Marathon 9/20----?

Arrived at Knights Key fri eve 9/19 about 9:00 P.M. Had reservations starting 9/20 they were kind enough to let us pull in a pull thru about 9:00 P.M. to avoid launching boat after dark and setting uo in the rain. Thanks Knights Key!!
Launched boat Sat A.M. not early to discover a nut missing off my steering Ram. KNEW it had to be in the motor well, its a small motor well, nope not there. Went looking with motor home for nut, you'd think I was asking for the moon but finally found ione at Home Depot. Not stainless but at this point I wasn't concerned!!
Get set up finally and took a day of rest. O'k now the report!! If you want to call it that. Get up Sun. iPAD shows rain big time coming in from the east headed this way. We decide to wait and see what it does. As usual I let the weather man talk me out of going, no rain.... Head out about 8:30 to Marathon Hump. Not a lot going on, one boat was chumming and there was a school BF behind his boat, of coarse everyone else trying to crowd in on him, we troll past, 300-400 yards away a couple times, change rigging from tuna feathers to more of a Dolphin spread. Troll all the way out to 1200-13-- ft (which isn't all that far from the Hump. Found 2-3 or more BIG weed lines. Troll them for over an hr, maybe two. Only hit was a small Black Fin, thats it!! By now it's past 1:00 and in we come. Get to camp site 2:30 or so, enough for this old man. Going to try just beyond the reef today on a bottom drift for a while. Maybe They say rougher seas tomorrow so probably try the gulf side! Hope to have a better report later!!

Replies

• Acooper10Acooper10 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Arriving this weekend, keep me posted! Good luck!
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,766 Captain
    Another let down. Love the keys, at least for fishing. Not sure really how much else there is to do but hey we come for fishing and relaxation, and thats something you better love down here. Been coming down 8 yrs running and basically been blown out or rained out 4 or 5 yrs. not sure which, i try to forget! LOL but one thing i am determined of, this is the last time. Hate complaining, we been here in March, june, july this yr Aug, and Oct. Same thing regardless of when. Like I say 4 out of 5 times blown or washed out.
    Got out Sun, weather was good, went out to 1350 ft, Huge weed lines, nothing doing. Got one small black fin, but hey, thats fishing. mon., tues, woke up to a monsoon except with wind and lightening along with the rain. Wed a.m. Early rain, stopped st daylight but windy and way to rough for offshore so took a charter out on the reef. 10 people, maybe 7-8 snapper just " barely" keepers! 4 hrs. Mangos and yellowtail. Today thurs a.m. Can't sleep, about 4 a.m. But am sure it will either rain or blow by daylight. Again sorry to be so begative but enough is enough! Going home, try fishin at home, mosquito lagoon area. LOL
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Note to self : Do not schedual vacation with tunaman .

I really hate to hear that about the weather ! When I lived there I often wondered about all the people that plan their trips and spend all that money to go to the Keys to run into crap weather . Like you just stated windy and rainy . Of course when I lived there the only time I could get on the water was on the weekends (if I wasn't working) usually no wind monday thru friday . I was lucky enought to still be able to fish a few days per month , so I'm not complaining .

Sorry about your trip , now take it out on the fish at Home !
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,661 Captain
    try nrth carlna
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    try nrth carlna
    Huh??
    Thanks BD27. May try something more up key Largo way. Thats more like hr and a half closer. I'm sure after a while we'll try again but man it sure seems like theres more wind and rain down there than good weather...
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 814 Officer
    T i ts!
  • 2loud2loud Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    What a bummer for you? A charter that only caught 8 barely legal keepers. You need to go out with me. I'm no charter captain but I can put you on fish for free. The rain never stops me. As long as you have rainwear and no lightning it's a go. And I have a 23cc. Next time you come down let me know. The king run is coming soon. And I like knights key. I used to always stay there till my uncle got fired lol. But seriously now I fish out of summer land key. I'm from Miami , let me know when you wanna catch fish. I got you, how big is your boat?
    2loud wrote: »
    What a bummer for you? A charter that only caught 8 barely legal keepers. You need to go out with me. I'm no charter captain but I can put you on fish for free. The rain never stops me. As long as you have rainwear and no lightning it's a go. And I have a 23cc. Next time you come down let me know. The king run is coming soon. And I like knights key. I used to always stay there till my uncle got fired lol. But seriously now I fish out of summer land key. I'm from Miami , let me know when you wanna catch fish. I got you, how big is your boat?
    Thanks! I will! I mostly went on the charter as i've never done any of that type of fishing. (reef gishing) turns out i basically would of done it similar except in deeper water. They were on the reef, anout 30'.
    My boat is a very capable 21'. Not big but a great hull. Not sure when I'll return, right now i say i won't but am sure next yr I'll get the bug!
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    tunaman wrote: »
    but am sure next yr I'll get the bug!

you will. at least you recognize it lol