Home General Hunting

make shift drag for bedding small seeds.... question.

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
so, I am currently in possession of a length of chain link and one 10 for section telephone pole 12 inches in diameter. Was not able to plant today. Shooting for next weekend.

Right now I've got chain link nailed into a piece of lumber and some cinder blocks in back of truck. This was my plan, but a buddy brought that telephone pole section by yesterday pm.

I was thinking about wrapping pole in chain link and pulling it. Thoughts? Sounded great to me, but buddy said too heavy.

?
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• james 14james 14 Posts: 3,021 Moderator
    About all I can add is that I don't see the need in wrapping the pole. I think you'd want the length of the chain link to be used in smoothing out the dirt. If you wrap the pole without the length of chain you risk dirt piling up in front of the pole due to its weight depending on the softness of the dirt. You may actually have this problem whether you wrap the pole or not.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    ah... So you are saying chain link dragging behind naked pole? That's the theory. Next concern is weight of pole being too much.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,021 Moderator
    ah... So you are saying chain link dragging behind naked pole? That's the theory. Next concern is weight of pole being too much.

Either that or the pole laid across the front of the chain but, as you said, it may still be too much weight in one place causing the dirt to pile in front of it. Adding the cinder blocks on top of the fencing behind the pole will offset the weight of a pole a bit. What are you dragging it with?
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I just use a pallet. When it breaks or rots, I go load up another one
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    Will use tractor to pull.

My section of chain link is lose... No pipes front, back or lengthwise. That bring the case where should I put cinder blocks and how.in the world would they counteract weight up front?

Sounds to me like I'll just shtick with chain link with Little weight up front.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    Pallet works well or chain link with a couple tires or blocks lashed to it. I use a pipe on the front to keep the chain link spread out.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 404 Deckhand
    When I was growing up, my dad kept a full sized mattress (may have been a box spring foundation) that had been thrown on a fire and burnt down to nothing but the springs leaned up against the back of the barn. When he would sow his winter greens, he would hook it behind the old John Deere "M" and drag them in. It left the patch smooth as a baby's butt.
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    Trying to drag in seed or are you smoothing the plot before planting?

If trying to drag in clover seed, I use a piece of fence with a pallet on top.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
    Agree with others. Telephone pole probably too much weight. Like Chuck said, I like something rigid at the front of the chain link (4x4 post or pipe) to keep it spread out and you want enough weight to keep the fence in contact with the soil but you don't want to overdo it which will bury some seeds too deep.