Home General Freshwater Fishing

ponds along turnpike

A couple of the exits along the turnpike has some good looking ponds on them..whats the legal status on fishing them..i dont see a no fishing sign but with todays legal system i dnt want to get jail time for trespassing on private prop

Replies

• nymetsfan8131nymetsfan8131 Posts: 96 Deckhand
    That is a great question... I just drove to Orlando this past weekend and every exit had like 4 really nice looking ponds. I couldn't help but wonder if any bass called them home. If i had my way I would have made my 2 hour drive a 10 hour trip, stopping at each to find out. Anyone ever fish those ponds and have luck... and more importantly is it legal? Good question roachbuster.
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    I fish some canal/drainage areas south of West Palm along the turnpike and I've had a blast. I've never been told to not fish there, however finding a place to park is a bit tough. This one is one such fish.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,176 Moderator
    Not posted then legal I say.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    My son and I started doing what we call "I-95 Fishing" some years ago. As he grew up and started driving himself he and his friends started doing it once in a while during the summer. Never a legal trouble but I have been asked on several occasions by cops if we ever catch anything. There are some REALLY OLD exits in Florida and some of them are in excess of 30' deep. There are MONSTERS in some of them. Access can be tough and Snake boots/chaps are not a terrible idea as specially while this water is so High.

We have talked lots of times about an I-95 Fishing Tournament "Top-to-Bottom-95" and the Annual "I-95 vs. I-75 Tournament"
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    I fished them a lot a few years ago and had good luck. I was never hassled. Be careful out there as some folks are really flying down the highway. Sometimes way above the speed limit..
  • Pat OPat O Posts: 79 Deckhand
    I asked an officer once and told me as long as there's no fence and it's not posted then it's fair game. I keep a travel rod and reel in my truck at all times just in case.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 671 Officer
    I never knew you could fish them
  • platinumhorseplatinumhorse Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Just for the record, we were fishing the turnpike and were told that because it is a closed road( fenced and toll) that we could not fish there. Along with that if you even run out of gas your not allowed to even walk to get it. So, 95 is still in play and we hammer the ponds on a regular basics but no turnpike.
  • FS EastFS East Posts: 180 Officer
    I wrote an article about this years back in FS (Blacktop Bassin) All of the places we stopped to fish had bass ready to play... I interviewed an FHP officer and he said as long as you are on the back side of the barricades and in a position where they know you're not a roll over, they could care less if you fish the canals. You can't leave your truck on the shoulder of the road or be a hazard to traffic flow.
    My favorite spot: North bound Turnpike, 7 miles before the Fort Drum Service Plaza. There's a break in the barricade on the East side of the road that's actually an entrance to a grove. Pull off of the TP and onto the grass, don't block the grove entrance. Bring a canoe/kayak and walk South about 50 yards to launch in the canal. Fish South. Bring LOTS of plastic worms. We went through so many I thought the bass were getting a commission from Bass Pro Shops.....
    Have fun, be safe.
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    FS east how far is that from Stuart?
  • FS EastFS East Posts: 180 Officer
    It's about an hour depending on how heavy your left foot is. The easy way to find the entrance is to look on the West side of the TP after you pass Ft. Pierce. You will see a line or very large power lines running parallel to the highway. When these power lines cross over the TP and head East, that's the South end of the canal. Continue about a mile North and look for the break in the guard rail. You will see the grove entrance.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    ER Doc 7 wrote: »
    I fish some canal/drainage areas south of West Palm along the turnpike and I've had a blast. I've never been told to not fish there, however finding a place to park is a bit tough. This one is one such fish.

Hey ER, you caught that in WPB? I didn't think they had made it above 595 since they all got wiped out in 2010. Kind of looks like a different kind of peacock than the Miami P's.
  • Harold RayHarold Ray Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I've never been told to not fish there, however finding a place to park is a bit tough.

I fly in from Texas occasionally and have wondered about fishing those ponds; they really look great to me. I thought they probably had some nice fish in them. When there, I travel between Orlando and Port Canaveral; that isn't a toll road I don't believe; has anyone ever fished those? I would love to make a trip down there just to fish those for a few days.

Ray
  • Bass Hunter 85Bass Hunter 85 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I drive on the Turnpike and I-75 multiple times throughout the week and have always wondered the same thing. The bigger question is how big can a fish get in some of the smaller ponds? Anyone else have pics of ones they've caught right off these highways??? However, I don't care too much for the loud noise of cars buzzing by at 80 mph! mostly I fish to get away from that! lol
    A bad day of fishing is still a good day.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,176 Moderator
    Any pond over 5 acres or canal can hold bass up to 8-10lbs in Florida if it don't go dry.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Bass Hunter 85Bass Hunter 85 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Excellent. Thanks Louie.
    A bad day of fishing is still a good day.