Overturned boat off Sanibel

Anyone have any info? Overturned boat about 5 miles off Knapps point, multiple people on board including children. Thankfully no lives lost or serious injuries, just curious as to the cause.

Replies

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    News report says motor died then boat flipped. Coast guard rescue footage is online. Scary to see those kids floating out there. Not sure how a boat can capsize like that????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    I don't understand how that could have happened?? your engine cuts off, so you drift for four miles and capsize in what seems to be flat seas????
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • Down_TimeDown_Time Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I agree Baja, had to be more to it. Capsizing a 32' just from the seas just doesn't seem right, must have been water coming in somewhere
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    Yeah those were maybe 2-3's at best. No way that boat capsized without some kind of help.
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    It's a 30 ft boat.crazy
    Hobie outback
  • Jason117Jason117 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    The only thing that can happen on a boat like this is the engine compartment got flooded. Usually it's an exhaust hose that falls off. Water comes in faster than the bilge pumps can keep up. Most boats don't have dedicated high water alarms. The engine ingested the water causing the stalling. In 3 foot seas, on a boat that size. The boat had to have been half sunk before she rolled and capsized.
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Thankfully, all are safe...scary to see those kids in the water. I saw a Coast Guard boat going flying out of Matanzas Pass that morning- now I know why.
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    has to be some sort of help from someone who should not have been on the boat. No reason it should have gone that far.
  • BeastieBeastie Bokeelia, FLPosts: 864 Officer
    Need to know exactly what happened!
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Beastie wrote: »
    Need to know exactly what happened!

I agree fully. A boat can certainly capsize if it gets hit broadside by a big wave. However, in a 32 foot boat you would think it would take an 8 or 10 foot wave to flip the boat.

I would guess that most boats get capsized through driving errors, at least larger boats in seas like that. Since his engines were dead, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I would really like to know what happened, just for educational purposes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    Why wouldn't they toss an anchor over, let out a lot of rode and call sea tow?
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    If an I/O or inboard (can't make it out)I would say mechanical, related to hoses, raw water intake, etc. A hull full of water like that is a lot of weight sloshin around, especially if you don't know it.
    Capt Bill
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    cpr wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they toss an anchor over, let out a lot of rode and call sea tow?

Thinking that way may be what cost them their boat. I think too many people think having sea tow means they don't have to worry about knowing what to do when their boat has a problem. Calling sea tow won't stop a sinking boat....
  • locoloco Posts: 1,294 Officer
    Once you get some free surface movement happening on the deck or below, its just a matter of time. Glad everyone was ok.
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Just a thought...this IMHO was what I thought it was...BUT even guys with outboards can be subject to water intrusion...how many have though hull transeduser or pick ups for live well and wash down. Not a bad idea to check the inside lock down nut and see if it's tight or gasket wear, also carry some wooden cone type wedges and a mallet just in case you lose one... you don't see them on recreational boats but high bilge water alarms are the extreme...this would pertain mostly to offshore guys for these suggestions...This person was very lucky considering he was couple miles off..old saying I go by ARRIVE ALIVE!
    Capt Bill
  • bubbanorbubbanor Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Nashville tn. tv states mechanical problem. Probably hose or through hull.