you how to throw that sucker get a crew and we can meet at Hooters Cape Coral right in front there is room to make some tosses let me know? Anybody else wants to trade technique? or is just thirsty. I am available all week. Let’s post some times a few can meet at Hooters in the Cape.

    sounds good to me! I'm off tomarrow and thurs.....call it! I'd love the chance
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Shaun31 wrote: »
    SCFD any good links you know of or just stuff on the web in general? I am looking to get baetter with a cast net. I would really like to try different ways of loading but only know of one where you hold the net in your teeth. Thanks in advance!

    Exactly!!@# Go to You-Tube and watch some videos. I learned from a Calusa rep at a Florida Sportsman fishing show in Orlando. He taught me the method of separating the net into two halves and you hold half in each hand. You still put one lead weight in your mouth. But throwing the net is almost effortless. It's sort of an underhand throw. Hard to describe in writing. I've taught this method to many friends and family. I'll look around and see if I can find the link. This is the method I use. I don't use the over the shoulder method cause you get wet and nasty. I like to stay looking good for pictures. Ha.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,880 Moderator
    HEY TILEMAN ARE WE GOING TO HOOTERS I WILL BUY YOU A COOL ONE..
    LARRYWITT
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    No word from finfinder yet, but a cold one is always good with a friend, Call me, sounds good! have a dr's app. morn time be home be 11
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Exactly!!@# Go to You-Tube and watch some videos. I learned from a Calusa rep at a Florida Sportsman fishing show in Orlando. He taught me the method of separating the net into two halves and you hold half in each hand. You still put one lead weight in your mouth. But throwing the net is almost effortless. It's sort of an underhand throw. Hard to describe in writing. I've taught this method to many friends and family. I'll look around and see if I can find the link. This is the method I use. I don't use the over the shoulder method cause you get wet and nasty. I like to stay looking good for pictures. Ha.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI

    thanx for the suggestion....been to u tube and been practicing
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    I am available Thurs after 6 Ill get hold of you tom.
  • przybylaskiprzybylaski Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    The best net you will ever own is a Bubbleboy Net. Not like the cheap ones. They will be the toughest net you will ever own!

    bubbleboynets.com

    904-806-1417 Ron
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    I'm doing alot better with practice. thanks
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now