Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Vencie / Mississippi Delta Experience?

Hey’all, I am headed to a convention in New Orleans in November & we’re planning to ditch it to chase reds/trout, most likely out of the Venice area but are open to any suggestions, recommendations, research websites etc anyone may have. If anyone has experience up there, guide’s etc they are willing to share it is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Damon McKnight is a stand up guy. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.superstrikecharters.com/
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • Colorado TroutbumColorado Troutbum Posts: 102 Officer
    Red Fish wrote: »
    Damon McKnight is a stand up guy. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.superstrikecharters.com/

Appreciate it Red Fish, will reach out to him
  • bayshorebayshore Forgotten CoastPosts: 312 Deckhand
    Can highly recommend Capt. Ross Montet at Cajun Fishing Adventures in Buras. It's on the way to Venice and an excellent operation.

www.cajunfishingadventures.com

I've also fished and written about Capt. Theophile Bourgeois, who is an absolute hoot and a topnotch guide. He's in Lafitte, which is about 45 minutes out of the city.

www.neworleansfishing.com
    bayshore wrote: »
    Can highly recommend Capt. Ross Montet at Cajun Fishing Adventures in Buras. It's on the way to Venice and an excellent operation.

www.cajunfishingadventures.com

I've also fished and written about Capt. Theophile Bourgeois, who is an absolute hoot and a topnotch guide. He's in Lafitte, which is about 45 minutes out of the city.

www.neworleansfishing.com

Thanks Bayshore, our wives are working out the dates/details & I will be calling to book the guide this week. Appreciate the feedback/recommendations
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,492 Officer
    If you go all the way to venice you need to go offshore, maybe catch a tuna, wahoo,or at minimum some nice big sow snapper close in.
    rent my beach house
    If you go all the way to venice you need to go offshore, maybe catch a tuna, wahoo,or at minimum some nice big sow snapper close in.
    Thanks, I saw several options for offshore but am going with a friend who's raised in NoLa, he had a camp his grandparents owned near Venice & is set on reliving red/trout childhood memories. Curious if you have any insight towards that cost; looked like offshore trips were in the $2K / day range which is double what I've paid in other places in the US and overseas, initially I thought that was to cover gas costs due to longer trips getting to tuna etc in the gulf & also noticed several were $2K + fuel & had some sticker shock.
    I'm not disparaging guides cost point - boat/maintenance/insurance/fuel/slip expenses are through the roof & assumed they are passing that on, just curious if anyone knew if distance to get to fish, or overall cost of doing business is rising, or if there were other factors I'm not thinking of?
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Thanks, I saw several options for offshore but am going with a friend who's raised in NoLa, he had a camp his grandparents owned near Venice & is set on reliving red/trout childhood memories. Curious if you have any insight towards that cost; looked like offshore trips were in the $2K / day range which is double what I've paid in other places in the US and overseas, initially I thought that was to cover gas costs due to longer trips getting to tuna etc in the gulf & also noticed several were $2K + fuel & had some sticker shock.
    I'm not disparaging guides cost point - boat/maintenance/insurance/fuel/slip expenses are through the roof & assumed they are passing that on, just curious if anyone knew if distance to get to fish, or overall cost of doing business is rising, or if there were other factors I'm not thinking of?

It's expensive and hard to swallow. But, it's a long run just to get out of the river/marsh. Then it's a good long ride to get to the rigs. Followed by rig hoping if the tunas aint showing. $2k + fuel is robbery. When I fished over there I think it was $1400 + fuel. After everything including tips we were in it about $2300. The boat leaves with a full tank and you fill it up full when you get back. If you figured $2100 for the trip at 12 hrs, that would equal about $175/hr. Not bad considering what folks pay here for our local fishery.

Going overseas and fishing will ruin you in a hearbeat. Even when gas/diesel is outrageous, the close proximity to fishing grounds makes some world class fishing very cheap/affordable.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Red Fish wrote: »
    It's expensive and hard to swallow. But, it's a long run just to get out of the river/marsh. Then it's a good long ride to get to the rigs. Followed by rig hoping if the tunas aint showing. $2k + fuel is robbery. When I fished over there I think it was $1400 + fuel. After everything including tips we were in it about $2300. The boat leaves with a full tank and you fill it up full when you get back. If you figured $2100 for the trip at 12 hrs, that would equal about $175/hr. Not bad considering what folks pay here for our local fishery.

Going overseas and fishing will ruin you in a hearbeat. Even when gas/diesel is outrageous, the close proximity to fishing grounds makes some world class fishing very cheap/affordable.

Thanks Red Fish, it all makes sense. Reminded me, I paid $800+ tip in Kauai, several years ago so its most likely over $1K now but they had me into sailfish a couple hundred yards from the marina & I doubt we were out of sight off it all day.