1981 dolphin 16" backbay ..ANYONE know info on Older dolphins? pics included

ReplicaracksReplicaracks Posts: 11 Greenhorn
I have owned this boat for 2 years, and absolutely love it. It is the best riding 16" boat I have ever been on.It has a 2001 90 hp mercury. Ive done ALOT of looking online and can only find very little info about these old dolphins. I know mine does have a wood core, but it is SOLID as a rock. If anyone knows the history of this hull, how long it was around, and just any general info on the boat Id love to hear from you. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 319 Deckhand
    im glad to see another person with a 16 backcountry. i too agree that this boats ride is better than any boat in its size range. the guy i bought my boat from said it was a 1990 hull which would mean it is not a wood core hull but my layout is the same as yours so im not sure. the only thing i have found wrong with the boat is the lack of dry storage, and my livewell does not circulate. does yours circulate or do you have a pump. also what size trolling motor is that and how does it push your boat.
  • ReplicaracksReplicaracks Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    im glad to see another person with a 16 backcountry. i too agree that this boats ride is better than any boat in its size range. the guy i bought my boat from said it was a 1990 hull which would mean it is not a wood core hull but my layout is the same as yours so im not sure. the only thing i have found wrong with the boat is the lack of dry storage, and my livewell does not circulate. does yours circulate or do you have a pump. also what size trolling motor is that and how does it push your boat.

It's an sp80 80lb thrust 24 volt minn Kota I pilot trolling motor.And yes it pushed the boat as fast or as slow as you would ever want to go,with a trolling motor,Its actully rated for up to a 21 ft boat so its plenty,I love it! The factory small livewell is pretty much useless to me It's so small,and gravity fed below the waterline, that I ended up making it my pump access hatch .I have a wash down pump and a 800 gph livewell pump running up to a portable 25 gallon livewell/baitwell. Works much better than that factory gravity fed livewell ever thought about..I was going to add a pump to the factory livewell,but mine only holds about 7 gallons of water ,which won't keep sensitive bait alive long,so I just did away with it and installed my pumps in the bottom of the well..Could you upload some photos of your boat? I'd love to check it out..also mine has pretty much zero dry storage.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,309 Officer
    I thought that Dolphins were 100% composite since the 80s. I used to go by and talk to jack at his original factory down in Homestead. And yes that is the best riding driest 16 foot boat I have ever been in.
    Gary S wrote: »
    I thought that Dolphins were 100% composite since the 80s. I used to go by and talk to jack at his original factory down in Homestead. And yes that is the best riding driest 16 foot boat I have ever been in.

From what I have found online,looks like it was 1984 or 1985 before they went to composite..I wish mine was composite,but I am very impressed that a 32 year old boat that appears to have never had anything redone ,is still completely solid.
    yah i can try and upload pics later tonight. if you could post some pics of your livewell set up that would be great because i did a similar portable livewell but it has some draining issues. also were you able to fit both batteries for the trolling motor in your front compartment?
    here are some crappy cellphone pics i took when i bought the boat.
    Image_zps570329c5.jpg
    Image1_zps1dfb481f.jpg
    ill upload some more pics in the next couple days.. what part of florida are you in?
    im in south florida. i got the boat from a guy in miami.
    Cool i live in Tn but will be on south end of ft myers beach for a month april 20 to may 20
  • I just purchased the 84 back country, it is an amazing boat, it rides much better than boats much larger and drier I might add. The lack of storage is a problem, we have been putting in storage compartments, I guess I will see how that goes. Easy to pole (I have nothing to compare too though). It is a work in progress....but it runs like a scalded dog, with the 115 Evinrude.