Home General Hunting

rut Lake/seminole/orange county

Just wondering what time of year most of the guys that hunt these counties see the most rut activity. Its kinda close to where all the counties meet but in lake county. Just trying to figure out the best chance I will have at a couple night time bucks I have in these areas. Trying not to booger them up until the time is right so I have my best shot. Thanks to all for your info.

Replies

• publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    I typically see it peak between the last 2 weeks in October to the first two in November. Some places like Rock Springs WMA seemed to be earlier but I'm not sure. I didn't hunt it but for a few seasons. Everywhere else I've hunted it peaked sometime in the time frame I mentioned. I'd be sitting as much as I could the week before the next two full moons.
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    If u aren't sitting in October... You've lost your mind. Mid to late October in this area can be on fire...in fact...this cool weather we are about to get is gonna get them cruising hard. Already in the last two weeks I've witnessed bucks grunting, and chasing! Get in the woods...the area you describe is exactly where I've been...
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    I'm in NE Osceola and we have had chasing the last couple weeks and the first Buck taken on our lease came to a grunt call two weeks ago. As of this past weekend they seem to be locked down with the Does on our place. No buck movement sat, sun & mon. I took a Doe spot and stalk Monday am for this years meat. I think once they get off the Doe lock down we should start seeing them again the first few weeks of October with the first fronts?
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    I live off Markham Woods in Seminole county and I swear the rut is Middle September.

That is when I see the big bucks during the daytime around the neighborhood.
    mattb78 wrote: »
    I live off Markham Woods in Seminole county and I swear the rut is Middle September.

That is when I see the big bucks during the daytime around the neighborhood.

I've lived on the south side of the Wekiva river basin my whole life and I think you're right, which is what I was getting at in my comments on Rock springs. I hunted archery there for 3 or 4 years and by opening weekend, there were fresh rubs everywhere and I didn't really notice a whole lot of fresh sign through the remainder of archery season. Also, in my observations from driving the park boundary and driving, biking and walking in the state park, bachelor groups are together through the first week in September then they break up.

I have also noticed a pretty intense spark during the early part of January most years in the way of fresh rubs showing up along the boundaries I drive every day, on a lot of the same trees year after year and also in terms of the number of mature bucks I see along those boundaries at night during that period. I think the reason is because there are a handful of does that were never bred that come into estrous and it gets the dominate bucks active again competing for the few remaining that are receptive.

However, 20 miles to the north in the southern end of the ONF where I spend most of my time, the peak of the rut is definitely later. Without question, every year for the last 12 years the peak happened sometime between the end of archery season and the first week of gun, which can suck if it's early because we're locked out for those three weeks. It's usually getting pretty heated during the last few days of archery which for that WMA is the 3rd weekend in October, but I've seen it out of control during the first week of gun as well, although the last 4-5 years it's seemed to happen during the closed 3 weeks.
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    I have also noticed a pretty intense spark during the early part of January most years in the way of fresh rubs showing up along the boundaries I drive every day, on a lot of the same trees year after year and also in terms of the number of mature bucks I see along those boundaries at night during that period. I think the reason is because there are a handful of does that were never bred that come into estrous and it gets the dominate bucks active again competing for the few remaining that are receptive.

I bet if you check to see the size of the does being chased in January in that area, you will find that they aren't adult does that the bucks missed earlier in the fall, but that they are fawns coming into their first estrous. Around the 1st of January, they should be about 9 months old and, if they are healthy enough, they will cycle for their first time. Happens in a lot of areas where the main rut peaks in september.
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    Walker you make an excellent point. I planted a tree in my front yard last year. Deer left it alone until January and it got completely thrashed one night. I don't mean a small rub, but an "I am the boss" rub. It puzzled me why it got left alone and then thrashed in January.

Maybe one of those bucks got fired up from a younger doe.
    Walker Dog wrote: »
    I bet if you check to see the size of the does being chased in January in that area, you will find that they aren't adult does that the bucks missed earlier in the fall, but that they are fawns coming into their first estrous. Around the 1st of January, they should be about 9 months old and, if they are healthy enough, they will cycle for their first time. Happens in a lot of areas where the main rut peaks in september.

I reckon that could be the case. I really haven't paid much attention to any does I've seen during this time frame as I'm rarely hunting deer that late in the season. My observation comes strictly from the fresh buck sign I see while driving from the county road, or running or riding my bike in the state park and the mature bucks I see along the fence lines at night. If there have been does with them they haven't commanded my attention obviously.
  • outdoorfrenzyoutdoorfrenzy Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    I hunt the south west corner of Orange County and I don't see a buck till January. Usually kill a big one every year late January. Same thing in northern Polk county. They chase hard end of jan-feb. We have kill some very nice fl bucks that time of yr