Home Politics

Crist fips on guns

cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
Crist gets help from group founded by Giffords
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Democrat Charlie Crist is getting some last-minute financial help from a group founded by former U.S. Rep. Gabby Giffords and retired astronaut Mark Kelly.

Campaign finance records show Americans for Responsible Solutions on Tuesday gave $100,000 to a political committee backing Crist. Giffords was shot in the head during a January 2011 shooting that killed six and left 13 injured. She is now partially paralyzed and struggles with speech.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/30/crist-gets-help-from-group-founded-by-giffords/#ixzz3Hk6i1f80
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

The NRA doesn't think much of Florida's Democrat gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist. It's giving him a "D" grade for his support of more gun control. Meanwhile, though, Gabby Giffords' Americans for Responsible Solutions (ARS) is giving Crist $100,000.
Crist was once pro-gun across the board, and he used to earn an "A" in the NRA's voter guide. But the Tampa Bay Tribune reports that Crist "now favors expanded background checks for gun purchases," so he and the NRA have gone their separate ways.
But Crist has new supporters stepping in to fill the void: Gabby Giffords and her gun control PAC.
According to the Saint Petersburg Blog, Giffords' group "gave $100,000 this week to 'Crist for Florida,' the political committee supporting the Democrat candidate."
Around the country Giffords' gun control group is picking races where gun control candidates such as Crist are up against staunchly pro-gun opponents, such as Republican Governor Rick Scott. Giffords & Co. then cast their lot with the gun controller suporters by running ads and/or giving money to try to get someone in office who is willing to restrict the Second Amendment.
Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at [email protected].

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/30/Charlie-Crist-Gets-A-D-From-The-NRA-But-100-000-From-Gabby-Giffords
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr

Replies

• FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    Ill give Crist credit for one thing.

He is fooling a bunch of grumpy old men on this forum into believing a 58 year old man can change his ways. When they can use themselves as an example of why that doesnt happen, but choose not to.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,699 AG
    Maybe you all didn't hear, Charlie is now a Democrat.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Yea, this time around
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Maybe you all didn't hear, Charlie is now a Democrat.
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    This is no different than when Romney supported assault weapons bans then took the other side in his election. Or when Romney personally donated to Planned Parenthood then took the other side in the election. Even Reagan who was a strong union backer and then took a union busting stance.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Chubs is so desperate to keep his forum topics at the top of the search engines
  • tagtag Posts: 8,860 Admiral
    Charlie Crist flip, say it ain't so!!!!
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    This "forum topic" was authored by cpr, NOT "Chubs".
    Finfinder wrote: »
    Chubs is so desperate to keep his forum topics at the top of the search engines

Would seem that Finfinder "is so desperate to keep his" post count climbing, w/o contributing on topic.
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    chubasco wrote: »
    This is no different than when Romney supported assault weapons bans then took the other side in his election. Or when Romney personally donated to Planned Parenthood then took the other side in the election. Even Reagan who was a strong union backer and then took a union busting stance.

Im all for guns.....but even I am against citizens owning TRUE assault rifles (and good luck getting the Sheriffs approval to own one anyway). Not to be confused with AR-15's, which are semi auto rifles covered in fancy plastic. I could take any semi auto hunting rifle off the shelf and make it look like something form Halo in a week.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I think Crist is the usual scumbag politician (the less of Scott), but you all know it is possible to be educated on a subject and have that improve your stance on it.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Everyone just needs to hold their noses & vote for Scott...
    You'll thank me later ;)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    I wonder why he would support expanded background checks. What will that accomplish? It certainly won't lower the crime rates in any large city in Florida.

So why now all of a sudden make the change?
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Not surprised. He doesn't know who he is, let alone what he stands for.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain

Would seem that Finfinder "is so desperate to keep his" post count climbing, w/o contributing on topic.

Thanks for the contribution.

so what

Fibber you are such a tool !!

<span style="font-size: 12.7272720336914px;">
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    David B wrote: »
    I wonder why he would support expanded background checks. What will that accomplish? It certainly won't lower the crime rates in any large city in Florida.

So why now all of a sudden make the change?

It's a vote-getting myth that works on low information dems, just like the $15 minimum wage and the gender pay gap.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    chubasco wrote: »
    What union busting stance did Reagan take. You can forget the Air traffic controllers strike, they choose to walk off the job and were legally fired.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    "Crist fips" is a redundant term for this poor and very confused bastid.

Love the latest:

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    What union busting stance did Reagan take. You can forget the Air traffic controllers strike, they choose to walk off the job and were legally fired.

Reagan gave dedicated union foes direct control of the federal agencies that were designed originally to protect and further the rights and interests of workers and their unions.

Most important was Reagan's appointment of three management representatives to the five-member National Labor Relations Board which oversees union representation elections and labor-management bargaining, They included NLRB Chairman Donald Dotson, who believed that "unionized labor relations have been the major contributors to the decline and failure of once-healthy industries" and have caused "destruction of individual freedom."

Under Dotson, a House subcommittee found,the board abandoned its legal obligation to promote collective bargaining, in what amounted to "a betrayal of American workers."

The NLRB settled only about half as many complaints of employers' illegal actions as had the board during the previous administration of Democrat Jimmy Carter, and those that were settled upheld employers in three-fourths of the cases. Even under Republican Richard Nixon, employers won only about one-third of the time.

Most of the complaints were against employers who responded to organizing drives by illegally firing union supporters. The employers were well aware that under Reagan the NLRB was taking an average of three years to rule on complaints, and that in any case it generally did no more than order the discharged unionists reinstated with back pay. That's much cheaper than operating under a union contract.

The board stalled as long before acting on petitions from workers seeking union representation elections and stalled for another year or two after such votes before certifying winning unions as the workers' bargaining agents. Under Reagan, too, employers were allowed to permanently replace workers who dared exercise their legal right to strike.

Reagan's Labor Department was as one-sided as the NLRB. It became an anti-labor department, virtually ignoring, for instance, the union-busting consultants who were hired by many employers to fend off unionization. Very few consultants and very few of those who hired them were asked for the financial disclosure statements the law demands. Yet all unions were required to file the statements that the law required of them (and that could be used to advantage by their opponents). And though the department cut its overall budget by more than 10 percent, it increased the budget for such union-busting activities by almost 40 percent.

Union-busting was only one aspect of Reagan's anti-labor policy. He attempted to lower the minimum wage for younger workers, ease the child labor and anti-sweatshop laws, tax fringe benefits, and cut back job training programs for the unemployed. He tried to replace thousands of federal employees with temporary workers who would not have civil service or union protections.

The Reagan administration all but dismantled programs that required affirmative action and other steps against discrimination by federal contractors, and seriously undermined worker safety. It closed one-third of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's field offices, trimmed its staff by more than one-fourth and decreased the number of penalties assessed against employers by almost three-fourths.

Rather than enforce the law, the administration sought "voluntary compliance" from employers on safety matters - and generally didn't get or expect it. The administration had so tilted the job safety laws in favor of employers that union safety experts found them virtually useless.

The same could have been said of all other labor laws in the Reagan era. A statement issued at the time by the presidents of several major unions concluded it would have been more advantageous for those who worked for a living to ignore the laws and return "to the law of the jungle" that prevailed a half-century before.

Their suggestion came a little late. Ronald Reagan had already plunged labor-management relations deep into the jungle.

http://www.dickmeister.com/id89.html
    Chubasco.jpg
    Chubs is so desperate to derail every Charlie Christ thread I bet he takes down Scott campaign posters as well......

• shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    As someone who was treated to a dose union corruption first hand it wouldn't bother me one bit to see a Reagan conservative step back up to the plate.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    As someone who was treated to a dose union corruption first hand it wouldn't bother me one bit to see a Reagan conservative step back up to the plate.

Mr. "raise taxes 11 times" Reagan was about as conservative as I am. Just because he was against unions doesn't make him a conservative.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,363 AG
    "Crist Flips on an issue".......in other ground shattering news, the Sun Rose this morning.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,658 Captain
    During previous Governor's race Crist received NRA endorsement; Crist posed with gun.......politically correct standard "Sporting" Remington 870.No AR,not even "Combat" Rem 870. Personally,I would have liked to see a pose with a Ruger Handgun.

I have personally known a few politicians who are bonafide lawful,active gun owners,and often gun hunters, who have never garnered NRA "A" status.And some of the non-"A"often better represent Hunter interest due to more effective outlook on Environment & Conservation.
    If a candidate was to state that they supported gun control measures per those in place right now in Florida, including Concealed Weapons law,why then could we not say that that person in fact "Supports" 'Gun Control'?
    Rather obtuse.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • HOME DEPOT GEORGEHOME DEPOT GEORGE Posts: 526 Officer
    FreeLiner wrote: »
    Im all for guns.....but even I am against citizens owning TRUE assault rifles (and good luck getting the Sheriffs approval to own one anyway). Not to be confused with AR-15's, which are semi auto rifles covered in fancy plastic. I could take any semi auto hunting rifle off the shelf and make it look like something form Halo in a week.
    Where do you get your info from ? You can own full auto all day long without a sheriffs signature, all you need is to set up a family trust to have possession . I'll also point out that no crimes I could find were ever committed by an actual full auto assault rifle, now there's been crimes like the LA bank shootout with illegally modified weapons which was a joke with dozens of cops shooting and nobody could get a head shot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]