Home Politics

Jesus Debunked

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,448 AG
    David C. wrote: »
    Is that right? OR is it more like the world has some people that are HOPING that there is no God so that they can do whatever they want with no repercussions?

Actually, the premise of religion allows you to do whatever you want without repercussions. you can commit murder and as long as you accept Jesus as your savior after that you are good to go.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand

This has become a vicious circle. So you are going to do what is morally right? what is the BASIS for that morality? Do you not desire SOMETHING to base your belief system on? OR do you wish to create your own set of beliefs based on your opinions? I'm asking because I really would like to know your thoughts.
    cadman wrote: »
    Actually, the premise of religion allows you to do whatever you want without repercussions. you can commit murder and a slong as you accept Jesus as your savior you are good to go.

Is that right? Please provide chapter and verse for that bunch of hooey since you have read the Bible.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Religion provides a 'scapegoat' to alleviate guilt. Your sins are consumed by and onto a sineater.
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    This has become a vicious circle. So you are going to do what is morally right? what is the BASIS for that morality? Do you not desire SOMETHING to base your belief system on? OR do you wish to create your own set of beliefs based on your opinions? I'm asking because I really would like to know your thoughts.

The fact you need someone else to tell you murder is wrong and you couldn't figure it out for yourself is messed up.
    greggl wrote: »
    Religion provides a 'scapegoat' to alleviate guilt. Your sins are consumed by and onto a sineater.

Really? Do you actually believe that? I did a search for sineater, and it still makes no sense, along the same lines as your comment. Please enlighten us!
    The fact you need someone else to tell you murder is wrong...

Is that right? That is a bizarre argument at best. Is that all you have? This should be easy pickens. Bring it on, conchy!
    Is that right? That is a bizarre argument at best. Is that all you have? This should be easy pickens. Bring it on, conchy!

You are confusing empathy with morality.
    You are confusing empathy with morality.

OK, please clarify for me so that I can discuss the issue with you in an intelligent and level headed way.
    Really? Do you actually believe that? I did a search for sineater, and it still makes no sense, along the same lines as your comment. Please enlighten us!

I was exposed to James Fasier, Joseph Campbell and Joseph Conrad and general philosophy in high school back in the late 80s and started suspecting there were mechanisms at play, along these lines.

The interwebs introduced me to the wor of Rene Girard, who was working in the same directions. Strangely enough, it was an article about Peter Thiel discussing Girard in relation to Facebook where I was able to connect the dots to his formal work:

http://girardianlectionary.net/res/iss_12-scapegoat.htm
  • David C. wrote: »
    C'mon, Gary, you can't tell me that you didn't at least get a chuckle out of that comment. Man, he looks really young there. We watched Blue Hawaii last night, what a great talent he was, both as a singer and actor. The world lost a true American icon when he died.

Yes he was. I liked the Corgi who stole the girl's bikini.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,448 AG
    Is that right? Please provide chapter and verse for that bunch of hooey since you have read the Bible.

"He was handed over to die because of our sins, and he was raised to life to make us right with God."

Most of the protestant religions are built upon the "born again" foundation. That the profession of belief in Jesus and being "born again" under his umbrella forgives you of previous trespasses in the life before Christ. If, once you committed a sin, you were doomed to hell with no chance of forgiveness, there would be a lot less Christians.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Pretty much sums it up....

This is a quote from some pointy headed know it all pseudo intellectual wannabe. I'm unimpressed.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    We've seen Bertrand Russell's opinion confirmed right here. The harder cultists try to deny it the more obvious the truth becomes. It's their insecurity & doubt about their preposterous ghosts & magic myths that makes them become "furious" when the mumbo-jumbo is "disputed".

Cultists get their panties in a knot even at the suggestion of just discussing selected points within their "comfortable myths".

If they were earnestly interested in intelligent conversation they would've addressed a simple thing like the ubiquitous halos in the myth.

Obviously they are not interested in intelligent conversation, have contributed nothing to it & seek to repress objective examination of any point in the myth.

Cultists are "furious" at anyone who questions their ghosts & magic. They "hate" it when anybody points out that there is no "good evidence" for any of the ghosts & magic.
    OK, please clarify for me so that I can discuss the issue with you in an intelligent and level headed way.

The fact you do not know the difference says you will be unable to discuss in an intelligent way.
    cadman wrote: »
    "He was handed over to die because of our sins, and he was raised to life to make us right with God."

Most of the protestant religions are built upon the "born again" foundation. That the profession of belief in Jesus and being "born again" under his umbrella forgives you of previous trespasses in the life before Christ. If, once you committed a sin, you were doomed to hell with no chance of forgiveness, there would be a lot less Christians.

There is a whole section of hell that's really pissed over the it's now ok to eat meat on fridays deal....
  • You don't know who Bertrand Russell was, do you?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Your endless hypocrisy is comical.
    This is a quote from some pointy headed know it all pseudo intellectual wannabe. I'm unimpressed.

You've proven yourself to be neither intelligent or level headed. And post like "some pointy headed know it all pseudo intellectual wannabee".

Bertrand Russell would not be impressed.
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    Lemme know if ya need any light ;)

After serving time in prison Oscar Wilde died destitute in Paris at the age of 46. I guess he never found any light....:wink
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
    Catch 22 wrote: »
    After serving time in prison Oscar Wilde died destitute in Paris at the age of 46. I guess he never found any light....:wink

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Greg I am really getting to like you...:rotflmao
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
    I try :)

Jr year high school, Emo Phillips wrote this on the back of my shirt:
    I try :)

Jr year high school, Emo Phillips wrote this on the back of my shirt:

Emo had the funniest religion joke ever.
    Emo had the funniest religion joke ever.

There heretic one? Yep. That's tops in my book as well.
  • D E E PD E E P Posts: 1,627 Moderator
    Speaking of jokes;

Little Zachary was doing very badly in math. His parents had tried everything…tutors, mentors, flash cards, special learning centers, and more.

In short, everything they could think of to help his math.

Finally, in a last ditch effort, they took Zachary down and enrolled him In the local Catholic school. After the first day, little Zachary came home with a very serious look on his face. He didn’t even kiss his mother hello. Instead, he went straight to his room and started studying.

Books and papers were spread out all over the room and little Zachary was hard at work. His mother was amazed. She called him down to dinner.

To her shock, the minute he was done, he marched back to his room without a word, and in no time, he was back hitting the books as hard as before.

This went on for some time, day after day, while the mother tried to understand what made all the difference.

Finally, little Zachary brought home his Report Card. He quietly laid it on the table, went up to his room and hit the books. With great trepidation, His Mom looked at it and to her great surprise, Little Zachary got an ’A’ in math.

She could no longer hold her curiosity. She went to his room and said, ‘Son, what was it? Was it the nuns?’ Little Zachary looked at her and shook his head, no. ‘Well, then,’ she replied, Was it the books, the discipline, the structure, the uniforms? WHAT WAS IT?’

Little Zachary looked at her and said, ‘Well, on the first day of school when I saw that guy nailed to the plus sign, I knew they weren’t fooling around.’
    Your endless hypocrisy is comical.

Bertrand Russell would not be impressed.

Is that right?

Here you go...

Bertrand Russell Debunked;

http://thetruththatneverdies.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-fallacy-of-bertrand-russells-first.html

Is that all that you have?

You guys are making this WAY too easy for me.
    So who has more followers? Bertrand Russell or Jesus?
    Oh, by the way, here is a quote;

P.S. “I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.” Bertrand Russell

Oh how confident he was in his own opinion!
    I can't make this stuff up....
    Maybe Catch could've learned something from Oscar Wilde's play 'The Importance of Being Earnest'?
    Catch 22 wrote: »

Although married & having 2 kids, Wilde had a gay relationship with the son of a vengeful man, who made the affair public, persecuted Wilde & caused him to be arrested & imprisoned.

Average life expectancy in Ireland was scarcely more than 40 years at that time.

I'd guess Oscar Wilde was a genuine Oxford educated intellectual & no doubt found more light than the typical internet fishing forum fundamentalist ever even dreamed of.
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    Seriously, can religion go to another thread? Pretty please?