Had one of the funnest days ever on the water today...

Got out on the water by 5:45 this morning... big outgoing tide all day today. Netted some moharras just in case I got lazy and wanted to fish live bait and headed off to spot 1.
15 # tarpon in boat.
15 # tarpon touched leader and he shook it as I was going to grab him
Both on white terroreyz.
bite slowed down so I headed out to deeper water... this was about 8:00 now.
Started to drift with a hogy paddle tail bouncing on the bottom and a deep running baitbuster just off the bottom. Within 10 minutes my drag starts screeeeeeming and I have what looks like a 100# or so tarpon... maybe bigger. Fought him for about 5 minutes, made it through 4 or 5 nice jumps, and he dove straight to the bottom. I got him right under the boat in 20' of water and as I was pulling him up the dang hook popped out. :willynilly
Well I had a huge grin on my face and that totally made my day so I was happy. Tried to drift some more but never hooked up again with anything but sail cats (using the moharra and also on terroreyz).
It's now about 10:30 so I head back to spot 1.
Hooked into a BIG snook, fought it for a few minutes and went to grab it and he shook one more time and spit the hook. It was a solid mid 30's snook. I was a little miffed and almost threw my rod in the water. Lol. Glad I didn't. I sat there and felt sorry for myself for a minute then got the sand out of my panties and started casting again...
I kid you not in the next hour I caught a 33" snook (got it in the boat and released it), had the biggest snook of my life try to spool me and I just couldn't stop it... saw it come to the surface once and then he was gone... had two more snook that were easily mid 30's + spit the hook after a couple of drag screaming runs... and one more snook that was every bit of 40" spit it right as he got to the boat.
Every one of these fish were caught on a white/black back terroreyz 1/4 oz.

I had so much stinkin fun today... I wish I had a go pro to relive this one over and over again.

On a side note... my new to me Penn Conflict 4000 (my first Penn reel) was great. I love the drag on it. It might be my new favorite reel... even over the Cabo, Smoke, and all my Stradics. Cheaper too, so that's always good.
Paired up with 15# power pro slick and a Calico Jack 7'6" Medium... I likes it.

Tight lines all. The girls are back in town.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    **** I hate it when I get sand in my panties. So irritating. Lol
    Good job man.
    Nice report
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,071 Admiral
    Good job! sounds like a great day on the water
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    :thumbsup
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    All that while I am sitting around itching for some fishing. Good report.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,808 Captain
    Ahh man I forgot your boat was down. I should have called you. My bad.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    Nicely done. :applause
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,808 Captain
    Here's a pic of the 33" snook.

4D672D9B-A1B7-45C5-9852-659EFD5BADC1_zps08qbzjrv.jpg

Nobody else on the boat so I couldn't do the obligatory arms straight out make it look huuuuge picture.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,731 Captain
    nice job!!
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Fantastic day out there....sounds like you had a real blast. Tarpon and overslot snook....way to go.
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    The PENN Conflict is a great reel! I got one for my anniversary and have fought some big reds with it but no big snook so far. Drag system is just like you said and it isn't as heavy as the battle reels I have. I still think I like my Okuma a little more but maybe because I've used it for a lot longer.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I have tried a friend's Penn Conflict and I agree its nice. I bought a Cabo and I love the drag system, plus they say the bearings are sealed so it is durable in the salt environment. The only thing I hate about it is the bail. Its really flimsy. We will see how it holds up.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder how many fishing rods does a guy need... my collection keeps growing and I can only use one at a time.

Congrats on a nice day on the water!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,567 Moderator
    RMD wrote: »
    I have tried a friend's Penn Conflict and I agree its nice. I bought a Cabo and I love the drag system, plus they say the bearings are sealed so it is durable in the salt environment. The only thing I hate about it is the bail. Its really flimsy. We will see how it holds up.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder how many fishing rods does a guy need... my collection keeps growing and I can only use one at a time.

Congrats on a nice day on the water!

Someday they will find a cure but till then the addiction is fun and for the most part harmless.
    larrywitt
  • redrocket1986redrocket1986 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Love those conflicts!! Great fish man
    Hobie Outback ~TheRedRocket~
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Nice fish and report as always. If only Florida State and Alabama would quit winning I'd have more time !
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    larrywitt wrote: »
    Someday they will find a cure but till then the addiction is fun and for the most part harmless.
    larrywitt

Lol. This is so true. Unfortunately I have picked up another addiction as well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]