Home Egret Boats

Winterize??

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
I realize you guys for the most part probably fish all year. However, I dont. Any tips on storage of the SHO? This is my first SHO and I need to put her up in a month or so until probably late Februray. I do not want to deal with the effects of E-10 and unfortunately, that's about all we have up here. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm a bowhunter and I travel a good bit on hunting trips. Being a business owner, it's hard to support two passions and I prefer back strap over filets this time of the year! :cool:
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    I keep Star Brite Star Tron Additive in my fuel (100% gas around here) any time it's going to sit. It was designed to fight the water in the Ethonal fuel. Recommended to me by master Yami tech. Ring Free is expensive but good for the 02 sensor(s) and now comes with a fuel treatment component as well. Good hunting.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    UFGator86 wrote: »
    I keep Star Brite Star Tron Additive in my fuel (100% gas around here) any time it's going to sit. It was designed to fight the water in the Ethonal fuel. Recommended to me by master Yami tech. Ring Free is expensive but good for the 02 sensor(s) and now comes with a fuel treatment component as well. Good hunting.

BB, regardless of whether you run E10 or not, when your tank "breathes" it will pull in moisture. I don't touch E10 but my boat sat awhile this past winter because I was duck hunting all winter and only running the mudboat.

I had a water-in-fuel issue in February because I let it sit with about 1/4 tank, which I know better than to do but did it anyways. Once I ran a couple of tanks through it and drained the water out of the racor everything was fine but anyone who tells you condensation doesn't happen inside your tank is eithr wrong or lucky. I unscrewed my fuel cap one early morning and the entire underside of the cap was nothing but condensation; imagine the inside of the tank.

Fill the tank and use the Marine Sta-Bil or StaBil 360. Then run as much out as you can next spring before filling up again. To my knowledge neither Star-Tron nor RingFree or QuickKleen stabilize your fuel. The new StaBil 360 is designed to further protect your tank from moisture inside the tank; it's not cheap but it's only once a year for storage and you don't seem like you skimp on taking care of your boat so it's worth a look.
  • Reel nutReel nut Posts: 33 Deckhand
    TGunn wrote: »
    BB, regardless of whether you run E10 or not, when your tank "breathes" it will pull in moisture. I don't touch E10 but my boat sat awhile this past winter because I was duck hunting all winter and only running the mudboat.

Rogers sporting goods had a good deal on kids sized waders last week, it may still be going on, just figured I'd pass it along incase you were needing a new pair. ;)
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    T-Gunn hit the nail on the head.
    Fill it up,use Marine sta-bil.
    I would run it on the ear muffs at least monthly and operate the steering ,power pole, jack plate--all mechanicals to keep lubed.
    After running the old gas out and draining the racor, I would replace the cartridge.
    Probably want to move the trailer around also to keep the hubs lubed..
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    Reel nut wrote: »
    Rogers sporting goods had a good deal on kids sized waders last week, it may still be going on, just figured I'd pass it along incase you were needing a new pair. ;)

Speaking of decrepit boats that are falling apart. . .
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,354 Admiral
    You not only have to deal with the water issue, you also have to worry about phase separation. There is no additive to prevent that.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Thanks guys. I run ring free every tank. Have been using the Yamaha Fuel Conditioner but may swap to the 360 if yall have had good luck with it. Ive heard the phase seperation on the E 10 fuels can be in as little as 3 months. BS?

• SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Just send it down to me BB and I will run it every week for you. I am willing to make the sacrifice for you.

BTW, do you hunt around your neck of the woods or somewhere else. I will be in and around Ocilla this season.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Spook wrote: »
    Just send it down to me BB and I will run it every week for you. I am willing to make the sacrifice for you.

BTW, do you hunt around your neck of the woods or somewhere else. I will be in and around Ocilla this season.

I have about 3000 acres in Grady and Decatur counties. When I'm here and not on a trip I bow hunt those tracts. I probably better keep Bad Behavior up here in the shop so I can give her sone lovin' every couple of days:grin

• Reel nutReel nut Posts: 33 Deckhand
    TGunn wrote: »
    Speaking of decrepit boats that are falling apart. . .

Nah, there was never a BOAT issue.........
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 528 Officer
    Tgunn, you said: "To my knowledge neither Star-Tron nor RingFree or QuickKleen stabilize your fuel."

FYI, Star Tron will in fact stabilize fuel for up to 2 years. Just thought you'd like to know. The other products you mentioned are not stabilizers.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    as Colleckio would say, "it's all snake oil".

Drain that old gas out and give it to the yard guy. He'll pump it into his 1985 Ford F-150 and be whistling all the way home (or all the way to the **** mart for a pack of cools and some malt liquor)
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    as Colleckio would say, "it's all snake oil".

Drain that old gas out and give it to the yard guy. He'll pump it into his 1985 Ford F-150 and be whistling all the way home (or all the way to the **** mart for a pack of cools and some malt liquor)

Wow dude you have a yard guy? No wonder your not flying an Egret!