Home Politics

Obamaphone

2»

Replies

• Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    Yup, just think so many years of having a free phone and all you and your wife have to do is make less than $20K a year. Just think of all the assets you could have accumulated saying that $20 a month. Naturally you are broke and cannot afford most likely even food to eat .. but you'd have a free phone. That certainly outweighs the benefits of a family making $100K a year . . free phone . . yes sir . . I suggest you quit your job and sell everything starting with you're computer.

Good lord $20 k is the requirement for a free phone......I'm out....lol
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    Good lord $20 k is the requirement for a free phone......I'm out....lol

$20K or less for a family of 2!
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    $20K or less for a family of 2!

Can a couple really live on that, hell I own my house free and clear......but a $2k budget.....that would be a serious stretch
    Can a couple really live on that, hell I own my house free and clear......but a $2k budget.....that would be a serious stretch

That's really the issue . . many think that getting government funds puts those receiving them in a Bentley when the reality is I, and most, would never want to be in a position to warrant the use of these "handouts".
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    It should not be the responsibility of the American Taxpayer to supply a pair of sneakers, a bowl of hamburger helper or a phone to anyone.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    That's really the issue . . many think that getting government funds puts those receiving them in a Bentley when the reality is I, and most, would never want to be in a position to warrant the use of these "handouts".

Why don't you try to get out of your entitlement mindset for just a minute and read the article. Double the people who should be eligible for the free handout of other peoples hard earned money are getting the taxpayer funded phone. This means either Obama has f'd up the economy so bad that double the people are poor enough to qualify or people of means are ripping off the taxpayers.
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    fins4me wrote: »
    It should not be the responsibility of the American Taxpayer to supply a pair of sneakers, a bowl of hamburger helper or a phone to anyone.

Oddly absent is your lack of taxpayer responsibility to farmers.....
    Oddly absent is your lack of taxpayer responsibility to farmers.....

IF you can show one post that represents your claim then by all means do so.. If not you have simply reinforced the opinion that you are a liar.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer

Nor should we supply crop failure insurance.
    Chubasco.jpg
    chubasco wrote: »
    Nor should we supply crop failure insurance.

ok,, good trade off. No crop ins no other entitlements. I like it.
    "Today is MINE"

The America I was raised in, you helped out those in need. No American should go hungry or not have shelter, and it should not be at the expense of their humanity/humility. Any American in real need is the responsibility of every American.
    tag wrote: »
    Why don't you try to get out of your entitlement mindset for just a minute and read the article. Double the people who should be eligible for the free handout of other peoples hard earned money are getting the taxpayer funded phone. This means either Obama has f'd up the economy so bad that double the people are poor enough to qualify or people of means are ripping off the taxpayers.

You worry about this . . I'll worry about 25% of American Corporations that pay NO Tax.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,317 AG
    A few fact about the ObamaPhone

1) It is called the LifeLine program. It was not created by Obama. It began in 1934 as a mean to provide rural phone service. Due to to Telecommunications act of 1996, in 1998 the Universal Service Charge was instituted and the Universal Service Administrative Company was founded to be in charge of collecting and spending this money with Congressional Approval. The intent was to provide a discount home phone service to low income people. In 2008 the Universal Service Administrative Company expanded the service to include cell carriers due to Cell service being cheaper than landline in some areas.

2) The program does not offer free phones or free service. It offers a discount of $10 per month to those who qualify and $200 up front to install landline service. I don't know the up front money to cell providers, if any. Many low price cell providers use this $10 credit to offer cheap phones and limited service (usually 200 to 300 minutes and texting).

3) The program is funded entirely by the USC fee and does not use any other taxpayer dollars. Due to expansion of Cellular and internet services since the 90s, the Universal Service Administrative Company has a lot of revenue to spend on the program. The USC fee generates about $9 billion a year in revenue to spend on various programs. The USAC has about $700 million in cash reserves.

4) the LifeLine program is one of several programs supported by the USC fee. The others are:

a)The High Cost program - It is a program designed to keep rural phone service cheap. It uses subsidies top certain phone service areas to be sure the monthly charge is within the range of cheaper urban areas. Your phone service could be supported by this subsidy program.
    b) Rural Healthcare Program - It provides funding to eligible health care providers (HCPs) for telecommunications and broadband services necessary for the provision of health care.
    c) The Schools and Library Program - this program provides money to help schools and libraries to obtain affordable telecommunications services, broadband Internet access and internal network connections. You child's school and your local library likely receives funding from this program.

The FCC has implemented changes to cut back on the number of people getting phones and eliminating the fraud involved. the program has had its share of problem since it began letting phone companies use the money to offer cell service. The FCC and the major phone companies want to fix the problem and do so quickly. There are future programs to roll out involving broadband to rural areas and other services to rural and low income people.

The USAC 2013 report
    http://usac.org/_res/documents/about/pdf/annual-reports/usac-annual-report-2013.pdf

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

So,, instead of my tax dollars being used against my will for the program,,,, my cell phone bill dollars are being used against my will for it.

still sucks
    "Today is MINE"
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,317 AG
    So,, instead of my tax dollars being used against my will for the program,,,, my cell phone bill dollars are being used against my will for it.

still sucks

Actually, your cell phone bill, your home phone bill, your business phone bill. All telecommunications are covered under the act. The FCC does not require the phone company to collect this from you. They just require the phone company to pay them the fee.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain
    The America I was raised in, you helped out those in need. No American should go hungry or not have shelter, and it should not be at the expense of their humanity/humility. Any American in real need is the responsibility of every American.

Nice touchy feely blather, I noticed you chose to use the word "American" and NOT "US Citizen".
    CatBox wrote: »
    Nice touchy feely blather, I noticed you chose to use the word "American" and NOT "US Citizen".

Potato potaato. Regardless, it is a glaring difference between the parties. Dem's want to help, Repub's want to take.
  • mikehelsmikehels Posts: 2,981 Officer
    SAENole wrote: »
    Obamaphones were created by Reagan, so it's his fault.

Were there even cellphones (on a large consumer basis) when Reagan was in office??
  • TowersTowers Posts: 681 Officer
    Obama gonna pay of my cell fone and he gonna pay of my mortgage... (can't find that video of the woman)