Needing a little help - rods - reels

SeapimpSeapimp Posts: 2 Greenhorn
Hello ive been fishing fresh and saltwater for better part of 40+ yrs but im from up north so im used to larger gear for big stripers and blues and ground fish . Im heading to the keys for six months and going to be fishing from shore for the most part and hopefully doing some inshore mostly . I have a penn battle 3000 ,5000, 6000 and looking to match some rods to them any help would be much apprieciated . Any input on the offshore angler rods from bass pro / world wide sportsmen ,or the hurricane redbone series for inshore . Again thanx and hopefully can return the favor . Pretty sure my 10' and 11' ft rods are a little big for surf fishing the keys and southern fla. not looking to go as high end as i do on my fresh water gear around $100 -$150 would be about right

Replies

• spearhead@eyelivetofi5h[email protected] Posts: 148 Officer
    This topic of a 100-150 rod and reel combo seems to be the money maker on the forums recently. The overall consensus is for the reel Penn Battle, west marine has a combo right now for 80 and you should probably get the 4000 model. As far as rods everyones welcome to their own style, but then again the forums have spoken Calico Jack seems to be the best band for your buck.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,660 Moderator
    Your 3000 Battle will do just fine. I'd put it on a 7' St Croix Triumph rod for $100, probably a med action, maybe med light or med heavy. It's your choice
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,192 AG
    the forums have spoken Calico Jack seems to be the best bang for your buck.

This...^^^^

Get the $10 off of $50 coupon for **** sporting goods and your Calico Jack is 52 bucks.... a nice 7 ft medium will go nicely with that battle 3000 and with proper line will toss nice little jigs etc...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Your 3000 Battle will do just fine. I'd put it on a 7' St Croix Triumph rod for $100, probably a med action, maybe med light or med heavy. It's your choice

Nice rod...but a good bit more money.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    Star Rods Stellar Lite and the Hurricane Redbone are my favorite 100 dollar rods
    Robpelot wrote: »
    Star Rods Stellar Lite and the Hurricane Redbone are my favorite 100 dollar rods

Both EXCELLENT rods...I would add the St Croix Premier in there too...

But at half the price..the calico jack is a tremendous value.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    Calico jack is good, I just think go the distance and get the redbone. They are awesome.

Nickelite is my favorite rod of all time, from Star, but Star is afraid to make rods over 7ft for some reason
    Robpelot wrote: »
    Calico jack is good, I just think go the distance and get the redbone. They are awesome.

Nickelite is my favorite rod of all time, from Star, but Star is afraid to make rods over 7ft for some reason

My feeling is that while the Redbone is clearly superior...It is not TWICE as good...which is about what the price difference is.

The Nickelite is a very good rod...have not seen them around in my local shops for a while though...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • SeapimpSeapimp Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanx for all the responses im leaning towrds the shimano teramar i have mostly shimano gear and have allways had good luck with them . And i can pick one of those for around $100 or little less with my vip bps discount . Still looking for some rods for the 5000 And 6000 . Any advice would be helpful . Like i said not familiar with the fish and the way you fish for them in fla / keys . Thanx again
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    I know you are leaning towards other rods but really consider a calico jack. I have a few and I think it is about as good as most rods in the 100-150 range even though I haven't tried a ton out on the water. Most of the other people on here think so too. and its about half the price of the other rods you are thinking about. Remember expensive doesn't always mean better. You might even be able to get by with the 5k on a MH one too. And who doesn't like saving money?
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
  • SymetreSymetre Posts: 142 Officer
    Seapimp wrote: »
    Thanx for all the responses im leaning towrds the shimano teramar i have mostly shimano gear and have allways had good luck with them . And i can pick one of those for around $100 or little less with my vip bps discount . Still looking for some rods for the 5000 And 6000 . Any advice would be helpful . Like i said not familiar with the fish and the way you fish for them in fla / keys . Thanx again

Not sure if you are aware, Teramar no longer has a lifetime warranty.

I use my 10ft all the time of the beach down here.

How do you plan on using the 5000/6000s?
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,043 Officer
    Seapimp wrote: »

If you like the Teramar, may I suggest Teramar (TMS F74M) is a fine rod to match w/ a 3000 size reel. For some reason that is my most widely used rod by myself and just about everyone who uses it on my boat loves it. Had mine for about 10 years now. It's a great bonefish rod, too.
    I bought a couple of St. Croix tidemasters last year and like them too, but the shimano teramar seems to get hooked up more often....there's just something about the tip on that mod/fast action. put some 15-20 lb braid on the reel.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,660 Moderator
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Nice rod...but a good bit more money.

:nono :shrug :nono $90.00 for the 7' St Croix Triumphs