Spanish in North Key Largo

I have always done my Spanish Mackerel fishing north of marathon in the open waters of Florida bay. I just moved the boat to Jewfish creek in Key Largo. Anyone have any pointers as to Where can I catch S macks in that area? Card Sound, Blackwater sound?
Any info helps as I like fishing for them in the coming months.

Replies

• Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 270 Deckhand
    I am a part time resident/weekender and I have yet to have any success in the areas you mentioned....seems like you have to go deep into the bay near Flamingo for any success....and that would be in a shallow draft boat and to do back country type fishing...I may be wrong but I don't think that area is fishy at all...I want to give that type of fishing for macks and mangroves a try but I will be trailering the boat down south...we have excellent success in the patch reefs and deeper reefs and you do get the occasional cero mack...big ones too...while chumming and yellowtailing...we stick to reef fishing and when the wind kicks up we just stay home....
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    It's about a 30 mile run to Florida bay where they are plentiful during the winter season. I have found them just north of the Card sound bridge after the pilchards show up in large numbers. It's still to early in the season to find them around. Once the cold fronts start moving through they will show up
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • JoepilotJoepilot Posts: 38 Deckhand
    I must admit it has been tough fishing for me on the backside of Key Largo. In the winter I can get descent Mangroves and Jacks and Bonnet head sharks, But I have not located the trout areas and I have never heard about Spanish Mackerel in that area. Card sound is a big open area of water and I have seen some birds working schools of Jacks in the open. Maybe someone on here can give both of us some info.
    I fish with my 6 year old so I need pretty good action even if they are small. When the weather is good we have a blast on the reefs and Dolphin etc, but now the windy weather is coming and getting out on a 18 footer and 6 year old doesn't work out to well on the front side.
    Key Largo 359
    So your first pick would be a 30 mile run to the open bay and If you don't want to do that I should try for the area on the North side of the Card Sound Bridge.
    I personally wouldn't make the run to Florida bay just for the Mack's but if that is what your targeting that would be your best bet. Lot's of nice mangrove snapper out their too. South Biscayne Bay is a very short run from Jew fish creek. while fishing in the area just north of Card sound Bridge I have caught them. Also Don't give up on the trout they have been scares as of late but they are definitely plenty of trout west of Key largo and in some other areas I can't mention here is a shot of some nice trout and mangroves from last year.
    Joe have you tried fishing the trout creek area that's always a hit or miss area for me but when the trout are in their I have caught hundreds in a day. also Snook and red fish. are always a possibility their too. I don't know how much your boat drafts but you should be OK on an 18 as long as you stay on plain getting in the creek. their are stick markers to guide you in.
    I have scouted trout creek out on an extremely windy day. I will plan on heading back in on another trip this winter.
    I can get in some shallow areas my boat is a 1750 Scout but it does not have a trolling motor or poling platform.
    After you past the stakes is it a deeper creek or do you fish the around the stakes. The water was churned up from heavy wind
    So I couldn't get a good feel of the currents and layout of the area.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,141 AG
    What about Sp Macks on the oceanside in KL? Maybe joe can sneak out there to find some. Areas, depths, techniques?
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 320 Deckhand
    IVe mackerel in 15 ft of water in key largo ocean side. Next to mosquito further out, put a chum bag out get the Ballyhoos behind the boat and the Mack's will come. Big Ceros.
    Joe once you get past the stakes you will see a weather station next to the mangroves. at that point you have plenty of water all the way to the back of the creek once you get back to the back bay it gets shallow again I have caught trout all through the creek work the banks with live pilchards or shrimp for snapper, reds, Snook. The trout I catch on artificials.
    Thanks Guys for the insight on the creek and trying the mosquito bank for the ceros.