Hillsboro Inlet 9/20 Report Wahoo frenzy!!!

We left late Saturday morning waiting to see what the storms were going to do. We finally left the inlet at around 8:30 am. Ocean was like a lake, we were on a high tide and we had cloudy overcast conditions. It was a perfect storm for some nice tasty Wahoo!

We started high speed (10-11 knots) trolling at about 125 straight out of the inlet. We started with 2 yozuri bonitas one blue/purple and one orange. About 30 min into heading north, we get nailed and cut off on the orange lure and the inline lead weight (48 oz). There goes $75! We replace that lure with a green and black balyhood Wahoo Express. At this time we also decide to put out a short line just behind the prop wash. We put out a black and red ballyhood wahoo wacko. I bought the entire set and i love the way they pull. Checked the other bonita yozuri and the lure was gone! The wahoo really hit them hard sometimes.

At 9:15 am I get a call form TLUV and give him the update, and he says "forget about the wahoo, its too late in the morning,the bite is over. Head out to 17miles and get some dolphin!" I say, we will give until 10am and then we are heading deep!

15 minutes later BAM! the middle short red and black gets nailed. My son cranks him in and it was a nice 25-30lb wahoo. We gaff him in the boat and keep truckin'! 10 minutes later, BAM, the green and black lure gets nailed. This guy was smaller, about 12-15lbs. Needless to say we were excited. Kept trolling north and got one more hit, but he let it go.

We then decided to head due east and follow TLUV's advice. At about the 12 mile line we see a massive weedline with about 10 boats on it. We roll up and do some casting and catch one small keep 20 1/4 barely.... but a keeper.

We cast some more but they seemed to be deep. We decided to setup and troll and we nailed a nice Bull. It was around 12 noon and we decided to run home.

All in all a good day on the water for 4 hours worth of work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Replies

• Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Nice!
  • TLUVTLUV Posts: 265 Officer
    Good job Kelly! Way to not give up even when your buddy tells you to head offshore and that it's to late for the wahoo bite!!!! I enjoyed the wahoo by the way!!! Nice work
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    hey great work keep it up!
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Very nice!
  • area52area52 Posts: 519 Officer
    That is a good day. Great going.
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    awesome. how many rods do you normally pull when fishing for wahoo? would one with a deep running wahoo lure work?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • The Lazy MarlinThe Lazy Marlin Posts: 83 Deckhand
    awesome job on the hoos! we were out there saturday morning as well but no hoos :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 2015 SeaVee 37z
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    Great catch.
    2015 Hobie Outback.
  • rhino2000rhino2000 Posts: 184 Officer
    gsweaver wrote: »
    awesome. how many rods do you normally pull when fishing for wahoo? would one with a deep running wahoo lure work?

I always pull three. Two staggered (one 6-7 count and one 9-10 count) on the gunnels on the angle rod holders with bent butt rods, and one short just past the second prop wash wave. I pull a 24 OZ cigar weight with a bullet head lure with dark colors (so it stands out) in the prop wash and 14-20oz bullet lures (ballyhood Wahoo wacko and Wahoo express) on the outside rods with no inline weight. My lucky colors with Wahoo has always been purple/black #1 by far, then green/black #2, and red/black #3.

I run between 9-11 knots depending on conditions. Flat calm i kick it up to 12 knots. The higher speed and larger lures will eliminate the bonito and smaller fish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.