Home Politics

Nope, no voter fraud here...

CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain
Those progressives sure are overachievers! :grin

Bridgeport State Rep. Christina Ayala arrested on 19 voting fraud charges
State Rep. Christina “Tita” Ayala, D-Bridgeport, was arrested Friday on 19 voting fraud charges.

Ayala, 31, is accused of voting in local and state elections in districts she did not live, the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office said in a press release.

The arrest warrant affidavit also alleges Ayala provided fabricated evidence to state Election Enforcement Commission investigators that showed she lived at an address in a district where she voted while actually living outside the district, according to the release.

Ayala, who represents the 128th District, was elected in 2012, replacing her cousin, Andres Ayala, who was elected to the state Senate. She chose to run for reelection earlier this year, despite the voting fraud investigation, but lost a four-way primary in August.

The Elections Enforcement Commission referred the case to the Office of the Chief State’s Attorney in October 2013, recommending criminal charges.

Ayala allegedly voted in various Bridgeport Democratic Town Committee elections, a municipal primary election and a state primary election between 2009 and 2012 in districts inconsistent with the location of her residence, according to the release. She is also accused of voting in the Bridgeport state general election in 2012 in a district where she didn’t live.

According to the Connecticut Post, Ayala’s mother, Santa, was also investigated by the Elections Enforcement Commission. The commission also recommended criminal charges be filed against Santa Ayala, the Democratic registrar of voters in Bridgeport, but none have been filed as of Friday.

Christina Ayala was charged with eight counts of fraudulent voting, 10 counts of primary or enrollment violations and one count of tampering with or fabricating physical evidence.

According to the release, fraudulent voting is a felony punishable by not less than one year or more than two years in prison and a fine of $300 to $500 per count. Primary or enrollment violations and tampering with or fabricating physical evidence are class D felonies carrying a maximum prison sentence of up to five years per count.

Ayala’s arrest is not her first run-in with the law since her political career began in 2012.

She was fined $350 for a hit-and-run car accident shortly after winning the 2012 Democratic primary for the House seat. She later got into a fight with her boyfriend and faced domestic violence charges, which were dropped after she completed counseling.

In this case, Ayala was released on a promise to appear in court Oct. 7 for her arraignment.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

http://www.nhregister.com/government-and-politics/20140926/bridgeport-state-rep-christina-ayala-arrested-on-19-voting-fraud-charges?fb_locale=id_ID

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,277 AG
    What would have solved this problem besides catching her and punishing her.

the issue isn't that some voter fraud happens, but would the new laws being proposed by some republicans stop the problem. A few of the usual proposals

1)Voter I.D.- would not have stopped this since she produced false documents

2) NO early voting or reduced early voting - would not have stopped this.

3)decreased voting locations - would not have stopped this

4) eliminate same day registration - This might be the only one that could help since it would allow time to verify documents

This appears to be another issue where the registration process and not the voting process is the problem.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    Liberal nut jobs say voting fraud doesn't matter.
  • White DogWhite Dog Posts: 5,343 Officer
    Remember amnesty is not about compassion for illegals......it's about unstopable overwelming voter fraud.
    The White Dog.........R.I.P..........1996 - June 2nd, 2011
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,759 AG
    To put this in perspective, the 31 incidents below come in the context of general, primary, special, and municipal elections from 2000 through 2014. In general and primary elections alone, more than 1 billion ballots were cast in that period.

Odds?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/06/a-comprehensive-investigation-of-voter-impersonation-finds-31-credible-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/
    Vote for the other candidate
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Wow, they found one! Stop everything until we can pass more laws and increase the size of our government to monitor and detect voter fraud.

We need more laws.

tag wrote: »
    Liberal nut jobs say voting fraud doesn't matter.

Please show us one posting where someone said voting fraud "doesn't matter".
  • silvergsilverg Posts: 1,456 Officer
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Wow, they found one! Stop everything until we can pass more laws and increase the size of our government to monitor and detect voter fraud.

We need more laws.

Please show us one posting where someone said voting fraud "doesn't matter".

Look above your post.
    silverg wrote: »
    Look above your post.

Holy crap on a cracker... they found 31/1,000,000,000=0.0000031% rate of fraud.

Quick, pass more laws! We need more laws. We need a bigger government to monitor and detect this outrageous fraud.

OK Tag, I suppose my statements above could be construed as "voter fraud doesn't matter".

I can't help but wonder how accurate the voting process really is. Forget for a moment the 31 out of a billion "known" cases of fraud, if it were actually zero, what do any of you suppose the accuracy percentage is for tallying the votes? I'll bet the voting machines commit more "unintentional" fraud than 0.0000031%. Touch screen voting machines can record votes incorrectly, and card reader voting machines can misread the markings.
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    To put this in perspective, the 31 incidents below come in the context of general, primary, special, and municipal elections from 2000 through 2014. In general and primary elections alone, more than 1 billion ballots were cast in that period.

Odds?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/06/a-comprehensive-investigation-of-voter-impersonation-finds-31-credible-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

Much higher odds of repub politicians diddling little boys.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • White DogWhite Dog Posts: 5,343 Officer
    All I want is ID and no same day registration.
    Hardly requires a bigger gov.
    Nice try though.
    The White Dog.........R.I.P..........1996 - June 2nd, 2011
  • TowersTowers Posts: 681 Officer
    The last time i went to vote... they where letting non english speaking people vote without an I.D. all the polling staff where liberals controlling the polls.. and they let anyone vote.. but the white guy... ME.. !! they asked for I.D.
    Towers wrote: »
    The last time i went to vote... they where letting non english speaking people vote without an I.D. all the polling staff where liberals controlling the polls.. and they let anyone vote.. but the white guy... ME.. !! they asked for I.D.

No, they don't let anyone vote. They find the name given to them on the voter rolls, then make the voter sign under their name attesting that they are who they say they are.... at the risk of jail if they are committing fraud. I trust non-English speaking citizens to do the right thing more than all you ungrateful bratty white anglo saxon born in the USA I'm better than everyone else voters. They LIKE living here. They live here by CHOICE.

By the way, you could have simply said you don't have an ID. You would still have been allowed to vote.
  • ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,839 Captain
    White Dog wrote: »
    All I want is ID and no same day registration.
    Hardly requires a bigger gov.
    Nice try though.
    So nothing as intrusive and expensive as, for instance, the TSA? Perhaps requiring ID to vote won't bring on the apocalypse.
    It's weird how vehemently opposed the dems and libs are to such a small thing. And we know why.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,759 AG
    Throttle wrote: »
    And we know why.

Please explain. Examples of massive voter fraud would help your argument.
    Vote for the other candidate