Casitas saved the day! With GPS #s!

Took the family out this weekend to do a little spearing and lobstering, weather was too nice not to. Visibility was unreal, from the tower we could spot them 100yards away. Found a few new ones to add to out list of spots, some of them I've been diving on for 4-5 years. Here are some numbers:

7D286421-9467-4FDE-B815-953618899BE9_zpskjwxiuza.jpg

:grin

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    glad your day got saved
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,193 AG
    Cockpit deck looks too cluttered......... You guys need a bigger boat! :grin
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Ummmm.....I could be totally wrong here, but I was under the impression that it was illegal to take lobsters from a casita, even if it wasn't yours. Personally, I don't care, but if I am right...just saying. You might not want to use the word "casita," along with photos of the lobsters you just caught.
    .......Rick
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    X2^. Glad you got some.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 647 Officer
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    Ummmm.....I could be totally wrong here, but I was under the impression that it was illegal to take lobsters from a casita, even if it wasn't yours. Personally, I don't care, but if I am right...just saying. You might not want to use the word "casita," along with photos of the lobsters you just caught.

Not illegal in the Bahamas. According to those #s that's where he was.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    limitless wrote: »
    Yes the Bahamas, not illegal. DP knows the rules more then most...
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral

Right rigger! :grin
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 1,005 Officer
    CAREFUL- According to Pucker, those lobsters may have the ability to get diseased because they are so tightly clustered in the casita. Curious, was the casita placed right on top of pristine live coral like they suggest? Was it places on lush seagrass thus hurting the delicate ecocycle? Again, according to Pucker, since you dived on casita's, you had to have gone over your limit so go ahead, confess it, you have 3459 lobsters stowed below your deck. Those kids look like future poachers, complete with mirrored sunglasses... just ask Puck. And finally, since they were caught on man made structure, and diving man made structure is illegal here in the states, then it makes sense that you would NOT bring any back to stick in your freezer right? You wouldn't want to reap the benefits of something that our illustrious big brother NOAA has said is evil now would you?
    Permit Rat wrote: »

I think he may be playing games with his "casitas" post
    Wow Reef, you busted us, how do you do it?

:wink

Occasionally I have been known to be a bit of a smart ***
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain

OK....I didn't know that. I hope that by reading the post, and considering where it was posted (Keys Forum) that some confusion might be possible.
    .......Rick
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    :fishing
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
    dpdash wrote: »
    Wow Reef, you busted us, how do you do it?

:wink

Occasionally I have been known to be a bit of a smart ***

That's because I took the GARY COLLECHIO School of Investigative Work- It teaches you to read between the lines and know who's guilty, even before they do the crime. It's rumored that Inspector Cleussea and Sherlock Holmes BOTH took his course as did Barnaby Jones, Rockford, Columbo, Matlock and all 3 of Charlies Angels.
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    Rob and DP, you continue to mock the situation even in the face of additional charges being slapped on the Veach's. You all will never get it and all the while wonder why and scream foul the man continues to pursue you and those breaking the law. You could actually do some good but chose not to.

BTW, you or your buddies need a good attorney, I would recommend Nathan Diamond.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Rob and DP, you continue to mock the situation even in the face of additional charges being slapped on the Veach's. You all will never get it and all the while wonder why and scream foul the man continues to pursue you and those breaking the law. You could actually do some good but chose not to.

BTW, you or your buddies need a good attorney, I would recommend Nathan Diamond.

PF... Not sure what you are talking about WRT mocking. I would imagine that you mean Hammer, not Harris (ref: Rob).

Seemed to me to be all in fun, but then again I didn't read the document, erm..., thread about poaching in detail.

Oddly, the thing with the Veach's has been pretty quiet around town, or I just don't travel in the same circles that would know.

Sincerely,
    Rob H (Harris)
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.

Oh PUCK, you are so predictable. I tossed out the bait and you took it like an amberjack on a wreck. lol
    I don't know what the Veach's are facing anymore than what I've read. I did read hear that they are fighting the charges and through the grapevine I've heard that they are not going to Plea bargain... Who knows? Who cares? It doesn't affect me. It sounds right up the Govt's alley to throw more charges at them for not cooperating. It will all work out in the end now won't it?

Now, you say "The man continues to pursue me". If he is, I hope he took nice pics of me while I cleaned muttons and groupers at the marina on Saturday. Who knows, maybe I caught them casita's, or maybe, just maybe I caught them fair and square. With the drones and the satellites it really wouldn't be hard to tell where I was fishing now would it? Maybe the ranger at the Tortuga's phoned them and told them to keep a sharp eye on me? What I'm getting at Puck is pretty simple, I haven't dived lobsters since the 2008 and don't plan on diving them. You know where I stand on casita's and I don't care if YOU, Gary, NOAA, FWC, OBAMA, PETA or any other entity doesn't like my opinion, it's MY OPINION. I know you're just dying to have me screw up but I'm not going to give you that satisfaction.

If you want to know my fishing schedule, just ask. Then you can inform "them" about it and they can come and check my fish. You see Puck, now that I'm no longer selling fish (not that you believe me), I have no reason to break any laws. I'll be fishing the guys from Furuno before the boat show, feel free to stop by and check out our catch. We'll be back right at dark.

Oh, and Nathan Diamond is a good attorney, I highly recommend him but I believe the Veach's have their own. I see your still skimming through old facts TRYING to rattle my cage.... keep trying, it keeps you young at heart.

Hammer

and in SHORT order, Gary should spout off as well
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,153 Admiral
    Pucker, for a educated man you still don't get it. Mini season, over exploitation in other countries where the larvae come from and ghost traps put more harm on the resource than anything.

http://www.indabook.org/get/ja8SNcmc1gF9pRemIwREOHPkpn02nSqtj1LZpswoqsg,/Florida-s-Spiny-Lobster-Fishery-A-history-of-user-conflict.pdf

One other thing, casitas will give you a better product for the market as compared to a trap. Trapped crawfish have been dining on rotten cowhide prior to harvest. Not very appetizing is it.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

GREAT article Conchy, you should read it Puck. I don't believe I'm mocking the situation, I'm certainly not breaking the law as you implied, now, Rob, that guy is a lunatic law breaker. :wink I simply posted a report stating that I caught lobsters on casitas, even gave GPS numbers in case someone wanted to go retrieve them.
    I'm a scofflaw; a dangerous criminal. Keep your children indoors when I drive by because I exude death and disorder. I'm ISIS, ebola and the red tide all rolled into a 51 year old man with a plug rod in my hand. :fishing
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    HAMMER, you went fishing and didn't give a report!! Come on man, show a little peek for us suckers that have to sit in a cube and dream of clear water and big fish.
    Since you asked, I will give you the condensed version. I fished with the anal retentive guy with the 35 Contender. We ran up to the N of the Tortuga's. First spot was loaded with bluefish. Then, went to the rock pile for kings. Nothing over 25 lbs. Went west to a spot and caught nothing but red snappers grrrr. Let them all go. Went to another spot, started catching muttons but once again red snappers muscled their way past everything and continued to annoy us. grrr. Went to another spot, got a 25 lb gag and a couple of big red grouper but we had to let those go. grrrr. Caught a BIG mangrove snapper on the surface at a wk and then the cuda's ate us up. One jewby released.

Went into the fort, stayed the night. Woke up, threw the net and blacked the live well out. Went to see if the ballyhoo had moved iinto the shallows yet, they had not thus the bite was non existent (caught only 2 keeper red groupers). Took off to the deep water where we caught scamps, red groupers and LOTs of red snappers. We would have to constantly move as the sharks (silky) were eating every other fish. Ran back to KW, filleted the fish and drove home. Not a banner trip by any means. I added up the number of species caught 23 but I didn't feel it was worth writing a story on. I did video tape a bunch of the red snapper released just to show how annoying they are.
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    AHH, just reading that has made this day almost bearable. We have the same problem with the near extinct red snapper up here in Jacksonville. It's amazing how many fish we have to throw back overboard nowadays. Another couple months up here and the shut down almost everything on the bottom. At least gas has come down a little.
    sorry you guys can't keep some of the "near extinct red snapper." I think that it may have helped Florida Sportsmen that Bush was a fisherman.
    I don't blame Bush or Obama, I blame the the NMFS and BS statistics. I fish the Tortuga's. I've always been able to catch red snappers. My gripe is that they are pushing out the mutton snappers from area's that traditionally were nothing but muttons. Currently, we're allowed to catch/keep 10 muttons per person year round yet we're only allowed to catch/keep red snappers for 9 days a year and keep only 2. If you take my last 5 trips, I would say that conservatively that we caught somewhere in the 150 range of red snappers and we would move to get away from them. The mutton tally would be somewhere in the 30-40 range. Letting us catch 2 per person will not affect the red snapper population in any way.
    I don't blame Bush or Obama, I blame the the NMFS and BS statistics. I fish the Tortuga's. I've always been able to catch red snappers. My gripe is that they are pushing out the mutton snappers from area's that traditionally were nothing but muttons. Currently, we're allowed to catch/keep 10 muttons per person year round yet we're only allowed to catch/keep red snappers for 9 days a year and keep only 2. If you take my last 5 trips, I would say that conservatively that we caught somewhere in the 150 range of red snappers and we would move to get away from them. The mutton tally would be somewhere in the 30-40 range. Letting us catch 2 per person will not affect the red snapper population in any way.

I agree, 2 per person is a great idea. To quote Barry Mcguire, "this whole crazy world is just too frustating."
  • Spear'em!Spear'em! Posts: 177 Officer
    DP - How did you manage to find and catch those lobster on the secret cement ship wreck?

I did find a hole that held lobsters year after year but they were down a 10 foot steel shaft and we could never get them out.

Nice job on catching tails on the biggest condo ever placed in the bahamas.
    I'll never tell:wink