Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Calusa cast nets

Well I just got home from work and it's finally here....got a 10' 1/2" mesh. I toss it tomarrow and let ya know. I hope it meets my expectations!
Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!

Replies

• tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    well, didn't have that much time of practice w/ the new net! that's a big net when your a short guy. only took about 6-7 throws w/ it...well I certaintly need some practice, bannana throws don't catch bait. the net construction looks supurb though, very high quality for sure. Can't wait til I master the throw
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    I used to throw a 10 ft. net but it just wouldnt open for me and was really taxing as far as the energy it took for me to load and toss it and retrieve it. I went to an 8ft. net and have never looked back. It is much easier for me to open up and get back in and since I am getting up there in years it has been a better decision for me. I certainly repect anyone that can use that 10 ft. net though, it takes a bit more skill and strength. Good Luck with her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
    I'm 57 , short, and determined...I WILL throw it! :banghead
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Tile-man, it's all about technique. 5'-7" or 6'-7" shouldn't make that much difference. There's lots of videos on the web. Just find a style of loading and throwing that suites you. My wife is 4'-10" and can throw an 8' net. It's all about technique.
  • Shaun31Shaun31 Posts: 150 Officer
    SCFD any good links you know of or just stuff on the web in general? I am looking to get baetter with a cast net. I would really like to try different ways of loading but only know of one where you hold the net in your teeth. Thanks in advance!
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Tile-man, it's all about technique. 5'-7" or 6'-7" shouldn't make that much difference. There's lots of videos on the web. Just find a style of loading and throwing that suites you. My wife is 4'-10" and can throw an 8' net. It's all about technique.

absolutly! I will get it thanks for thevote of confidence
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    . I’ll show you how to throw that sucker get a crew and we can meet at Hooters Cape Coral right in front there is room to make some tosses let me know? Anybody else wants to trade technique? or is just thirsty. I am available all week. Let’s post some times a few can meet at Hooters in the Cape.
    Finfinder wrote: »
    . I’ll show you how to throw that sucker get a crew and we can meet at Hooters Cape Coral right in front there is room to make some tosses let me know? Anybody else wants to trade technique? or is just thirsty. I am available all week. Let’s post some times a few can meet at Hooters in the Cape.

sounds good to me! I'm off tomarrow and thurs.....call it! I'd love the chance
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Shaun31 wrote: »
    SCFD any good links you know of or just stuff on the web in general? I am looking to get baetter with a cast net. I would really like to try different ways of loading but only know of one where you hold the net in your teeth. Thanks in advance!

Exactly!!@# Go to You-Tube and watch some videos. I learned from a Calusa rep at a Florida Sportsman fishing show in Orlando. He taught me the method of separating the net into two halves and you hold half in each hand. You still put one lead weight in your mouth. But throwing the net is almost effortless. It's sort of an underhand throw. Hard to describe in writing. I've taught this method to many friends and family. I'll look around and see if I can find the link. This is the method I use. I don't use the over the shoulder method cause you get wet and nasty. I like to stay looking good for pictures. Ha.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,880 Moderator
    HEY TILEMAN ARE WE GOING TO HOOTERS I WILL BUY YOU A COOL ONE..
    LARRYWITT
    No word from finfinder yet, but a cold one is always good with a friend, Call me, sounds good! have a dr's app. morn time be home be 11
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Exactly!!@# Go to You-Tube and watch some videos. I learned from a Calusa rep at a Florida Sportsman fishing show in Orlando. He taught me the method of separating the net into two halves and you hold half in each hand. You still put one lead weight in your mouth. But throwing the net is almost effortless. It's sort of an underhand throw. Hard to describe in writing. I've taught this method to many friends and family. I'll look around and see if I can find the link. This is the method I use. I don't use the over the shoulder method cause you get wet and nasty. I like to stay looking good for pictures. Ha.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI

thanx for the suggestion....been to u tube and been practicing
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    I am available Thurs after 6 Ill get hold of you tom.
  • przybylaskiprzybylaski Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    The best net you will ever own is a Bubbleboy Net. Not like the cheap ones. They will be the toughest net you will ever own!

bubbleboynets.com

904-806-1417 Ron
    I'm doing alot better with practice. thanks