Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Darcie VIDEO from 10/17/14, BBi, mullet pod cast net in 450'

Hey guys, another video I just put together. You have all caught smaller mahi and lil' footballs before, but fou will want to check out Darcie cast netting and UW gopro footage of a mullet pod we found in 450' of water. Pretty cool, it's about in the middle of the vid. Thanks.

Oh, the other wrinkle is that while i was rigging ballys we just dropped out two yo-zuri crystal minnows that we use for snook on light snook rods, just to have something in the water while I rigged. Darn lures started getting hammered by bft's and lil' dolphin, SUPER fun. Less than 100' back

http://youtu.be/5IC7Gi5C-oo

Replies

• JimEspoJimEspo Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Awesome footage of that mullet school! Thanks for sharing.
  • rgambotzrgambotz Posts: 224 Deckhand
    Great video, loved the mullet school.
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    I enjoyed the mullet and catching on artificial bait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    The mullet piece was nice! Wow.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    I love Darcie gettin' bossy at 2:25 (dude turn the boat!) and obviously her "crew" @ 7:40 needs to be fired for the poor drag set (that would be Brian, or maybe we should call him Briana) :Bike Nice fillet job at the end too...

Nice video man...
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    That's some darn nice fishing there.

Darcie's technique throwing the net is different from what I have seen before. I'll have to try it that way some time. It looks like a cleaner method compared to the way I currently do it. Her results were certainly good.

Nice job.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    lastmango: YEA, she is getting pretty confident out there AND bossy! We use that big rod for jigging the wrecks so the drag is usually very tight.

JIMinPB: She uses a combo of the calusa method with a lot of Capt Jeff/Lunkerdog "chunk". lol. It's a smaller net. no teeth
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    That dude is a boss on the pink rod. Nice work!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    brianb wrote: »
    lastmango: She uses a combo of the calusa method with a lot of Capt Jeff/Lunkerdog "chunk". lol. It's a smaller net. no teeth

No teeth & no over-the-shoulder, that's what I liked about her method. It's a clean way to handle the net.

I just took a look on the calusa website. It looks like they use teeth over there. I currently use the shoulder trick on nets that size. I'm going to give her way a try when I get a chance.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    No teeth & no over-the-shoulder, that's what I liked about her method. It's a clean way to handle the net.

I just took a look on the calusa website. It looks like they use teeth over there. I currently use the shoulder trick on nets that size. I'm going to give her way a try when I get a chance.

Well then it's more lunkerdog style. Look up on google or better youtube for Capt. jeff maggio, the lunkerdog, mulletrun or whatever and his cast net vids. You may have to watch 2-3 of them as one is worse than the next. lol
    I think that the Darcie example was enough. I tried it tonight & the clean handling method got me about 70% performance compared to the over the shoulder method. That may improve further with practice. I don't think that the clean method will be my all-the-time method, but it is certainly a nice option to have available for the days when I am wearing a button shirt & I'm trying to get bait in an area where it's not so appropriate to take the shirt off.

Thank you Brianb for the information & thank you Darcie.