Home Politics

Professional sports salaries

gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
"Only 23 of Major League Soccer's 572 players make more than the NHL's minimum salary of $550,000.

One-third of the league's entire salary budget to just seven players."

"Annual salaries for players can reach as low as $36,500 -- the minimum for players under 25 years of age. That salary isn't exactly leaving players destitute, but it can be tough to live on nonetheless -- particularly given the time commitment required of being a professional athlete.

Keep in mind that these incomes only last until players hit their mid-30s -- if they're good enough to have that long of a career. After that, they're forced to find another profession where they can earn a living"

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201410/soccers-99-percent-beyond-few-millionaires-most-mls-make-modest-livings

Interesting stuff.

Replies

• phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Then maybe they should take up golf. They can play golf professionally well into their 60s.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    Comparing professional soccer salaries to the NFL is a non-starter.
    The average major league soccer team is worth $103 million, the avg. NFL team is worth $1.4 billion.

As for the NHL, the avg. team is worth $413 million, they must have a better union than the soccer players :)
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    "Only 23 of Major League Soccer's 572 players make more than the NHL's minimum salary of $550,000.

"Annual salaries for players can reach as low as $36,500 -- the minimum for players under 25 years of age. That salary isn't exactly leaving players destitute, but it can be tough to live on nonetheless -- particularly given the time commitment required of being a professional athlete.

Keep in mind that these incomes only last until players hit their mid-30s -- if they're good enough to have that long of a career. After that, they're forced to find another profession where they can earn a living"

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201410/soccers-99-percent-beyond-few-millionaires-most-mls-make-modest-livings

Interesting stuff.

the best soccer players in the world play in Europe .... you need to research those salaries
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,032 Captain

So?

If you want to be a pro soccer player, pro bowler, pro bass fisherman, or pro poker player you should know the risks/rewards/earning potential associated with that profession. Just like any other profession.

Id venture a guess if someone did a poll very few people would know there were even 572 MLS players, much less care how little some of them get paid. They can always "retire" from the sport and get a real job. Minor league baseball players make chump change too.

The author of the article should've pointed out that we have troops being shot at on a daily basis that are making less than some of those pampered soccer boys.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Are we supposed to feel sorrow for them ???
    or maybe the Obama Admin. needs to raise the Minimum Wage for Pro Soccer Players ???
    :banghead
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    riverdiver wrote: »
    Id venture a guess if someone did a poll very few people would know there were even 572 MLS players, much less care how little some of them get paid.

Very few people know what anyone else actually makes - nor the length of careers and prospects for follow up careers.

The Internet is changing that. Much more information is becomming available.
    ... and get a real job.

What does that mean?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,825 Admiral
    After the 2nd baseball strike, which happened near on 20 years ago, I swore off professional sports as one of my recreation choices.

Amazing how enlightening it is to finally realize that there is no "my team" or "our team" but rather that we're cheering for something hardly different from a GM or a Target, just another corporate entity.

It was one of the many steps along the way to breaking free from the herd.

Kind of relieving to know that whether it's the salaries or the damage they end up doing to their bodies as a result of the outlandish salaries, that I'm responsible for having caused neither.

Still though, there are my tax dollars run down the rat hole of the NFL, the NBA and all sorts of others...........a situation we can only wish to change.
    bswiv wrote: »
    Still though, there are my tax dollars run down the rat hole of the NFL, the NBA and all sorts of others...........a situation we can only wish to change.

Yeah... THAT.

Ballmer could net $1 billion in tax credits from Clippers deal
    http://fortune.com/2014/10/27/steve-ballmer-nba-tax/
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,825 Admiral
    Yeah... THAT.

Ballmer could net $1 billion in tax credits from Clippers deal
    http://fortune.com/2014/10/27/steve-ballmer-nba-tax/

While I do much appreciate that you agree with me on this one let's not forget that this situation exists precisely because we both use a INCOME TAX as means of taxation and because we have allowed to government the power to do so. It is another sickness of big paternalistic government, admittedly perpetrated upon us by BOTH TEAMS!

Now let us agree to address THE DESEASE so we can fix the symptom that we both agree needs addressing.
    Low wages.
    Raise 'em.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain
    Soccer players deserve more money than paleontologists. :grin

particularly the fake ones.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Soccer is a boring sport. Rather watch grass grow.
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    I have never seen anyone so consumed over what other people make before. :shrug
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Kind of makes me wonder too.
    LuckyMrSw wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone so consumed over what other people make before. :shrug

People don't talk about this stuff enough... which is by design.

Who benefits from that?
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    See that's what the problem with you and others like you. I could give piles of moose crab what my neighbors or fellow employees make. Its not MY, or ANYONE else's business! The age of facebook and reality shows have screwed this country up. Look, I don't care where someone is checking in or checking out of, don't care what you had for dinner etc..... Now you fashion yourself an internet sharp guy, why don't YOU start a forum called whatdoyoumake.com and hit the ground running.
    People don't talk about this stuff enough... which is by design.

Who benefits from that?
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
    glassdoor.com
    payscale.com

You are holding down wages as you are negotiating with less information than you should ;)
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Some folks need to spend less time worrying about what others make and more time developing a new skill set that is not so easily replicated by a teenager setting in a cube with a laptop in Pakistan.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Nah.. it's all about your horrible incomes.

You spend too much energy attempting to pull down high earners.
    Nah.. it's all about your horrible incomes.

You spend too much energy attempting to pull down high earners.

You keep telling yourself that..
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Look at this thread.
    I want wages to go up across the board.

You, on the other hand are dreaming about some low cost replacement for me.
    Id say that's pretty clear.
    Look at this thread.
    I want wages to go up across the board.

You, on the other hand are dreaming about some low cost replacement for me.
    Id say that's pretty clear.

That is where you are exactly wrong about me.

I want the market to determine pay and you are constantly looking for outside resources such as unions and legislation to provide a false floor and ceiling for folks throughout the strata. I want everyone to be paid well but only if the market deems their contribution worth it.
    "Today is MINE"
    The markets are distorted. What your are saying is impossible.
    The markets are distorted. What your are saying is impossible.

Nope,, they are working great.

Feeder Steers Medium and Large 1 - 2
    Head Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price
    4 215-240 233 300.00-355.00 320.46
    5 275-295 287 310.00-350.00 325.96
    7 305-340 315 275.00-350.00 309.55
    11 360-388 381 270.00-300.00 288.00
    18 400-445 420 242.50-270.00 257.99
    1 400-400 400 292.50 292.50 Fancy
    4 455-485 465 240.00-262.50 245.87
    13 500-545 522 227.50-242.50 239.26
    10 555-590 580 230.00-233.00 231.03
    1 560-560 560 240.00 240.00
    "Today is MINE"
    You work in the family business. Good, you're taken care of.

We're talking about the people working for you then. Povery wages, correct?
    You work in the family business. Good, you're taken care of.

We're talking about the people working for you then. Povery wages, correct?

No one who who works for me makes minimum wage. I have part time workers doing very general labor making a bit more than that. One is semi retired the other (his nephew) is a college student. All of the rest of my workers make well above average for their positions.
    "Today is MINE"
    And those wages suck :)

How many are making above 100k?

Put yourself in the cleats of one of those soccer players...
    What would you do?
    And those wages suck :)

How many are making above 100k?

Put yourself in the cleats of one of those soccer players...
    What would you do?

None,, I do not place the amount of responsibility or work load on any of my minions to justify that level of pay. The manager of my diesel shop has certainly surpassed that total but I have him on a profit sharing plan.
    "Today is MINE"
    fins4me wrote: »
    None,, I do not place the amount of responsibility or work load on any of my minions to justify that level of pay. The manager of my diesel shop has certainly surpassed that total but I have him on a profit sharing plan.

You don't clear much more than that, in other words ;)

How about them cleats? What do you do?
    You don't clear much more than that, in other words ;)

How about them cleats? What do you do?

Once again,,, you keep telling yourself that
    "Today is MINE"