Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Boating Licence!

Hey im 13 and my birthday is in july! which means i will be 14 and thats when you can get your boating lcience? do i get it from boat id? what licences do i need ? also will i need fishing licences also? Need help !
Sarasota,Fl 
Fishing, Photography, Life

Replies

• Capt TonyCapt Tony Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    The Sarasota Power Squadron Safe Boating Course will qualify for a license. Here's the info from a press release they just sent out:

The Sarasota Power & Sail Squadron is offering a 4 evening Boat Safety Course November 7, 9,14,16. Course is taught at the Squadron Building 2814 Hyde Park St, 7- 9PM. New Florida law requires anyone born on or after Jan.1, 1988 to take an approved boat safety course if you drive a boat with 10 horsepower or more.

Successful completion of our course will qualify you for the Florida Safe Boaters Certificate. Call 941-927-5879 for reservations or information. www.sarasota-boating.org

Have fun and stay safe,
    Capt. Tony
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    I got my boaters card years ago and still have it on me in my wallet.

In regardss to the second part of your question you will not need a fishing licsene. You will not need that till i believe you are 16, but do not hold me to that as it might be 18
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,670 Captain
    Fishing license is required when you are 16 years old. Good luck on the boating course and test.They should make everyone who registers a boat to do this.
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,260 Officer
    boating license ? what the heck is that ? for ?
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    on fwc they have a few courses you can take. a few you pay when the test is over and one is free. i did the free one and it took about a hour or so.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 538 Officer
    I have a question related to this. We recently bought a 21' ft boat. We already took it offshore twice. I plan on taking a boaters safety course and obtain my boaters license. I looked it up on the FWC website but there are various types of course. im not sure which one to take. I just want to learn the basics, rules, and regulations of boating. Which course should I take? I would also want to take in class and not online.
    BTW, I live in broward and dont mind driving a bit to take the course.

Thanks
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • dlottdlott Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    i went to the cost guard auxiliary and they offer boater safety course and i think that would be more helpful that a boater license for you remel but that would be my thought.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    Google is your friend, when trying to figure out such things:grin

It’s the Law!

Florida law requires that persons born on or after January 1, 1988, complete a NASBLA-approved boater education course prior to operating a vessel powered by a motor of 10 horsepower or more. The law requires that persons affected by this legislation have in their possession a Boating Safety Education I.D. Card issued by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission and photographic I.D. while operating a vessel.

Even if not required by law to get the Florida boating license, many boaters take the boat safety course in order to save on their PWC or boat insurance.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I think you are mistaken. There is no minimum age to operate a boat alone, as long as you have a "boating license" (safety course certificate), and a photo ID. You must be 14 to operate a jet-ski (PWC) though. If boat is less than 10HP, no certificate required.

So, you don't have to wait! Here is a page with links to several online courses. You will need to study the exam materials first.

http://myfwc.com/boating/safety-education/courses/

This is my understanding, and I am pretty sure I am correct. If not, somebody please clarify.

EDIT - I just noticed that this thread is 3 years old! Oh well - maybe it can help someone else. Also, just notice it was posted by my old friend FK315.
    23895.gif