Vortex Optics

Looking for a scope on a pretty tight budget for my Ruger American. Debating between vortex crossfire II, diamondback, and Leupold lower end scopes. Looked through vortex and leupold and really could not tell the difference in clarity, price was close, but could save decent cash going with the Vortex. Just never heard of them. The nikon that was priced the same was no where near in clarity to these other 2 brands. Anyone have any experience with Vortex?

Replies

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I have Vortex glass in binos (Viper HD) and rifle scopes (Diamondback and Viper HD).

I love the BDC reticle on my Viper scope. The scope is super clear and sharp, and it holds MOA as good as any scope out there.
    Make sure you get quality mounts (Leupold or Dean Nutz) for it.
    I have nothing but great things to say about their quality and customer service.
    Vortex is definitely one of, if not the best value going right now on glass.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    I have diamondback binos. They're nice. Comparable to Nikon monarch (if memory serves correctly), but less money, made.in.US and lifetime warranty. Hard to beat that.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,521 Captain
    Redfield...it's made in America. Vortex is Chinese...that should speak volumes.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I have a 2-7x32 Vortex Viper - wish I had 2 or 3. I also have a Leupold VX-II. Never did anything with Nikon. Do have Bushnell and Redfield scopes and they work okay.

I used to think the VX-II was all I'd ever want as it is a nice scope - it is a nice scope. Then I got the Viper and what a difference! It is brighter and clearer - I can see more details with the Viper, then I look thru the VX-II and it seems like I'm looking thru an oil sheen.

Vortex makes a nice scope, the catch is most scopes in a given price range will behave similarly.

YES - I agree on the buy US made stuff but I'm pretty sure that Redfields are just assembled in America. Buy a high-end Leupy or Vortex if you need US made. Most lenses are made in the Philippines if I remember right.
  • fisherking73fisherking73 Posts: 209 Officer
    Their site says 100% made in the USA so not sure where the China comment is coming from. Plus that life time warranty no questions asked.........hard to beat. Thanks for the input fellas, think the decisions has been made.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,521 Captain
    Their site says 100% made in the USA so not sure where the China comment is coming from. Plus that life time warranty no questions asked.........hard to beat. Thanks for the input fellas, think the decisions has been made.

Google: "Vortex Optics China", honestly doesn't matter to me what you buy. The vast majority of the low end optics are probably made in China or the Phillipines anyway, I know Redfield claims to be made in the US, why I suggested it, but I don't own any of it.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator

that's what I thought. Fisher King may be right though. I don't know... I never googled vortex China. I've also never bothered to Google Bigfoot skunk ape or aliens built the pyramids.

that being said they could be built in China. my binoculars are **** fine I know that much. and I save some money in the process... Money that could be spent on seed and other domestically produced items. oh, & I also helped employee the hundreds of thousands of Americans employed by the import industry. simply called the proper allocation of money. if you want to pay top dollar for one particular American good simply because it is made in America and you can sleep well at night then be my guest.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • fisherking73fisherking73 Posts: 209 Officer
    Interesting path this thread has taken me and thanks, learned a bit. Seems like some of the higher end Vortex are made in US, lower ends in Phillipines, Japan, and some in China. But they have it that those counrties only make certain models etc.... Interesting. BUT in the end, all the reviews I can find online regarding Vortex seem to be positive and all agree they are a great value for the money. Will look into Redfield reviews and see what is being said about them.
  • BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,701 Captain
    Redfield has great reviews. Their lower end are Phillipine made I believe, but they're owned by Leupold and come with a great warranty.
  • CatchDogCatchDog Posts: 308 Officer
    Love my vortex, wont find a better warranty.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    Like any company with multiple lines, Vortex makes some great scopes and some that are so-so. All are great values for the money.

I'll echo the statement on the (now discontinued) 2-7x32; I have one on a Marlin .45-70 and it's my favorite pig gun. In my opinion (and most of the guys on the SWFA forum as well), the Viper outdoes the Leupold VX-3 line optically. Customer service is unmatched and they are made in the states.

Not too familiar with the Diamondback or Crossfire.

They also offer a 30% off military discount.

I had never heard of them either but did some research on SWFA and the Vortex scopes (from Viper on up) are held in very high regard. I am shooting Horndy FTX 325gr through my .45-70 at about 2250fps, so recoil is no slouch and my Vortex has always held zero.