Redfish and water quality question.

:huh

Been trying to dile in my fishing locations lately How much effect does cloudy, tainted and selenity play in you choose a potential RedFish fishing location.

Thanks
FellowShip

Replies

• bullbaybullbay Posts: 158 Deckhand
    I am not sure of the general affect; but I fished CK this past Sunday and the water was dark/dirty..but the Redfish were chewing strong...mostly overslot fish - but still fun
  • G8trbaitG8trbait Posts: 126 Deckhand
    I think it depends on how you're trying to fish. If you're using live/dead bait on the bottom then they'll just smell it and not need to see it. If you're using a nonscented artificial they will need to see it or feel the vibrations of the lure. Remember that they can see underwater better than we can!

I've only run into "alleged" salinity problems (since I have no way to quantify the salinity of the water) during the winter months in the waccasassa. The river was super high last year so I assume it dropped the amount of salt in the water way up in the creeks. I definitely didn't find as many reds as I had in previous years, but that just could have been me. I blamed it on the salinity, but it could have been many other factors like not holding my mouth right, wrong bait, wrong company etc etc.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    G8trbait wrote: »
    I think it depends on how you're trying to fish. If you're using live/dead bait on the bottom then they'll just smell it and not need to see it. If you're using a nonscented artificial they will need to see it or feel the vibrations of the lure. Remember that they can see underwater better than we can!

I've only run into "alleged" salinity problems (since I have no way to quantify the salinity of the water) during the winter months in the waccasassa. The river was super high last year so I assume it dropped the amount of salt in the water way up in the creeks. I definitely didn't find as many reds as I had in previous years, but that just could have been me. I blamed it on the salinity, but it could have been many other factors like not holding my mouth right, wrong bait, wrong company etc etc.

I got skunked so many **** times this past winter, and not just at Wac. It was just cold and tough fishing. A lot of people I talked to had similar experiences.