Home General Fishing

Beach tarpon fishing battle vs spinnfisher

123123 Posts: 63 Greenhorn
Im looking for a new rod/reel combo for beach fishing for some of the bigger fish like tarpon. I was spooled by one on my penn battle 4000 so I need to step up my set up. Any suggestions Im considering either a larger battle or the spinnfisher but Im not sure if the spinnfisher is worth double the money.
Also any tips for tarpon would be helpful.

Replies

• DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    123 wrote: »
    Im looking for a new rod/reel combo for beach fishing for some of the bigger fish like tarpon. I was spooled by one on my penn battle 4000 so I need to step up my set up. Any suggestions Im considering either a larger battle or the spinnfisher but Im not sure if the spinnfisher is worth double the money.
    The spinfisher v has the slammer drag. Which is a much better drag system. I have both the battle 4000 and the spinfisher v 3500. The drag on the spinfisher is much better.
    Give the daiwa saltiest a look as well. great drag
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Settin_HooksSettin_Hooks Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Another reel to consider is the quantum cabo series. I don't have direct experience with it but according to Allan Hawks reel review it is a good choice for that price range. You need a nice 8' heavy action rod and 250-300 yards of 50lb braid. Check out the st. Croix tidemaster series, that was recommended to me on here and I love it! I also like the star rods and shimano, but try to get something that is rated for 40-50lb braid.

The penn battle 2 just came out as well. Supposed to have better drag, better finish on the frame, sealed bearings instead of shielded and a few other features. If your satisfied with your 4000 I would get that in a 6000. Really can't beat the price.
    2006 Maverick Master Angler SOLD
    2016 Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
  • Settin_HooksSettin_Hooks Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Oh and if you can afford it get the new Shimano spheros! You won't be Dissapointed!!
    You can find them for around 160 on flee bay.
    2006 Maverick Master Angler SOLD
    2016 Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
  • rtfmrtfm Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    i have caught a 50+lb tarpon on my 6000 battle, with mono. It got close to being spooled but i was fishing from the pier. i still love it and it works great for me.
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    123 wrote: »

I grew up with my father and grandfather preaching to me about how great Penn reels are. After years with my head in the sand I realized that there are other solid reels well beyond Penn. my biggest complaint with Penn is it's lack of compatibility with braided lines.
    My client reel for tarpon is a Daiwa Saltist 4500H. It is a solid reel that never backs down and has a ridiculous drag. I pack 40lb power pro on it and tighten the drag as the tarpon pull us down the beach. Another great reel recommended is the Quantum Cabo. The new Cabo is a tank and I would not underestimate its small size.
    Please don't get me wrong I am not telling you not to buy a penn, I just think there are better reels for the money that you will be happier with.
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    Conquer 7000 is an awesome reel for tarpon. They're small (compared to other 7000's, it's way smaller than my conflict 6k), great drag, and you can beat the **** out of them. Here's a good deal on one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-Conquer-7000-CQR7000-Large-Saltwater-Spinning-Reel-Surf-Striper-NEW-NIB-/311107771382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486f77dbf6
  • SouthJettySouthJetty Posts: 588 Officer
    Van Staal Vsb 150=Unstoppable....Cabo=compost heap
    You shoulda been here yesterday.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I have a Stradic 5000FJ that puts a whooping on bull reds.........but I think I'd step up to a 6000 or even 8000 for heavier line capacity if targeting big tarpon. Been using Shimano's for close to 20 years now..........have always felt that the Stradic is the most reel for the money..............though have heard a lot lately about the Ballistic (but not for big fish - more of an inshore favorite).
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • HJaredHJared Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Fin nor lethal. Holds a ton of line. Cheap. Made for braid. Way waybetter drag than the battle. Lighter. I just got the inshore because stores around me don't have the lethal but according to alan hawks reviews its the best and a great deal. Just read the specs to find out what size u want based upon line capacity