Home Politics

Professional sports salaries

13»

Replies

  • JAPJAP Posts: 3,373 Captain
    That silliness always smacked of Sayre's Law.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Would it be possible for you to explain this to people who are not "insiders" to the Hollywood scene.

    Oh, and what this has to do with the thread.

    his non stop self promotion
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    There aren't a lot of non-professions which make more than media. Media hired top end services for everyone from IT and pool cleaning to foodprep and security. For movies and commercials we're constantly buying things, building things and breakg things... you get a sense of what a lot of things cost and what people make ;)

    It takes sizeable crews to pull this stuff off and those individuals do tend to be expensive. The people who make movies 'turn a profit' at the point where they work on the film. Box office receipts are almost pure profit. The rental of the film by the theatres, book rights, all those pre-sold pieces and contracts are what pay for making the movie.
  • KeysbearKeysbear Posts: 132 Deckhand
    greggl wrote: »
    This is entirely a societal taboo againt sharing wage information :)

    http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Farm_Manager/Salary
    Median is 41k.

    That jive with your numbers, Fins? About what your guy makes?

    You are obsessed with what others make. Get over it. MLS has nothing to do with your life, and if profesional sports valued a soccer player higher than a left handed relief pitcher, they would be paid accordingly. You often come across as bitter and whiny about how life is unfair, the "man" is keeping you down, that wages are paid unfairly, and that financial renumeration for services performed is unfair or exploitative. Rather than trying to get your post count past 10,000 on a fishing forum by pontificating endlessly about how unfairly you have been mistreated, why don't you develop new and different skill sets that make you more employable or more sought after for higher paying positions. In all the businesses I have been in, in my 30+ year career, talent highly is appreciated and highly compensated. Car salesmen usually are a low paid position, yet the top producers earn 6 figures. The average income for all attorneys in the U.S. is $126,000 year. The top trial and litigation attorneys earn ten times that. The services you provide; your skills, your job proficiency, your abilities determine what financial success you will enjoy. You whine incessantly about income inequality. News flash; you are only worth what someone is willing to pay you to provide a service, a skill, or work at a position. Spending inordinate amounts of time spewing your nonsense on a FISHING FORUM will not make you more employable or change your lot in life. Your ten thousand insipid posts is why I may occasionally read something here but rarely post. There's more to life than an obsessive desire to raise ones post count and play the victim.
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    **** hlywd qrs ar al alike....
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • JBondJBond Posts: 5,039 Officer
    LuckyMrSw wrote: »
    See that's what the problem with you and others like you. I could give piles of moose crab what my neighbors or fellow employees make. Its not MY, or ANYONE else's business! The age of facebook and reality shows have screwed this country up. Look, I don't care where someone is checking in or checking out of, don't care what you had for dinner etc..... Now you fashion yourself an internet sharp guy, why don't YOU start a forum called whatdoyoumake.com and hit the ground running.

    I like this post.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Keysbear wrote: »
    You are obsessed with what others make. Get over it. MLS has nothing to do with your life, and if profesional sports valued a soccer player higher than a left handed relief pitcher, they would be paid accordingly. You often come across as bitter and whiny about how life is unfair, the "man" is keeping you down, that wages are paid unfairly, and that financial renumeration for services performed is unfair or exploitative. Rather than trying to get your post count past 10,000 on a fishing forum by pontificating endlessly about how unfairly you have been mistreated, why don't you develop new and different skill sets that make you more employable or more sought after for higher paying positions. In all the businesses I have been in, in my 30+ year career, talent highly is appreciated and highly compensated. Car salesmen usually are a low paid position, yet the top producers earn 6 figures. The average income for all attorneys in the U.S. is $126,000 year. The top trial and litigation attorneys earn ten times that. The services you provide; your skills, your job proficiency, your abilities determine what financial success you will enjoy. You whine incessantly about income inequality. News flash; you are only worth what someone is willing to pay you to provide a service, a skill, or work at a position. Spending inordinate amounts of time spewing your nonsense on a FISHING FORUM will not make you more employable or change your lot in life. Your ten thousand insipid posts is why I may occasionally read something here but rarely post. There's more to life than an obsessive desire to raise ones post count and play the victim.

    There aren't many jobs that pay as well as VFX.

    That's the **** problem.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,795 Admin
    greggl wrote: »

    "Annual salaries for players can reach as low as $36,500 -- the minimum for players under 25 years of age. That salary isn't exactly leaving players destitute, but it can be tough to live on nonetheless -- particularly given the time commitment required of being a professional athlete.

    Keep in mind that these incomes only last until players hit their mid-30s -- if they're good enough to have that long of a career. After that, they're forced to find another profession where they can earn a living"

    I suppose most of those players would rather play soccer, with the chance of making better money at sometime during their career, than sling burgers.
    Besides, if they were any good they'd be playing in Europe or south of the border. They should be grateful that they're making any money at all while pursuing their dream.
    Kinda like the mail room job at William Morris...
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    I suppose most of those players would rather play soccer, with the chance of making better money at sometime during their career, than sling burgers.
    Besides, if they were any good they'd be playing in Europe or south of the border. They should be grateful that they're making any money at all while pursuing their dream.
    Kinda like the mail room job at William Morris...


    The money they make is run of the mill, compared to most Americans.

    Statistically, most of you reading his are making around that
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,506 AG
    greggl wrote: »
    pretend you weren't smart enough to be a farmer and ended up playing soccer instead...

    :huh

    This article is 4 years old. I wish I had the opportunity to be this broke.

    The top 5
    1. Coming in at No. 1 is 25-year-old Portuguese player Cristiano Ronaldo, who earns $17.06 million* per year as a forward for Spanish football club Real Madrid. Ronaldo, who also captains the Portuguese national team, is the most expensive soccer player in history. Real Madrid bought him from English club Manchester United in 2009 for a cool $132 million.
    Video: Calling all football Super Fans! Video: Drogba, Ferdinand hurt in Cup warmup Video: World Cup Group H preview
    RELATED TOPICS
    Soccer
    FIFA World Cup
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Lionel Messi
    Samuel Eto'o
    2. Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic comes in at No. 2, earning a reported $15.7 million for the 2009-2010 season. The 29-year-old striker plays for Barcelona and the Swedish national team. Until Ronaldo's Real Madrid deal was inked in 2009, Ibrahimovic was soccer's highest-paid player.
    3. At 22, Lionel Messi is the youngest player to make the top 20 list of highest-paid soccer stars. Messi's 2009-2010 contract is worth $13.74 million. Messi, a striker for Spanish champions Barcelona, will represent his home country, Argentina, at this year's World Cup.
    4. Samuel Eto'o is the captain of Cameroon's national team and a member of Italy's Inter Milan club, the European champions. The striker was part of the team that won the 2000 Summer Olympics and will participate in his third World Cup tournament this year. His experience has paid off; his current contract is worth $13.74 million.
    5. Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite, more commonly known as Kaka to fans, rounds out the top five. Kaka, 27, hails from Brazil and will make $13.13 million as a midfielder for Real Madrid this year. Before teammate Ronaldo's Real Madrid deal, Kaka also spent time at the top of the highest-paid players list.
    The rest of the top 20
    6. Karim Benzema
    Country: France
    Club Team: Real Madrid
    Age: 22
    Salary: $11.17 million
    7. Carlos Tevez
    Country: Argentina
    Club Team: Manchester City
    Age: 26
    Salary: $10.57 million
    8. John Terry
    Country: England
    Club Team: Chelsea
    Age: 29
    Salary: $9.81 million
    9. Frank Lampard
    Country: England
    Club Team: Chelsea
    Age: 31
    Salary: $9.81 million
    10. Thierry Henry
    Country: France
    Club Team: Barcelona
    Age: 32
    Salary: $9.81 million
    11. Xavi
    Country: Spain
    Club Team: Barcelona
    Age: 30
    Salary: $9.81 million
    12. Ronaldinho
    Country: Brazil
    Club Team: AC Milan
    Age: 30
    Salary: $9.81 million
    13. Steven Gerrard
    Country: England
    Club Team: Liverpool
    Age: 29
    Salary: $9.81 million
    14. Daniel Alves
    Country: Brazil
    Club Team: Barcelona
    Age: 26
    Salary: $9.21 million
    15. Michael Ballack
    Country: Germany
    Club Team: Chelsea
    Age: 33
    Salary: $8.45 million
    16. Raul
    Country: Spain
    Club Team: Real Madrid
    Age: 32
    Salary: $8.45 million
    17. Rio Ferdinand
    Country: England
    Club Team: Manchester United
    Age: 31
    Salary: $8.45 million
    18. Kolo Toure
    Country: Ivory Coast
    Club Team: Manchester City
    Age: 29
    Salary: $8.45 million
    19. Wayne Rooney
    Country: England
    Club Team: Manchester United
    Age: 24
    Salary: $7.85 million
    20. Robinho
    Country: Brazil
    Club Team: Manchester City
    Age: 26
    Salary: $7.85 million


    http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/worklife/06/07/cb.footballers.earn.what/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Those are the outliers.

    They are participating in the success of the overall undertaking. Once again, there is that tethering...
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,795 Admin
    greggl wrote: »
    The money they make is run of the mill, compared to most Americans.

    Statistically, most of you reading his are making around that

    And why should run of the mill professional soccer players make more?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    And why should run of the mill professional soccer players make more?

    The TV deal the league struck earlier this year was for 720 million dollars.

    The guy making the typing the names of the players for broadcast is making 5x what those players average players are making.

    Domt you people believe in 'trickle down'? Can't you see that this is where it SHOULD be in play?
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,795 Admin
    greggl wrote: »
    The TV deal the league struck earlier this year was for 720 million dollars.

    The guy making the typing the names of the players for broadcast is making 5x what those players average players are making.

    Domt you people believe in 'trickle down'? Can't you see that this is where it SHOULD be in play?

    I'm sure the players will bring the TV deal up when they begin negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement this year, and I'm sure the owners will remind them that half the teams are still losing money.
    As for the guy typing the names, he's obviously making what he deserves to, just like the players. The market determines his worth, just as it does yours.

    And who are you referring to as "you people"? Moderators? Gym owners? Fishermen?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    And who are you referring to as "you people"? Moderators? Gym owners? Fishermen?

    The underpaid middle class.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,795 Admin
    greggl wrote: »
    The underpaid middle class.

    So you think a) The underpaid middle class supports trickle down and b) that I'm a member of the underpaid middle class?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,795 Admin
    greggl wrote: »
    Yes and yes.

    Wrong and wrong.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Wrong and wrong.

    What level is your Warcraft personality? hehe
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,795 Admin
    greggl wrote: »
    What level is your Warcraft personality? hehe

    I spend too much time on the internet dealing with imaginary characters as it is; don't need to interact with any others.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    The market determines his worth, just as it does yours.

    This is popular fallacy.

    Leverage and negotiation determine worth and value... much moreso than 'market'.
    The taboos against talking about wages and compensation weaken every one of those negotiations.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    This is popular fallacy.

    Leverage and negotiation determine worth and value... much moreso than 'market'.
    The taboos against talking about wages and compensation weaken every one of those negotiations.

    you should reference the sources you keep posting .... what text book are you citing
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,795 Admin
    greggl wrote: »
    This is popular fallacy.

    Leverage and negotiation determine worth and value... much moreso than 'market'.
    The taboos against talking about wages and compensation weaken every one of those negotiations.

    "Leverage and negotiation" are factors entering into the price. When the buyer and seller agree on the level of the transaction, that determines the "worth and value". And that defines the market.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,506 AG
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    "Leverage and negotiation" are factors entering into the price. When the buyer and seller agree on the level of the transaction, that determines the "worth and value". And that defines the market.

    Greg reminds me of the howling masses during the daytrading halcyon days. Traders screaming at getting screwed by the market makers. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Finfinder wrote: »
    you should reference the sources you keep posting .... what text book are you citing

    Steve Hulett/Hollywood union guy says this all the time: "There is no fair, there is no unfair, there is only what you have the ability/leverage to get."

    I agree.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    There aren't many jobs that pay as well as VFX.

    That's the **** problem.

    Learn to step and sing, Taylor Swift is loaded.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Entertainment and tech...
Sign In or Register to comment.