Quick shakedown offshore report

Did a quick shakedown of a boat I'll be running from time to time this morning. Just wanted to get offshore and put a little usage on her. The conditions were about the same as last Friday's trip. Breezy out of the Southeast, tide running into the wind, slow morning bite. Fishing was not the priority on this trip, just needed to make sure everything was working properly. Got about a dozen or so mangs, a couple lanes and a keeper grouper while not really fishing past 40 feet.

What I did notice today, as well as Friday, is west of Sanibel there is a lot of bait starting to show up. The blue runners I've been looking for all summer are back. There are several pods of sardines off Sanibel in 20-40 feet of water. And there are an insane number of frigate birds working the surface.

No exaggeration, I must have seen 60 today. Several packs of 6-8 birds diving on activity at the surface. This is the most activity I've seen off the coast here on the surface in recent months.

Water quality off Knapps Point was terrible. Large veins of coffee colored water mixed into the lime green water. Once south of the lighthouse, the water was a dark brown color.

Our first cold fronts are just a few weeks away, water temps are already starting to cool off. It will be transition time very soon. I know I'm ready to turn off the A/C and open the windows.

Replies

• dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    I second that one Capt....waiting to get some cooler air and sleep with the windows hanging open. Nothing better than that cool chill as you jump on plane first thing in the morning.
  • Angler22Angler22 Posts: 85 Deckhand
    Saw a few frigates on Monday further south of you. The BRs were plentiful but with the wind we didn't notice bait on the surface. Did hear about a lot of activity just west of Naples on Sunday a mile or two out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    October is my favorite month
    Capt Bill