Optimax owners out there?

looking at a 2002 200hp Optimax saltwater on a nice bay boat. 525 hours, regular maintenece. Good even compression and rides like a champ. Little loud wide open, but it is a 2 stroke. I like the yamahas myself, but this is a good deal and I like the rig. I read online posts where guys swear by them, and others that said they are POS. Anyone out there have experience running them? good or bad? Dont bash just bash though. Thanks guys

Replies

• csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    I have an 08 opti 150 and I love it. Like you said, it is a little noisy but it's a good engine. The only issue I had was the bad coil problem but all 6 were replaced under warranty.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,757 Captain
    Define "good deal"

Go into it knowing the engine running in perfect operating condition is only worth 2000-2500 bucks.

Pre 04-05 motors were prone to the "opti-pop" But if that one's made it this far without catastrophic failure it's probably good to go. If it's still got the original air compressor you'll be putting a new one on soon. 500hrs usually marks their death.

Experience: put +\- 1000 hrs on 06 225's
  • McBeavMcBeav Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    nick wrote: »
    Define "good deal"

Go into it knowing the engine running in perfect operating condition is only worth 2000-2500 bucks.

Pre 04-05 motors were prone to the "opti-pop" But if that one's made it this far without catastrophic failure it's probably good to go. If it's still got the original air compressor you'll be putting a new one on soon. 500hrs usually marks their death.

Experience: put +\- 1000 hrs on 06 225's

2002 23FT BAY BOAT NICE SHAPE. $8000 WITH ALUMINUM TANDEM TRAILER.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    My experience with Optimax was an expensive one. When they run, they are powerful, smooth and economical, BUT when they break, they're expensive. I owned a 2002 225 Optimax and went thru a total of 6 injectors in about 150 hrs of running, and after I sold the boat I'm told another two failed within a month. A set of two injectors costs about $600 plus labor. Although I didn't have trouble with the compressor, I've heard lots of reports from people who have. A new compressor will cost about $2500. Although it may not be an Optimax problem, I had a crack develop in the case of the lower unit. It was a pure manufacturing defect on the side of the unit in a non-impact area, and the lower never hit anything. The crack allowed salt water in and oil out. A new OEM lower costs about $2000.

I personally would not buy a boat with a used 2002 Optimax. The risks are too great. The newer Optimax motors may have resolved most of the earlier problems, but I'd still be hesitant to consider one unless it was still under warranty.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/336688-optimax-compressor-failures.html#b
    http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/019420.html
  • badfish43badfish43 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I have had 3 Optimax engines and have not had a single issue with any of them. When considering buying an older Optimax I would run the serial number to get an idea of previous work done on it. Also check the thermostats they need to be 130 degree. Do a leak down test as well as a compression test,do this with a warm engine, all plugs removed and the throttle open fully. If everything checks good I would not be afraid to purchase that motor. It would be a good idea if you do buy this motor to purchase a mercury shop Manual that will help greatly with future service work.
  • ckfrankckfrank Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    I have twin 200 Optimax, 2003 or 2004, I don't remember which. At the very beginning there was an oil warning buzzer problem. It was the buzzer problem, not the oil. Since then, no problem at all. Like everything, I guess, there are some lemons.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,370 Admiral
    I have a 98 and an 01, both are sound motors and running fine. Saltwater only.

Original owner on 98 and it failed when new under warranty and they replaced the power head since then there has been another issue with a crank sensor that made it run rough but it never left me stranded after that first time. Like I said I still have that one it is a 135. the other is a 225 2001, I bought it in 2010, used, so far so good.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 732 Officer
    Any time you buy a used boat/motor and I'm sure you know this, just expect some problems, some bad and some just the usual, and some unusual. I had a 2000 opti it had minor problem with over heating(not the usual) until after many years, my local dealer solved the problem.
    All modern outboard ARE EXPENSIVE to repair after the Warranty, just how many times they need to be repaired is the issue.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,370 Admiral
    Actually the sensor fix on mine wasn't expensive at all and I had some other things done as well at the time, it was reasonable I thought.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • McBeavMcBeav Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input guys. I tested it out and all seems OK. Ran it for about 30 minutes and ran great. Has a couple things I want to work on but got him down to $7500 and jumped on it. Been in love with bay boats for a long time. I am up in Ocala and will more then likely have Millers do some work foe me. But if anyone knows someone that maybe does boat reapirs and rigging on the side that they trust please shoot me their info.

See you on the water soon.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,848 Captain
    I have a 2007 - 115 Opti-max and it's okay. The first round of problems was operator error but the next round not so much. I ran low on oil when I first got the boat and it was MY fault scoring the top piston. Mercury did step in and help me out with the parts but not the labor and I am forever grateful! The next time was unusual, I always had plenty of oil on board but I started getting a warning alarm @4000 RPM's only. I had a 1/2 **** mechanic come "fix" it but he missed the mark just changing the spark plugs and thermostat. I lost 2 cylinders about 20 miles from shore and had to troll in at 4 knots. It turned out a bad sensor that caused the plugs to foul but it still cost me a couple grand to get it right.

All engines have problems. Mercury will stand behind their product as well. Just make sure you NEVER run out of oil and if you hear a beep or any kind of alarm get that engine to A CERTIFIED Mercury mechanic IMMEDIATELY!

I think you'll be fine and happy with your purchase, just take extra special care of that technical power engine. Congrats on the new boat as well!
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com