Peacock Bass - where can I catch these in the Keys

Hi Guys,
In Jan during my trip to Florida Keys my friend and I would like the chance to catch Peacock Bass and Snakehead.

We are staying Mid Keys, but will have a car for the duration of our trip and hopefully a small boat during the last 5 days there.

I have been reading much about these fish and the lures used to catch them, but would like to know the best or easiest location where we might try our hand at catching them in relation to Ramrod Key.

Are these species targeted much by you guys as a non-native invasive species and what are the rules and regulations on catching them?
Do they have to be removed and killed like Lion Fish?
I understand Snakehead are very destructive to native species.

Appreciate your replies as usual.
Catch and release some fish
There are anglers tomorrow who want to catch too
Just because there is a upper limit, doesn't mean you keep it all.

Replies

• BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    You would have to go to the main land to fish fresh water . There isn't much fresh water in the Keys .
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,297 Captain
    If you are flying in or out of Miami International Airport, there are a lot of man made lakes near the airport that hold Peacocks. Perhaps someone on this forum that specializes in fishing for them can help "guide" you in the right direction. As mentioned above, the Keys offer only Salt water fishing with a few small exceptions.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Yeah, I was trying to think of a place other than Big Pine Key, where fresh water even existed in the Keys. For fresh water fishing, it is very possible to run from Islamorada and points north, to the Everglades and if you go far enough in, you have fresh water and some bass fishing. But no peacocks there......yet.

Personally, I'd love to see peacocks introduced into the Everglades. Maybe in that area, they would attain sizes of 20+ lbs., like they do in South America.
    .......Rick
  • KenyakevinKenyakevin Posts: 165 Officer
    Ahhh,
    Having never been to the Keys I did not realise that freshwater areas were not really available.
    But was aware sea fishing sounds amazing there.
    I will look at Miami for possibly a morning on our return to the airport there.
    Much thanks for the info.
    Catch and release some fish
    There are anglers tomorrow who want to catch too
    Just because there is a upper limit, doesn't mean you keep it all.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,411 Captain
    nowhere
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captrvcaptrv Posts: 146 Officer
    http://myfwc.com/media/1521504/Freshwater_C111_Aerojet_Canal.pdf

On the way into the keys. First bridge once you get on the 18mile stretch. This is closest place to the Keys that you can catch them.
  • Capt Jeff PCapt Jeff P Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    In the Keys..nowhere. Go up into Homestead, Miami, or Ft Lauderdale canals and you can find them. Good luck.
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 322 Deckhand
    Nowhere in the keys. Can't fish in Freshwater in BPK And there's no
    Peacocks in there anyways. Miami is filled With them
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    captrv wrote: »
    http://myfwc.com/media/1521504/Freshwater_C111_Aerojet_Canal.pdf

On the way into the keys. First bridge once you get on the 18mile stretch. This is closest place to the Keys that you can catch them.

Capt rv hit it. Neat little area. P4142183Small_zpsfc8c2b0f.jpg
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.