Red Dawn.....10/25

I havent been fishing really hard lately, been fishing just to get away from the stress of work and so forth. Today presented some challenges, like a pretty good wind out of the north, low water, and a wet ride with some coolness. I met my good friend Sam and we headed out to do some probing for reds and trout. The bait was very good despite the cool weather. We loaded up with shiners and pins in no time....

We sat down after a short taxi ride in around 2ft of water and began checking on pot holes and sandy patches of bottom. The wind really chased the water out and off the flat we were interested in. So, we followed it and tried fishing in 3-4ft. of water, fishing the baits on the bottom. Sam was the first to pick up a bite and landed some smallish trout. I took a glance just in time to see him hook up with what appeared to be an overslot redfish, but then it dawned on me he was using light tackle like me and his fish might make the slot......

a_zps8619f80a.jpg

It put up a very nice battle but it could not whip Sam and it was measured at exactly 27 inches.....

We continued on and picked up some more nice trout, mostly small but one did go 19 inches and went into the bait pen....

It was around this time that I pitched out a big white shiner.....and dont you know a pretty red chased it up on top and just busted the heck out of it. It was a thrill to see the water churn and swirl as the big fish engulped the helpless bait.....the fight ensued for around 4 minutes and there were several sweet drag peeling runs. The fish went 29 on the tape.....

b_zps5bf0a62b.jpg

We kept on trying for a good while longer but the reds did not go on a feed, just the two. It was at this point that we got our best trout of the morning, a nice 24 incher that ate a pinfish with its tail clipped off and bleeding. I was stumped initially because the fish fought unlike anything Im accustomed to catching.....but once it got up close I went into full "finesse" mode trying to make sure it didnt throw the hook or have it rip out.....

I checked with Sam and we made one last move to an oyster bar where the mullett were so thick we could get excited about the chances of some fish being around. Indeed, there was a nice snook milling around and it ate a big pinfish inside of 3 minutes. I really thought it was going to make the slot but it didnt....and topped out around 25 inches....and the release was executed without any undue stress other than a quick pic.....

c_zpsa736af81.jpg

And with that it was time to come on in. It was not the most beautiful day but it really is in the eye of the beholder and Sam and I were both pretty happy with catching upwards of 15 fish or so. I wanna give a shout out to my buddy Amurleopard as he is in a tournament today, "I hope you are tearing em' up"! And ofcourse, I want to give all the Glory to God the Father. Safe passage, fish caught, great comraderie, and a good hamburger for lunch. I am thankful for His blessings.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....

Replies