suzuki = junk.. Check yours if you got one.

CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
last year I had a plug flattened on the way back from 100 miles out . had some suggestions on a forum about throttle plate screws but they were fine so I went with guess 2 of detonation and I put lower props on to ease the load. Then the other motor did the same.
closedplug.jpg

I've had some reduce performance for a while so started tearing down to the oil control valves and found this on the port motor.

20140912_181434.jpg
20140912_181445.jpg

20140912_181851.jpg

Ok, now where to find screws.. They are apparently about 3.4MM non standard so I head to the suzuki place. Luckily a mechanic was sniffying around when I was trying to explain the issue to the parts guys.. They screws do not appear on the parts list and this whole section is under throttle body, not intake manifold. Mechanic new the issue said usually it destroys the motor and he gave me 6 screws and explained they are held in by using a punch from the factory but that's not enough and to epoxy them in even vs thread lock. Well 5 of the 6 plates were loose.
I put that motor back together and venture to guess that the other had the issue. Sure enough.. missing a plate (they get stuck in those horns) and another missing a screw and all are lose.

20140913_124651.jpg

20140913_144631.jpg

20140913_165653.jpg

20140913_165741.jpg

20140913_165744.jpg

th_20140913_165702.mp4

It takes about 5 minutes under the cowl to get to where you can check the plates. A little more to get the rest off if you want to repunch the back.

I've had some reduce performance for a while so started tearing down to the oil control valves and found this on the port motor.

Ok, now where to find screws.. They are apparently about 3.4MM non standard so I head to the suzuki place. Luckily a mechanic was sniffying around when I was trying to explain the issue to the parts guys.. They screws do not appear on the parts list and this whole section is under throttle body, not intake manifold. Mechanic new the issue said usually it destroys the motor and he gave me 6 screws and explained they are held in by using a punch from the factory but that's not enough and to epoxy them in even vs thread lock. Well 5 of the 6 plates were loose.
I put that motor back together and venture to guess that the other had the issue. Sure enough.. missing a plate (they get stuck in those horns) and another missing a screw and all are lose.

It takes about 5 minutes under the cowl to get to where you can check the plates. A little more to get the rest off if you want to repunch the back.
I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
"“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "

Replies

• boscoeboscoe Posts: 79 Deckhand
    I would image the screws helped to shot **** the tops of your pistons and all inside the combustion chamber.

You apparently are lucky if all that happened in a plug electrode got bent.

Are you going to post this on the untruthful website?
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    did...
    I put the camera in the cylinder in the first motor when I found the plug issue last year and other than some carbon it was clear.. no screws, not carbon nothing. Got lucky.. apparently 3x.
    Before putting the starboard together I'll scope the cylinder that is missing the screw but not plate. I'll compression test 'em too again to make sure there valves are sealing.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Could you tell me what year and type of Suzuki engined you have ?
    Giimoozaabi
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    WOW this is not a good situation how many hours on the motors what HP are they?
    Thanks for the update.
    larrywitt
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 439 Deckhand
    Dang I thought those were really good motors. I was thinking of buying one when my kicked the bucket. No so sure now
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)
    THey are '04s with about 8-900hrs but this happened over a year ago.. Heck one was 2yrs ago which would have been a few hundred hours. As you can see the motors are very clean. I've been trying to track down the performance losses and was pulling it apart to get to the oil control valves that adjust the cam timing. Clearly one cylinder on each motor was not getting air.
    Someone somewhere else said they released a newly designed shaft but who knows.

If I had a new one I'd still insist that the dealer check these screws every service if I used a dealer.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Wow, I hadn't seen that before.
    Tater you mentioned trying to track down a performance problem.
    I was running a boat with 250's and every so often on engine would lose rpm, then it comes right back, kinda of like a hiccup for a second and then runs fine. I was trying to track it down thinking it was a fuel system problem. Did yours exhibit anything like I described, because now you have me thinking?

MSD
    Formerly Catmandew
    yep.. that's what it did. I think the screw in the cylinder was making a hot spot then finally crushed the plug. Coming back 100 miles with a cylinder tripping is not good. It's throwing gas away if nothing else.
    I have the computer and software and it kept throwing errors for all sorts of stuff including the oil control valve which is what I was trying to get to. You have to take the intake off to get them off and this is what I found.
    I seafoamed the crap out of it.. tried filters and everything else around fuel.

If you want to borrow the software and cable to check other stuff let me know.. Common things I've found on this motor are fuel pressure regulator, Idle air control valve, TPS and this. This one obviously be the worst that can cause catastrophic failure.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,659 Admiral
    Holy smokes, you are lucky!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    interesting problem...
    I have never had any problem with my zukes nor anybody I know except one...
    the one that went away was a 250 that sucked a valve and destroyed the cylinder wall...

I have had so much good luck with my zukes I will continue to use them until something happens that really shouldn't...
    like a dropped valve....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,793 Admin
    Wow. Who would have thunk?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Do a leak down test. You'll know if a valve is bent after passing the screw.
    Signature
    yep.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,860 Captain
    Didn't you also have 300HPDI Yamahas on a prior boat?
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Actually, Tater usually has an informed opinion based on years of hands on practical experience.
    How many posters have the software and data cables to read their own error codes?
    He also posted numerous photos, showing what he found when investigating one of the error codes.
    He also has lent other members some of the things he's put together to address issues, a fuel filter with pump comes to mind.
    He also offered the computer and cable for me to run the codes on the motors I'm working with.
    Just something to keep in mind, when casting such a wide net about venters.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
    TGunn wrote: »
    Didn't you also have 300HPDI Yamahas on a prior boat?
    Not sure about "also" since these are Suzuki but Yep.. ran great. Only had a switch fail, spark plug boot and a lower unit.
    I also had yamaha 200s. I also had Optimaxes. I also had johnsons. I also an an OMC inboard.
    Pioneer180 wrote: »
    All OBs are junk when they are yours and fail. But now we can vent to big crowds all over the net :crowd

If you are too freakin' stupid to check yours then that's your business. If you don't have them it's none of your business.

Did you buy a boat yet?
    FS Dan wrote: »
    Actually, Tater usually has an informed opinion based on years of hands on practical experience.
    How many posters have the software and data cables to read their own error codes?
    He also posted numerous photos, showing what he found when investigating one of the error codes.
    He also has lent other members some of the things he's put together to address issues, a fuel filter with pump comes to mind.
    He also offered the computer and cable for me to run the codes on the motors I'm working with.
    Just something to keep in mind, when casting such a wide net about venters.

FSD

they are just ignorant trolls behind a screen. Same old crew
  • Gator KStenzGator KStenz Posts: 240 Deckhand
    I had 1800 hrs on my Zukes when I sold my boat. Tgunn makes a point. They're hard to break. Maybe I was just a better mariner than the Tate.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Lotta unnecessary hate and negative BS here.
    Tater took the time to take pics and post some good info, thanks tater.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Its an opinion, and everyone has one. Take it for what its worth. It could be a valid issue if it happens on multiple motors. Whether that is the case or not, I do not know, but complaining back and forth on what could be a useful post is just plain ridiculous and gets no one nowhere.

Dad has twin 175 zukes, and they have been bulletproof for nearly 800hrs. Does that mean this couldn't happen, I have no idea. I have an 87 40hp zuke that works great thus far (bought only a few months back) but do not expect too much out of it as its nearly 30 years old.

Someone above said the best thing they could've, ALL motors will fail or have an issue at some point regardless of what the outer label says. Keep it up, run it till it dies, when it does get another one. My personal opinion is that I've come to the conclusion all the major manufacturers make a good product, and most if not all will have a small design flaw at some point or another that may take several years to show. Its pretty much a given trait of an outboard to have a failure of something at the most inappropriate time.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,659 Admiral
    I agree, but looks kind of odd for the same thing to be happening on 2 motors, sort of a Friday at 5:00pm get it done and out the door job. Could be a fluke, I have a buddy that just repowered his Hydrosport from a FIST? Evinrude motor to a new Yamaha 150 4s, with only about 50 hours on the thing he noticed a pool of oil under the lower unit, turns out one of the piston rings failed and scoured the cylinder walls bad, the motor was a loss and he got a new power head. It happens. The Evinrude always worked but he was afraid of it, go figure.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers