black rubber problem

BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,174 Officer
My maritme skiff pilot house has black rubber gaskets around the three glass windows. Its ten years old now and every time I try to clean the windows, wash the boat or wax it if I touch the rubber even lightly I spread a black stain all over the white fiberglass and then need to compound the stain away. Then of course, when I compound it I touch the rubber and spread the stains even more. Is their any way to treat the rubber so it stops this?

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,293 Admiral
    Paint it?
    23895.gif
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,856 Captain
    Try conditioning the rubber, it sounds like it is breaking down and starting to stain. Armor All might help but it could be time to change the gaskets out. They sell a black streak remover at Wally World in the RV section. It should get the stains off without having to compound it out. Good luck, hope it works for you.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    New window seals. Then paint the new ones. The rubber has dried out and broken down from the sunlight.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,849 Captain
    If the gaskets are not deteriorated to the point of leaking......use some Acetone and a terry cloth towel
    to remove the deteriorated/oxidized surface. You have to get down to fresh rubber get a good factory look.

After that resurfacing, use your favorite rubber sealant and protectant

You won't get the mess with your polishing pad if the rubber gaskets are healthy.