Home Conservation Forums

Bow fishing?

knotbobknotbob Posts: 44 Deckhand
My son in law wants to bring his bow to shoot fish off the bow.
I would assume that it may be alright for flounder but I'm not even sure that is legal.
What fish can you shoot with a bow?
(This could have something to do with the slot size schools of redfish we drifted in for and hour and couldn't get a bite. We did consider the landing net but we couldn't get quite close enough and something tells me that is probably not legal either.
Thanks,
Robb
Jacksonville, Fl.

Replies

• BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/saltwater/gear-spearing/

Don't shoot a red drum , but I hear you can cast net them .
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    If you happen to run across a blue tilapia in fresh water it is my understanding that you can bowfish for them.
    You can bowfish in fresh water , but you can't bowfish salt water fish in freshwater
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    BD27 wrote: »
    You can bowfish in fresh water , but you can't bowfish salt water fish in freshwater

Mullet considered salt water fish and therefore not ok to bowfish?
  • knotbobknotbob Posts: 44 Deckhand
    BD27 wrote: »
    http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/saltwater/gear-spearing/

Don't shoot a red drum , but I hear you can cast net them .

I red the regs and don't understand them. What's new? You have to be a lawyer to read and understand. You have to be at or below the waters surface. Does the bow of a 15' flats boat count as "at the waters surface"?
    Call FWC main office , they will give you a # to your regional office. Have a note pad ready . Get the employees name and ID # . Bring your notes with you. I have had to do that before , just to make sure that I was legal on a trip. The regs can be very confusing , and can change over night .

Keep us posted if you get any answers .
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    at or below the water surface is for spear fishing with a spear gun and is done while swimming, bow and gagging is done above the surface from shore or a boat
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    at or below the water surface is for spear fishing with a spear gun and is done while swimming, bow and gagging is done above the surface from shore or a boat
    The problem with what you say is bow fishing and gigging are both considered the same as spear fishing at least in the way the eregulation reads.
    No they are defined in different manners, Spearing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish by bowhunting, gigging, spearfishing, or any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. Spearfishing also has its own definition and is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person at or below the surface of the water. Meaning that if you are snorkeling or scuba diving with a speargun, Hawaiian sling or pole spear you are spearfishing, if you are in a boat or on land with a bow or gig you are spearing. Spearfishing is not allowed in fresh water or to have a speargun in the boat while on fresh water. Spearing with a bow or gig is allowed in fresh water and saltwater.

Here is the list of what you are not allowed to spearfish.

•Billfish (all species) • Spotted eagle ray • Sturgeon • Manta ray • Sharks • Bonefish • Tarpon • Goliath grouper • Snook • Blue crab • Nassau grouper • Spotted seatrout • Red drum • Weakfish • Stone crab • Florida pompano • African pompano • Permit • Tripletail • Lobster• Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean

So to answer your question you are allowed to bow fish in saltwater, but red drum (redfish) are on the list that are not allowed to spearfish
    If you read the eregulations posted by BD27 above they don't make the distinction.
    I prefer to hook and line fish so my fishing partner will have to shoot his bow from someone else's bow.
    Thanks for all of the comments.
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    No they are defined in different manners, Spearing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish by bowhunting, gigging, spearfishing, or any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. Spearfishing also has its own definition and is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person at or below the surface of the water. Meaning that if you are snorkeling or scuba diving with a speargun, Hawaiian sling or pole spear you are spearfishing, if you are in a boat or on land with a bow or gig you are spearing. Spearfishing is not allowed in fresh water or to have a speargun in the boat while on fresh water. Spearing with a bow or gig is allowed in fresh water and saltwater.

Here is the list of what you are not allowed to spearfish.

•Billfish (all species) • Spotted eagle ray • Sturgeon • Manta ray • Sharks • Bonefish • Tarpon • Goliath grouper • Snook • Blue crab • Nassau grouper • Spotted seatrout • Red drum • Weakfish • Stone crab • Florida pompano • African pompano • Permit • Tripletail • Lobster• Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean

So to answer your question you are allowed to bow fish in saltwater, but red drum (redfish) are on the list that are not allowed to spearfish
    knotbob wrote: »
    If you read the eregulations posted by BD27 above they don't make the distinction.
    I prefer to hook and line fish so my fishing partner will have to shoot his bow from someone else's bow.
    Thanks for all of the comments.

This is the regs that BD27 posted a link to that I copied and pasted
    Spearing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish by bowhunting, gigging, spearfishing, or any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body.” Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook-and-line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking). Spearfishing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water.” The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers remains prohibited. The following is a list of species which are prohibited for harvest by spearing. Any other species not listed which are managed by the Commission, and those not managed by the Commission are allowed to be harvested by spearing.

Hope this helps
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,604 Captain
    There is also a very obscure regulation that prohibits bow fishing in FRESH WATER in most of Dade County. Without looking it up, the reg states that at some canal in N. Dade County its illegal to bow fish south of this canal in fresh water.
    Giimoozaabi
    Thanks. The color helped separate the 2 distinctions.