Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

chockoloskee 9/27

Started the day at 8:30am when we finally found the island park marina boat ramp (GPS reset itself just as we were pulling in). Had an outgoing tide and a guy at the ramp told us to paddle around the first island that we could see and fish the coves. My son and I had an assortment of jigs and topwater lures that we were trying. We fished and had a few hits and we followed the outgoing tide and fished along with it - no paddling required. We arrived at about two islands short of the gulf. I hooked into some ladyfish but didn't get them to canoe. The fish were on the small size and were just grabbing the jigs and not hooking themselves. We fished a sandbar and waited for the tide to change - again some hits but no catches. On the way back in I hooked into a catfish on a jig meant for seatrout - I could not believe it - catfish on a jig. We used the incoming tide to our advantage and arrived back at the dock around 12:30. The wind starting picking up and some rain showers in the area so we decided to call it a day. While we were eating lunch at the island café when the rain really started coming down and the wind was blowing around 30mph - felt sorry for the other paddlers that were out there. It was a fun trip for the both of us since it was our first time there and can't wait to get back and try it again. Thanks to all the forum members for their advise prior to us heading over there it helped a lot. No fish in the cooler but my son and I had a great time.

Replies