Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Jaycee park in fort pierce

I am planning my next trip that way. I will be staying in fort pierce so I can bounce between sebastian, stuart and fort pierce inlets a little easier. Looking on maps of the boat ramp at Jaycee park it looks shallow in front of it with a channel generally following the shoreline to the treatment plant. My first question..how shallow is it across that flat out front? My boat drafts a little less than 2' loaded down. Can I cut straight across to the plant or must I follow the channel/shoreline? Also anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? I know fort pierce is a shady area, I will have the wife and kids so it has to be away from the ghetto, I realize that eliminates most of fort pierce. I have looked at dockside hotel as well as renting a house close to Jaycee park. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 997 Officer
    My place is right next to Jaycee park in my Contender 35 i will run on plane from right in front of the Ramps at Jaycee where is 15' deep all the way northwest to the second Building at Harbor isle i can do that at anything but dead low. Heading south you can run West out to the ICW stay at least 600' from the shoreline and make sure you go south of the spoil islands.
    Also i have been in Ft Pierce for 4 years now and the only time I have ever been concerned about anything was in the jetty bar (a dive at best) with a bunch of Bikers from rival gangs and they were not from the Ghetto. Anyplace on Hutchinson island will be fine and downtown even at night is great. just stay east of US 1.
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 937 Officer
    If we have hard westerly winds combined with a new or full moon I would avoid the Jaycee Park ramp. The water will flood way up into the parking area. The Black Pearl ramp on the NW corner of the Seaway Drive bridge is a better alternative if you can't keep the boat in the water where ever you stay.

I wouldn't be concerned about safety on the island or anywhere east of 1 near downtown. Just like almost everywhere else in the country our bad areas are condensed to certain sections of town.
    Capt,AW i must admit i have to laugh reading some of the posts here dissing Ft Pierce I know 20 years ago it may not have been Palm Beach but right now its a **** nice place i was looking to buy in Marathon and had no interest on the East Coast until a friend of mine (Battalion Commander NYFD) showed me the place he bought, Mine in the same townhouse complex has increased in value 100k over what I paid.
  • Snooky SnacksSnooky Snacks Posts: 69 Deckhand
    I meant no harm, it's just different than where I live. We don't have a "that side of town".
  • Snooky SnacksSnooky Snacks Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Thank you gentleman
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 937 Officer
    Capt,AW i must admit i have to laugh reading some of the posts here dissing Ft Pierce I know 20 years ago it may not have been Palm Beach but right now its a **** nice place

If you think FP has a bad reputation on here you should go over to The Hull Truth. You'd think we live in a third world country:rotflmao

I love it here as well. I'm 8 miles from the ramp, and the only traffic light I deal with is Seaway and Indian River Drive.

Snooky Snacks....no offense taken. Honestly I'm kind of glad FP has the reputation that it does, it certainly helps to keep the traffic down.
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    And peafowl everywhere!
  • B LangB Lang Posts: 81 Deckhand
    Being born and raised here I have to say I love it. There is a rough side of town but they generally keep to themselves. As long as you aren't concerned whether he's with the cripps or the bloods you will be fine. The fishing and diving here blows south FL away if you know where to look. Good Vero restaurants 15 minutes away waterfront or close to it is still cheap compared to other areas.
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Ft. Pierce is one of the hidden treasures in Fl. Good inshore/offshore fishing, excellent inlet, laid back atmosphere .
    During the day, I go to the west side of US1 all the time and never had any problems.
    However, if you like the glitz and glamour of the Palm Beaches, it is not the place to be.