Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

lots of bullets today

I was thinking of titling this post "bullets were flying", but I figured that might stir up too much commotion.

I ran into a lot of bullet bonita today out of LWI. I headed NE out of the inlet & got my first double hook up around 50 feet. The baby boni hits continued a little past 120. They hit a variety of different rigs, mostly rubber squid.

I put one of the bullets on long line behind a planer & got hit around 150 feet. Whatever hit it, took about 3/4 of the line off of a 4/0 pretty quick, then bit off a 45 pound wire leader. I never saw what it was.

After that, things slowed down. I tried a little bottom fishing, but the bite there wasn't so good. I did get one surprisingly big blue runner.

Free lining mullet didn't draw much for me today either. Neither did drop weighting them. I hadn't really planned on using live bait today, but the mullet were right at the ramp when I put in, so I had made one quick throw & grabbed a quick dozen to give me an extra option.

All in all, it was still a nice day on the water.

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Good try. You'll get that wahoo next time! Thanks for the report.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 997 Officer
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Nice detailed report, thanks.... I'm heading out in a few myself this AM (Jupiter Inlet)... First time in a few months for me...
  • Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 997 Officer
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    You'll get that wahoo next time!

I wish that was the way that it worked out. Unfortunately, I'm now 0 for 2.

I tried again today, with basically the same drill. The exception was that I got some 105 lb. test "tooth proof" wire for a leader. This stuff didn't live up to it's name. It got bit off too.

Fortunately, the bottom bite was better today. Cobia, yellow tail, lane snapper, grunts & porgies all made it into the boat. The Cobia was under sized & had to go back. The same was true for about half the yellow tails. The rest were keeper size.

The seas today were about half what they were yesterday, which made for an easy day on the water.

If anyone can recommend leader material that is better suited for wahoo, I'm listening. I'm pretty much a newbie to warm water fishing & the wahoo is something that I have not run into in the past.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    I wish that was the way that it worked out. Unfortunately, I'm now 0 for 2.

I tried again today, with basically the same drill. The exception was that I got some 105 lb. test "tooth proof" wire for a leader. This stuff didn't live up to it's name. It got bit off too.

Fortunately, the bottom bite was better today. Cobia, yellow tail, lane snapper, grunts & porgies all made it into the boat. The Cobia was under sized & had to go back. The same was true for about half the yellow tails. The rest were keeper size.

The seas today were about half what they were yesterday, which made for an easy day on the water.

If anyone can recommend leader material that is better suited for wahoo, I'm listening. I'm pretty much a newbie to warm water fishing & the wahoo is something that I have not run into in the past.

Thanks,
    Jim

Sometimes you need to reset with a fun action filled bottom trip. If I remember correctly, I think I used 400lb +/- cable on the high speed lures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public