2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Fetches $250,000 at Auction

King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,419 Admiral
I want one!!!

By Anita Lienert, Correspondent | Published Sep 26, 2011

2012_chevrolet_camaro_prf_ns_92611_815.jpg

LAS VEGAS — A 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 sold for $250,000 at the Barrett-Jackson auction on Saturday. It is noteworthy not just for the sum it commanded, but because it is the only 2012 Camaro ZL1 coupe made with the Carbon Flash Metallic exterior.

The new high-performance Camaro ZL1 — the first offered to the public — was bought by Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. Proceeds of the auction will benefit the YMCA of Southern Nevada.

General Motors said the Hendrick's Camaro will be the 69th ZL1 built at the Oshawa Assembly Plant, in tribute to the 1969 Camaro ZL1, of which only 69 were produced.

ZL1 is the code name for the 427-cubic-inch big-block engine developed for Corvette racecars in the late 1960s. The engine ended up in 69 Camaros in 1969. The 1969 Camaro was voted the "best Chevy of all time" — a somewhat controversial pick — in a recent online contest sponsored by Chevrolet.

The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 will arrive in showrooms in early 2012.

Briggs Auto is Excited about the New 2012 Camaro ZL1 That Delivers 580 Horsepower and Exclusive Technologies
ZL1 power complemented by exclusive Magnetic Ride Control and Performance Traction Management; Supercharged, 6.2L LSA V-8 delivers 580 horsepower and 556 lb.-ft. of torque
ShareThis Email PDF Print . .KS (PRWEB) September 24, 2011

The sales professionals at Briggs Auto love the new 2012 Camaro ZL1. As the leading Chevrolet dealership in Kansas, they have an inside track on all the latest technologies available from Chevy. The new Camaro ZL1 has a lot to offer - a whopping 580 horsepower - the most powerful production Camaro ever made.

The ZL1’s outstanding power is complemented by advanced powertrain and chassis technologies, including exclusive Performance Traction Management and third-generation Magnetic Ride Control.

“The Camaro ZL1 delivers supercar performance and technology in the sports-car segment,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer.

“For sheer power, the ZL1 delivers more horsepower than a Ferrari 458, more torque than an Aston Martin DB9 V12, and a better power-to-weight ratio than a Porsche 911 Carrera GTS. The Camaro ZL1 also features exclusive chassis and traction technologies, to offer the best of all worlds – including balanced handling for the track, acceleration for a drag strip, and the comfort of a daily driver.”

The 2012 Camaro ZL1’s surpasses the advertised power of the legendary 1969 Camaro ZL1’s 427 cubic-inch big block by more than 150 horsepower - while meeting modern emissions requirements.

“The torque is going to make the ZL1 a car you won’t want to get out of,” said John Rydzewski, assistant chief engineer for small block engines.

“Not only will the ZL1 have more power and torque than the competition, we’re making it available with an optional automatic transmission, to appeal to a wider group of sports car enthusiasts.”

The new Camaro is loved by all types of drivers around the country. It also comes with a lot of great safety features that make it one of the safest Camaros ever made.

Like the Magnetic Ride Control, the Performance Traction Management system improves the ZL1 experience as a daily driver and on the track,” Oppenheiser added.

“By offering five distinct modes of traction management, the driver can select what’s best for them based on their experience and the driving conditions. As a result, novice drivers will find the ZL1 is very enjoyable to drive, while expert drivers will find PTM supplements their driving skill without interfering with their intentions.”

Locals who want to learn more about any of the great new Camaro models for sale should stop in at Briggs Auto Group - the leading Chevy dealer in Kansas. Their sales team can answer any questions consumers might have and also schedule them for a test drive. At Briggs Auto Group, they love the Camaro and it shows

Replies

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    They keep coming after it with the Camaro and the Charger and others, but still the ol' Mustang rules supreme when it comes to the longevity and success of muscle cars.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,419 Admiral
    Well don't forget about the Corvette ZR1 which has been one of the best performance cars in the world for a fraction of the cost of some of the imports.

I think they're incorporating a lot of the technology from the Vette into the Camaro. I see the Camaro being around for awhile this time.

A new ZR1 is somewhere at around $110,000 I wonder what the price is going to be on the Camaro ZL1? I can also see them introducing a Z28 model in the future which would even take the performance further. Got to love how the marketing guys work this :)
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Probably some rapper with too much money to waste.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • Angler719Angler719 CrawfordvillePosts: 531 Officer
    Probably some rapper with too much money to waste.

Read much?

The new high-performance Camaro ZL1 — the first offered to the public — was bought by Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. Proceeds of the auction will benefit the YMCA of Southern Nevada.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    No didn't read the novel attached. So it was bought by some redneck That is good at making left hand turns with too much money to waste.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    No didn't read the novel attached. So it was bought by some redneck That is good at making left hand turns with too much money to waste.

Rick Hendrick is a poor white southern farmer????
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • richard arichard a Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Also, the car was being auctioned for charity. After watching many of these auctions, the charity cars do very well.
    Member #1125
  • fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 311 Deckhand
    Did I read it has corbon fiber body panels?
    I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Did I read it has corbon fiber body panels?

I'm thinking its a special paint ... "Carbon Flash Metallic exterior".

Might as well be made from unobtanium....$250K :rotflmao
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
    I was watching a Barrett-Jackson auction on TV the other day and it was a special auction for Vettes, I couldn't believe the prices that they were getting for these used vettes, many went for overr $250,000! Some people have A LOT of play money out there.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,954 Admiral
    No matter how much makeup they put on that pig it's still UGLY!!!
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • pointerDixie214pointerDixie214 Posts: 5,658 Admiral
    It's still just a Chevy. Sweet ride. So are the Corvettes. They're sweet too. But they aren't anything special when you're talking that much money.

But for a quarter million bucks you can get I would be driving a Ferrari.
    "Her beauty radiated like a beacon from a lighthouse!" - Buddy McCoy :hail
    But for a quarter million bucks you can get I would be driving a Ferrari.

But for less than the cost of a Ferrari you can buy a Vette for a fraction of the Ferrari and kick its butt :)

If I ever run into some Mad money I would love to buy a used late model Camaro and throw an LS9 in it similar to this one - Would be a fun project car.
  • ReelhootReelhoot Posts: 251 Officer
    Does the carbon fiber make it invisible to radar? Just wondering.
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p341728

FOR RENT: Beautiful 2 bed 2 bath condo in Hunter Springs, Crystal River
    Reelhoot wrote: »
    Does the carbon fiber make it invisible to radar? Just wondering.

I think its just to make the car lighter.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Reelhoot wrote: »
    Does the carbon fiber make it invisible to radar? Just wondering
    King_Me wrote: »
    I think its just to make the car lighter.

According to GMmotorsports.com....

You were probably watching college football last night, and that’s okay. Just know that while you were doing so, a one-of-a-kind Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 sold at the Barrett-Jackson auction block for the esteemed price of $250,000. What sets the car apart is that it will be the only model coated in Carbon Flash Metallic paint when it rolls off the Oshawa assembly line, where it will be the 69th ZL1 to do so.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • slapshotslapshot Posts: 172 Officer
    The carbon flash metallic is a gorgeous color, but it's still just a Chebby Camaro with a cheap plastic interior.
  • OviVOviV Posts: 229 Deckhand
    They are going to go for about $55k from what I have read. I might have to upgrade my SS if that price is correct. A lot of car for the money.

Ovi
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,788 AG
    $250,000 you can buy a Callaway for less than 1/2 and almost the same amount of power.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • reeljobreeljob Posts: 385 Officer
    King_Me wrote: »
    But for less than the cost of a Ferrari you can buy a Vette for a fraction of the Ferrari and kick its butt :)

Seriously? Pull up to the valet in your camaro or vette and go park in the back by the dishwasher. I'll take the Ferrari - TYVM
    I was born with nothing, and I have most of it left.