Oct 1: The Seascape of the Northern Florida Reef Tract

Dear Friend, The HHSFSSC’s next seminar, “The Seascape of the Northern Florida Reef Tract” is on Oct 1, 7 PM at Shenanigans East Side Pub, 1300 S Federal Highway, Dania, FL 33004 (just North of Sheridan St and Federal). Dr. Brian Walker and Ms. Amanda Costaregni from Nova SE U Oceanographic Center will be speaking about the new Our Florida Reef (OFR) Marine Planner software, showing us awesome maps of the ocean bottom offshore of SE FL, and getting our feedback for an Our Florida Reef survey about reef use. Besides all of the good food and people, this will be a very informative meeting with the experts who mapped the characteristics of the ocean bottom and our making these results available to all, and I hope U can make it. To learn more and to join this FREE club, please see

http://www.meetup.com/Hollywood-Hills-Saltwater-Fishing-Science-and-Social-Club/

cheers, O
The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.

Replies

• LiverockLiverock Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Hope to see you there Doc!
  • Sounds like a good one.

I would love to talk to Walker about the 2008 survey data and its purpose. Seems like it was used by the Corp as something it was not meant to be.
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Liverock wrote: »
    Hope to see you there Doc!

THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Sounds like a good one.

I would love to talk to Walker about the 2008 survey data and its purpose. Seems like it was used by the Corp as something it was not meant to be.

The Army Corp is our biggest threat to the coral here! Walker and colleagues' very awesome survey is publicly available. Stop by either of our next two meetings and learn about the smartphone app and the marine planner that I think is going to be made public this week. cheer, arthur