Need help with vacation destination in the Spring: Boca Grande or Islamorada?

Trying to decide where to go first week of April. Went to both over the summer and had a great time both places. Have a 22 Pathfinder. Mainly do inshore fishing. Just wondering what your thoughts were on how the fishing is in Boca Grande during that time of year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    C Dog wrote: »
    Trying to decide where to go first week of April. Went to both over the summer and had a great time both places. Have a 22 Pathfinder. Mainly do inshore fishing. Just wondering what your thoughts were on how the fishing is in Boca Grande during that time of year.

There are few places on earth that have better fishing in April than Boca Grande. When you get tired of the ridiculous snook fishing in April, you can try tarpon, permit, grouper, snapper, mackerel, jewfish, or even trout, redfish, and kingfish.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,879 Captain
    I'll take Boca over any place in the country.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    A lot more options in the keys. And it is all the same species listed above with a few more added in. If I had the choice, I would fish the middle and lower keys over boca nearly every time.
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Great time of fishing in both locations, but I would never sit in boca pass for tarpon... That's just not my style. If I had family with me I would pick the keys. Plus Islamorada has more options. (Fish the everglades out back, or fish the reef and offshore in front) If you are a big Tarpon person, I would say its a safer bet finding them in keys in April. Sometimes they can be a little late showing up here in solid numbers if its been a cold winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PtsrhenryPtsrhenry Posts: 256 Deckhand
    :signsWhat he said.
    RANGER BAY 2300
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    You would be crazy not to hit the keys in April. Though I would be offshore the whole time so...
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,384 AG
    Early April? Keys.
    May? Boca.

Then again, I'm laser focused on tarpon.
  • RoydawnRoydawn Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    I've fished both, I'd do mid Keys for sure, I fish Boca a lot, except when the Tarpon are there. Then I avoid the traffic JAM like I'd avoid Ebola!! Roy
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    I'd pick the middle keys hands down
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeffjonesjeffjones Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    I live in Englewood and fish here.... i've also gone to middle and lower keys....
    hands down the key rock the socks off of stuck up boca folk...
    better waters, better vacation period..

wait, maybe I should be bringing in tourism...oops.
  • C DogC Dog Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Biggest concern about the Keys that time of year is the wind. I have a 22 pathfinder and would only take it offshore when there is little or no wind. So if I did go to the Keys I would probably be doing mostly backcountry. As far as the Tarpon crowd goes, I've heard it doesn't get real crowded until May. So I guess in either place I will be mostly doing backcountry fishing. Right now I am leaning towards Boca Grande and fishing Charlotte Harbor and Pine Island Sound for snook and reds. If Tarpon come early it will be a bonus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 703 Officer
    Wind is valid, otherwise no place like the Keys.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AERONETAERONET Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Marathon can be a great trip.