Saltwaterand Boat Motors

davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
I am about to buy a used boat. I live in Tennessee. I will mainly be using the boat on the lake in my area, but I also plan on bringing it for saltwater trips. That said, I see were some motors say they are for saltwater. Can/should i use a normal motor in salt water?

Replies

• dsteus1dsteus1 Posts: 85 Deckhand
    davidgid wrote: »
    I am about to buy a used boat. I live in Tennessee. I will mainly be using the boat on the lake in my area, but I also plan on bringing it for saltwater trips. That said, I see were some motors say they are for saltwater. Can/should i use a normal motor in salt water?

I bought a 25 hp mercury 2 stroke thats a motor built for freshwater and only use it in saltwater I use corrosion x spray on everything under the cowling and make sure I flush the motor with freshwater after every trip and my motor has very minor amounts of corrosion still super clean and doesn't look like ive used it in anything but freshwater.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,726 Captain
    Just make sure the sacrificial anodes are zinc, as some freshwater motors have magnesium anodes or plastic inserts that look like metal.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    Klinger wrote: »
    Just make sure the sacrificial anodes are zinc, as some freshwater motors have magnesium anodes or plastic inserts that look like metal.

X2

Saltwater engines are usually pretty close to the fresh with some substitutions of Stainless steel parts.

Mostly your looking to protect the aluminum. Flush motor with the muffs and the quickport. To clean it out better, launch at a local lake before going home.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    I will do that. I was looking and they look easy to replace and don't look to be expensive.
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Ok and that was what I was wondering... what the difference between the motors were. Launching at a local lake sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tips everyone.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,260 Officer
    Your trailer will thank you also if you launch at a lake.