family vacation January / February in the keys? yes or no or wait?

I've only been to the keys during the summer for fishing trips with my friends. I want to take the family on vacation and am wondering if I should wait until the summer or take them after Xmas.

Too cold to swim, fish, snorkle?

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    If you go all the way to Key West and you are from Nebraska you might be able to snorkel in January/February in the Keys. In the North Key Largo area I have snorkled in January and it is a bit cold and wetsuit weather for me.

Fishing can be great if the wind is ok. You are more likely to find calmer winds in the summer and the snorkeling is more enjoyable.

I enjoy walking around Key West and the walking is more fun in the winter. Prices tend to be a bit higher in the winter in Key West especially.

If you would consider Barbados, that is very warm swimming in Jan/Feb.
  • pergatronpergatron Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Depends on your luck, really. If the winds lay down and the sun is out, weather can be perfect for beach time or fishing. On the other hand, if a cold front comes through and the wind is a-blowin, both fishing or beach-sitting can be difficult.

If you're looking for a quick winter getaway, go for it. If you want something more reliable, try somewhere else or wait for the summer weather pattern.

You can't argue with mother nature.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,663 Captain
    FISHING IS EPIC THAT TIME OF YEAR!!! WEATHER IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    If your a Yankee from the great white North you will love it. I hear them say when they first arrive and jump into the canal this is paradise. and I am thinking to my self they are crazy I would never go swimming in that cold a$$ water. Notice I'm the guy taking the picture from the boat. so if your from South Florida and are wanting to snorkel or just beach it wait until it warms up but if your down to fish and sight see, dine, ride bikes, come on down it don't get no better.:driver:

This is a picture with my niece her husband and My nephew and their MOM on the sand bar in Islamorada Christmas Day about 4 years ago. oh yah and their Dog Dixie
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\