Thanksgiving Advice

Pulling the boat down from the Panhandle over Thanksgiving week. Would love some advice on what to target that time of year. Was there last January, but was landlocked. Still had a blast catching mangroves from the bridges. Would love to chum up some yellowtail and muttons, and maybe play with a tarpon or two, but don't really care. The boat is a 21' CC bay boat, so I can do deep or stay shallow... Don't need your super secret spots, unless you want to give then up, but would love a push in the right direction. What's hot in late November?

Thanks in advance!

Rob from Destin

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    the patch reef fishing should be really good that time of year. catch some live hoo's anchor back off the reef 40 0r 50 yards chum up the fish and hoo's at the same time great chance of catching a mutton or two. sails should be showing up on the edge. along with some kings. their should be some big black grouper in shallow by then also if you want a supper secret spot you need to tell us where in the 110 mile stretch of the keys you will be in.:wink
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    X2 on where in the Keys will you be staying?
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,405 Captain
    LOWER KEYS: CALM=REEF +OFFSHORE-WAHOOS,ETC. ROUGH=BACKCOUNTRY-MANGROVES,ETC
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • destindestin Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Staying in Islamorada, at Futura Yacht Club.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys. The patch reef fishing sounds like a blast. We've got SOME natural bottom up here in Destin, but most of what we fish is steel. Really excited to switch it up and bring back some different meat.
    What about hogfish...any advice for those delicious little devils?

Rob
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    personally if I am targeting Hogs. I would not chum the reef when you first arrive. bring some live shrimp and work the edges of the patches. you can toss some dead shrimp out to sent the water that can help bring some in. you will also pick off some porgy's when fishing in this manner for Hog's. Don't hesitate to move around to different patches if you don't find them at first.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    Rob from Destin, a Marler from Destin here...don't know if that rings a bell? We have a place in Islamorada and are there every weekend. We'll be there from the weekend before Thanksgiving until the Monday afterwards too.
    As others have mentioned there are many things to do. The Hog fishing will be good as mentioned and I fish them with just about half rotten shrimp instead of the live ones. To me it keeps the other fish from eating your bait until the Hogs show up. I'd cloud the water with some as mentioned here also.
    Another thing to do if the weather blows up is head north into the park. Plenty Snappers to catch there up towards Twin and Rabbit Keys or pretty much all the channels through the banks out that way. Of course if you ventured on out towards the cape or East of Flamingo there are plenty of Reds, Trout, and some Snook to play with. Some Tarpon are in the bays up there as well.
    Flag me down if you see me around, pretty easy to spot.
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,963 Admiral
    A Marler, who in the world wouldn't know that name? How in the world did you end up down there? Lost?
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Thanks...I think.
    Took a wrong turn in Mossy Head and ended up here. Nahh, started running corporate boats and yachts I guess. Something a little bigger than the head boats back home.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,963 Admiral
    Thanks...I think.
    Took a wrong turn in Mossy Head and ended up here. Nahh, started running corporate boats and yachts I guess. Something a little bigger than the head boats back home.

Oh ok. They have just about shut us rec fishermen down so I am taking up tiddley winks now.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Rob from Destin, a Marler from Destin here...don't know if that rings a bell? We have a place in Islamorada and are there every weekend. We'll be there from the weekend before Thanksgiving until the Monday afterwards too.
    As others have mentioned there are many things to do. The Hog fishing will be good as mentioned and I fish them with just about half rotten shrimp instead of the live ones. To me it keeps the other fish from eating your bait until the Hogs show up. I'd cloud the water with some as mentioned here also.
    Another thing to do if the weather blows up is head north into the park. Plenty Snappers to catch there up towards Twin and Rabbit Keys or pretty much all the channels through the banks out that way. Of course if you ventured on out towards the cape or East of Flamingo there are plenty of Reds, Trout, and some Snook to play with. Some Tarpon are in the bays up there as well.
    Flag me down if you see me around, pretty easy to spot.

Thanks so much for the responses, guys. And yes...I definitely know the Marler name! You'll be there the same time as us. Feel free to swing by on the water and say hi...we'll be the guys who clearly don't know what we're doing?
    Sounds good, what color is your boat?
    See ya'll there!
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Patch reefs are on fire right now and should be going strong. Run down to channel 5 and catch some macks. Troll the bridges with diving plugs and catch groupers.
    Great info, guys! Thanks. The boat is a white 21' Caribbean Skiff Super V.
    So how's the bite? Packing up gear tonight, leaving Friday...
    Plenty of bait around here now. If it blows catch some bait and head north into the bay. Fish the many cuts through the flats, Rabbit Key, Twin Keys, etc...) for snappers using the pilchards. Using them keeps the culling down!
  • BocaBocaBocaBoca Posts: 606 Officer
    Enjoyable thread to read. Thanks all. We are heading to Islamorada as well. Renting a boat and putting the kids, er, young men on some fish (we hope). Your info re patch reefs is very helpful. Happy Thanksgiving to all! Tight lines.
  • GrillNGrillN Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Great info guys. Thinking about going fishing on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Not sure if I'm gonna stay in Miami or head down to the keys. Sometimes it becomes a little bit of a pain in the butt with a 29' (33 oal) boat. Kinda wish I had a smaller boat to fish on both sides of the keys. If anyone is going to be on the water on Friday, PM me. Tight Lines
    Custom 29 Twin Yammies
    www.carrierdispatchllc.com
  • WanderJaxWanderJax Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    The wife and I are also driving to Islamorada Wednesday evening from Jacksonville and staying through to Sunday at our family home on Lower Matecumbe.

I am considering bringing my 18' flats boat. I guess if the wind blows as predicted I will just stick to the mangroves and see what's hanging around them? Anyone offer some advice on what I can do to stay out of the wind and keep from getting soaked? i have only had a boat down with me once. I am an experienced boater and have a GPS for safely running the bayside but dont think I have a large enough boat to fish the reefs if it's blown out.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. If you see a seafoam green baycraft w/ a Evinrude 115 come and say hello.
    test
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    BIG WAHOO
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    stay in protected water if it is rough. bayboat or flatsboat is not safe on reef if it is rough
    BIG WAHOO
    7 days in Islamorada, 5 days on the water, only able to go "offshore" once...and not for very long as we had to head to KW to pick up another family member from the airport in the early afternoon. Did get to introduce the boat to a few new species: a couple of small, throwback hogs. Same with the muttons...a few inches too short. Caught a few nice yellowtails. The rest of the time we spent in protected water. Bought shrimp the first few days, and had lots of fun with the mangroves. Netted some nice pilchards on the 2nd day and caught much nicer mangroves on those, so we stopped buying shrimp and opted for the freebies. Spent the last full day (Friday) in the canals off of Snake Creek and beat the dickens out of NICE mangs under the docks near the back of the canals. All in all, a great trip. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I was SO excited to get offshore, but the weather just didn't cooperate. I think I'll haul the kayak down as well the next time and poke around the canals in the ol' paddleboat. Good times, tight lines.