Eatable Amberjack

Never been Amberjack fishing however we catch them from time to time on the reefs. Never put one in the box. So my question is, can you really eat amberjack? And up to what size do you recommend to keep. I heard the bigger the get the more likely of worms or ciguatera, like the cuda. And how do you guys cook it? Grill, smoked... Thanks for the help .

Replies

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Captain Posts: 3,677 Captain
    do whatchu want; i know of 3 people who got cigueatera from em
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • floridakeysreeladventuresfloridakeysreeladventures Greenhorn Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    I think they are great. I keep them 20lbs and under in the cold water months. Every fish is different as far as worms, color and quality of the meat. I bleed them out instantly and right into slush. I smoke most of them, but the good looking meat sometimes gets grilled on a cedar plank. Noooooo reason to keep the fish over 30lbs. Very similar is the Almaco jack, which is always excellent any size or time of year.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Admiral Destin, FlPosts: 8,146 Admiral
    We put Tony Chachere's on one side and lemon pepper on the other and then grill to perfection. Do not over cook!!!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Officer Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Also keep in mind AJ's school together with Almacos and Banded Rudderfish. The last two are great to eat. So ID them correctly and don't toss back a banded rudder.

Banded rudder:

Almaco:
  • BD27BD27 Officer Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Also keep in mind AJ's school together with Almacos and Banded Rudderfish. The last two are great to eat. So ID them correctly and don't toss back a banded rudder.

Drewvale , if you are catching them on the reef , they most likely are not greater amberjack . You might get one on the bush . The Wilkes is loaded with them . As your original question . Grill 'Em they are very similar to Cobia. The worms are contained to the tail area. As you are filleting them you can just cut off the tail when you start to see worms. And don't forget to cut out all red meat
  • frankiezfrankiez Deckhand Posts: 395 Deckhand
    I had some last night. My wife seasoned it with some german spices and it was excellent. Better than the vermillion and lane snapper we had too.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Officer Posts: 917 Officer
    Good fish to eat. Prefer the back straps. The fish has to be iced properly otherwise eat at your own risk. I prefer fresh fried or blackened. Good fish.
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Deckhand Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Noo it was an amberjack. It was a school that came up on our pilchards and hoos. Thanks for the replies
  • AMPEDAMPED Officer Posts: 619 Officer
    Find the best recipe you can, follow the directions to a T, then feed it to the dog and go out to dinner. With all of the great fish to eat down here why mess with keeping an AJ. No offense to the members who like them, just my opinion.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
    I was just curious thats all.
  • BD27BD27 Officer Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Drewvale21 wrote: »
    Noo it was an amberjack. It was a school that came up on our pilchards and hoos. Thanks for the replies

No offense ! I wasn't saying that they weren't . I was just saying uncommon on the reef . If you wanted to target them , they are a lot more common in deeper water with high relief (Wilkes)

I know any thing is possible down there , hell we saw a sailfish in 30' in front of Content once ! Good Luck and keep the reports coming
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Captain Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Drewvale....I'm not doubting your catch or fish ID, but BD27 is right....AJ's usually are associated with wrecks and such. (I mean, when I read your post, I too thought you might have caught a big yellow jack or barjack, etc.) ANYWAY, my reason for posting, is that if I were sitting on the reef and caught an AJ, I'd be looking offshore of that area NOW, for a possible wreck/rockpile that perhaps no one else knows about. JMHO.
    .......Rick
  • pinfisherpinfisher Deckhand Posts: 317 Deckhand
    When I catch one i bleed and pack in ice. At the dock I remove all blood line and dark meat vaccum pack and label Keys Cobia, All my friends beg for the keys cobia until it is all gone. Really good eating
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Captain Posts: 2,283 Captain
    pinfisher wrote: »
    When I catch one i bleed and pack in ice. At the dock I remove all blood line and dark meat vaccum pack and label Keys Cobia, All my friends beg for the keys cobia until it is all gone. Really good eating

IMO, small AJ's, yellow jacks and bar jacks are better than cobia....but that's just me. :banana
    .......Rick
    There was a huge amberjack that was going after my mackerel, he bit one and the mackerel shook free. This reef I fish on goes from 200 to 30. I know amberjacks like the wrecks but hey they are allowed to move haha. Had the same thing happen to me in Bimini. Huge Amberjacks come up and try to eat your yellowtails. Thanks again.
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Officer Posts: 1,005 Officer
    Did you mean to say "EDIBLE"?
    Auto correct got me I guess, didn't notice. Doesn't really matter in here my English professor would have been pissed though.